Rush Medical College Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those Mar. 21 interviewees that know my true alias, please keep it a secret. :laugh:

Just kidding, hope everyone did well, and best of luck as we wait!

hahah i am one of those who knows your true alias! good luck to u! :luck: do u think we're going to hear back by that 2nd week in april?

Members don't see this ad.

hahah i am one of those who knows your true alias! good luck to u! :luck: do u think we're going to hear back by that 2nd week in april?

I am guessing by April 22 we will know for sure (by the end of that April 15 week). Good luck and tell everyone how it goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys, i was wondering if anyone knew if Rush takes the best composite mcat score or the best from each section.... i was interviewed not too long ago and am anxiously awaiting my decision. i know my question about mcat score doesn't matter at this point, but its bugging me NOT to know.

docemari - I don't think there is any averaging of MCAT scores or anything specific like that, but I am sure they take it all into account. There is also much more that is looked at than just your MCAT score, so keep that in mind!

To any of you who might remember this from Interview Day or any current Rush students--I have a few nitpicky questions:

1. Are M1s given the option to purchase a parking pass in the Rush Garage?
2. How many people are we allowed to invite to the white coat ceremony, and where is it usually held? (There are some schols that only let you invite 2-3 ppl. and that is really sad to me... it will be one of the proudest moments of my life up to this point!)
3. What kind of evening activities are offered during orientation week (ball games, Chicago river cruises, etc) and are we allowed to bring significant others along for that?

I have been browsing the Rush webpages but have not found the answers to these questions, so any help would be great!

Thanks!:oops:

docemari - I don't think there is any averaging of MCAT scores or anything specific like that, but I am sure they take it all into account. There is also much more that is looked at than just your MCAT score, so keep that in mind!

To any of you who might remember this from Interview Day or any current Rush students--I have a few nitpicky questions:

2. How many people are we allowed to invite to the white coat ceremony, and where is it usually held? (There are some schols that only let you invite 2-3 ppl. and that is really sad to me... it will be one of the proudest moments of my life up to this point!)
3. What kind of evening activities are offered during orientation week (ball games, Chicago river cruises, etc) and are we allowed to bring significant others along for that?

I have been browsing the Rush webpages but have not found the answers to these questions, so any help would be great!

I can tell you that I think parking in the main tower is $40 a month (could have been $30...), but as far as questions 2 and 3, I have no idea.

So they have a match list thread set up on pre-allo but I didn't see Rush's match list on there. Does anyone have it or know if it's online?

They gave us a list at the interview on Monday. I'm not sure if it was from this year, but I'll check. If it is I'll post it.

To those of you that got accepted...Did you feel that your interviews went really well? Also did anyone send in a letter of intent?

I really want to go there but am worried because althought I definitely did not feel like my interview went badly I am not sure that either of my interviewers liked me. Neither showed much emotion so I really could not get a read on either of them...no real signs of approval or disapproval. I felt like I gave solid answers though.

Sorry just getting worried because this was my one and only shot at getting in this year. And I have been to the school a handful of times and know that it is a good fit for me.

KCT15...you should write a letter of intent. I think that will help. Rush wants students who want to go to Rush, Jill said that it is a numbers game but they try to accept those who they feel want to be there. I wouldn't worry too much about the interview unless you got really bad vibes from them, I would keep in contact with Jill as she could be the one who could really push for you come decision time (even though I think she is a non-voting member?). Good Luck :luck:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Rush vs Pritzker?

just got my estimated financial package. i was moderately surprised. anyone else get theirs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure I'll be at Rush this fall. It's between there, UIC, and Loyola, but I'm tired of going to school in the suburbs, and I didn't like UIC at all. I got my fin. aid packet today, I think something might be incorrect because it contradicted itself. $62k for M1 year though...wow. Expensive proposition here.

I'm a Chicago native currently at school in Atlanta, but eager to return to one of my favorite cities in the world. Center Court looks super convenient, but definitely a bit on the pricey side compared to some of the nearby apartments I've found on craigslist just at a quick glance.

just got my estimated financial package. i was moderately surprised. anyone else get theirs?

ya i just got mine too. . . it doesn't look so good. :( may be a deal breaker for me if u of c offers me more as I think they offer a lot more grant $. Somehow the FAFSA thought I would empty my entire bank account my first year. . . .

I was pretty surprised that, considering the cost of attendance is 62000/year, the maximum grant one can receive is 14000. But I have always detested the financial aid beast. No one ever talks about the impact a generation of graduates with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt will have on the economy.

Here is a web site that was for Rush 2005 orientation...white coat ceremony...etc
I think you can get a rough idea of what to expect :) It's got a lot of good info!

For some reason I thought it would be around $50000 so I was pretty surprised to see that it was in fact more than 10G's more. I'm borrowing like 30,000 in UNsub. loans. That doesn't look good.

ya i just got mine too. . . it doesn't look so good. :( may be a deal breaker for me if u of c offers me more as I think they offer a lot more grant $. Somehow the FAFSA thought I would empty my entire bank account my first year. . . .

Is that how FAFSA works? I've been working for 7 yrs and have saved up quite a bit for retirement. So I'm I going to get screwed for working hard and saving my money? Are there any tricks for protecting some of the money so I don't have to completely wipe out my retirement savings? I'm not looking to do anything unethical, but was wondering if there is any way for me to be smart with my money. For those of us that are nontraditional and have been putting away for retirement it seems like the system would put us way behind a more traditional student.

Is that how FAFSA works? I've been working for 7 yrs and have saved up quite a bit for retirement. So I'm I going to get screwed for working hard and saving my money? Are there any tricks for protecting some of the money so I don't have to completely wipe out my retirement savings? I'm not looking to do anything unethical, but was wondering if there is any way for me to be smart with my money. For those of us that are nontraditional and have been putting away for retirement it seems like the system would put us way behind a more traditional student.

One thing I would recommend is putting as much as you are able in your 401K. If I remember correctly on FAFSA you only need to report what what taken out of your paycheck the past year. So this doesn't include the employer match (if your employer has one), tax-deferral benefit, or any gain, which can be substantial if you have a good fund lineup to pick from. Also, I'm not sure of the exact formula, but I would think that they treat these funds as less liquid as say those in your bank account so they may count you as having less disposable income. One place I bonked is I didn't put my bonuses into my 401K so I missed out on my match % as well as the tax deferral. However, I wasn't sure if going to med school was a good enough reason to remove funds prior to retirement without penalty so I wanted a $ buffer for living.....

So if I could go back I would try and put as much as I could into 401K or IRA account as you are reporting current bank account values but last year's payments to retirement accounts. All the better, if you can find out if your plan considers grad education a "significant life change" and allows you to remove funds if needed without penalty. Had I known my bank account would be wiped out in one foul swoop I would rather have had my funds making 20%+ in my 401k bc interest will definitely NOT be that much and I would have still had gain in the long run. I guess working for a financial editorial firm the last 2 years hasn't taught me anything! :p Case in point as to why I wanna be a doc. :)

why is this thread so dead??! Hey ya'll, you doing Second Look on the 20th? I was a little dismayed because I've been trying (like everyone else in the world) to reach Rush for a few months -with no success- to ask about this date b/c I knew April would be a busy month. Of course, with a whole 2 weeks advance notice, I can't go now, which bums me out, but how about others? Or has the whole fin aid - or lack thereof - deflated some of that YAY!RUSH enthusiasm?

why is this thread so dead??! Hey ya'll, you doing Second Look on the 20th? I was a little dismayed because I've been trying (like everyone else in the world) to reach Rush for a few months -with no success- to ask about this date b/c I knew April would be a busy month. Of course, with a whole 2 weeks advance notice, I can't go now, which bums me out, but how about others? Or has the whole fin aid - or lack thereof - deflated some of that YAY!RUSH enthusiasm?

Unlike you lucky ones, I have to wait until April 15thish to see my fate. Thus, I have little reason to be posting here as a "hopeful member of the RMC class of 2011." In fact, technically, I shouldn't be allowed to post here at all!

Anyways, found this article (actually excerpt from a book), thought it was really interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/health/03essa.html?_r=1&ref=health&oref=slogin

I'll be there the 20th!! :D Anyone else?

Financial aid kinda dampened my enthusiasm. I'm trying to decide if its worth taking on more than $50k MORE debt to go to Rush over UIC...ugh.

ill be there. every school i have a chance of attending have similar tuition rates.

and donut im sorry but i dont know the rates for the fitness center. did u find out?

Financial aid kinda dampened my enthusiasm. I'm trying to decide if its worth taking on more than $50k MORE debt to go to Rush over UIC...ugh.

Paco - I am trying to decide the exact same thing as you!! (And the way I've calculated... it's more like 70-80k more for tuition at Rush over the four years...) I am beyond torn, and now we can't go to both second look visits either since they are on the same day at the same time! What's your inclination? I could use any insights into this!

and donut im sorry but i dont know the rates for the fitness center. did u find out?

I didn't. I was going to ask on the 20th.

2. I don't think they limited the number of people we could bring to the white coat ceremony, but it was held in a pretty small room (in the professional building of the hospital), so a lot of family members were in the room next door watching on live video feed.
3. During orientation week we had a BBQ, a happy hour, went bowling one night, and went to a few bars I think. You're busy during the day, so its mostly just evening activities. You are more than welcome to bring significant others.

In response to someone else's question, the gym membership at UIC costs $450, but Rush will reimburse you for $150 (you'll end up paying $300).

I will be there on the 20th!!! (and I don't know about my financial aid stuff yet...)

i'll be there on the 20th as well. excited to meet you all.

Hey everyone!!! Just curious if anyone interviewed on Feb. 23rd and if anyone's going to Rush from Philly? See ya'll for the second look next friday.

I'll see you guys on the 20th! :)

2. I don't think they limited the number of people we could bring to the white coat ceremony, but it was held in a pretty small room (in the professional building of the hospital), so a lot of family members were in the room next door watching on live video feed.
3. During orientation week we had a BBQ, a happy hour, went bowling one night, and went to a few bars I think. You're busy during the day, so its mostly just evening activities. You are more than welcome to bring significant others.

In response to someone else's question, the gym membership at UIC costs $450, but Rush will reimburse you for $150 (you'll end up paying $300).

Do you know how much it is for the multiplex downtown?

Paco - I am trying to decide the exact same thing as you!! (And the way I've calculated... it's more like 70-80k more for tuition at Rush over the four years...) I am beyond torn, and now we can't go to both second look visits either since they are on the same day at the same time! What's your inclination? I could use any insights into this!

You're right, it's looking to be around an $80K difference for me too. I won't be in town for either second look, which is probably better because I feel like they sway you in emotional ways when you really need to use some logic in this decision. I'm really leaning toward Rush at this point based on the clinical training and a pretty negative view of UIC I got from every student I talked to there. I just hope I don't go to Rush, end up with $80K more debt, somehow enter a low paying primary care specialty, and spend most of my life cursing my debt load :D

Has anyone here received a form with their acceptance regarding a deposit or a way to accept a seat in the class? I was accepted and haven't received any information about this.

I will be joining you all this fall, I am 99.99% sure. I just got the evite, but don't know if I can make it this Friday. Sorry everyone!

I will be joining you all this fall, I am 99.99% sure. I just got the evite, but don't know if I can make it this Friday. Sorry everyone!

Congrats! Where else r u thinking about going?

Congrats! Where else r u thinking about going?

I am still waiting on UIC and Loyola, but Rush is really my top choice...

So perhaps I should rethink my percentage, and change it to 99.9999999% :)

I am still waiting on UIC and Loyola, but Rush is really my top choice...

So perhaps I should rethink my percentage, and change it to 99.9999999% :)

Jut curious.. why would you pick Rush over Loyola?

J

J

don't know dr. d's reasons, but i can think of a few myself. i'm not necessarily saying that rush is better. each school is great but in different ways.
so, rush over loyola because:
1. the location. maywood isn't that great of an area
2. rush offers 'on-campus' housing while loyola does not
3. some are turned off by the nature of jesuit or catholic schools
4. rush's affiliation with better hospitals

i'll post more as they come to me.

Just curious, why would you pick Rush over UIC? Maybe you are not in state.. so the OOS tuition is obviously a rob.

J

Well, I currently stand accepted at Rush, and am waiting for an interview at UIC and Loyola. In all honesty, and I apologize if this statement sounds arrogant, but I believe I haven't (and probably will not) earn an interview with UIC or Loyola this application cycle as I:
a) Took the August MCAT (troubles of late applicant)
(UIC) b) Have not taken a course to fulfill the behavioral science requirement (I was told be staff that it was ok because I planned on taking 2 psychology courses this coming summer, so my application would be complete before matriculation)
c) Other reasons I don't know of
(Loyola) d)I can see myself not being a good fit for the Loyola program because of my experiences and background.

I can understandably see why reason b above is a dilemma of my application, as other students have finished this requirement and I have not (for good reasons I will not dwell into). For d, just learning more about the school from fellow applicants, I can see why I might not fit in with the overall mission at Loyola.

That being said, I would lean towards Rush regardless mainly because:
a) The overall community gives me a good vibe.
b) The academic programs are relatively identical (essentially same hospitals for UIC; RUMC really impressed me too).
c) I am interested in possibly pursuing neurology (RUMC 8th in the nation, tops in Illinois)/ neuroradiology/ radiology, and I feel Rush would be the best place for me to integrate my specific background into my future as a medical professional.

As most people have said, the biggest drawback is private vs. public in-state tuition.

Hope this helped, and feel free to message me any specifics. Sorry for the long post!

i thought i'd be able to figure out who some of you folks were at the second look. but alas. i have no clue.

what did you all think of the day?

i thought i'd be able to figure out who some of you folks were at the second look. but alas. i have no clue.

what did you all think of the day?

Couldn't make it, otherwise I would've tracked you down. Me and Turk were on call last Friday. :D

The thread is dying... Where is everyone? Where are all the people who went to second look??... How did it go? Did it affect your decision? Did you guys get any important information those who didn't go should know?

hey rush-folk,

I just decided I'm going for sure.

I missed 2nd look day by a day, but I went up on Saturday to get myself psyched up! I think its going to be a great experience.

Housing question: Is anyone else thinking about living in pilsen? The rent is great and i love the latino culture going on on 18th street. I basically found the apartment of my dreams, but I wanted to ask any Chicagoans if there are any reasons I should NOT live in pilsen?

I'm new to the whole SDN, but I saw that some people had posted personal info. I'm 25, engaged, born and raised in Champaign IL, went to UWC in NM for high school, Colby College in Maine for undergrad. I'm working in a rehab center now, but i may bail to go travel with my girl before I'm locked down for a few years...and yes, i absolutely adored RUSH!

Let me know where y'all are planning on living. I don't think I could do on-campus, but maybe we could get a little "Rush enclave" going in one of the nearby neighborhoods.

keep posting--this thread rocks!

Bobby