Rush Medical College (full scholarship) or UC Davis (full scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousbunnie2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It's me again asking for some help. This WL movement still has me torn between a school decision. I've been fortunate to have received an acceptance off of the WL and full scholarship offer from Rush Medical College. Now, I'm torn between staying in California and accepting the full tuition offer at UC Davis. I went to undergrad in the Midwest and absolutely loved my time there, but CA has always been home. But to be honest, I'm worried about Rush because of being so far away from my family for 4 years. I'm set on internal medicine, but I may be open to pursue other specialties. If any Rush and/or UC Davis students can speak on their experiences, that would be appreciated!

UC Davis

Pros:

• Full-scholarship plus cheaper cost of living in Sacramento
  • Diverse student body
  • Accessible support resources
  • Proximity to nationally ranked medical center
Cons:
  • Less prestige?
  • Less opportunities to match outside of California

Rush:

Pros:

• Personal alignment with the mission
  • Felt like students and faculty are very involved
  • Diversity
  • CHICAGO, way more things to do there compared to Sacramento
  • Impressive Match lists
Cons:
  • Really far from home
  • More expensive to live in Chicago compared to Sacramento
  • Newer curriculum that I hear students aren't a fan of

Members don't see this ad.

Weren’t you the one who also got a full tuition scholarship offer to UCLA/Drew? Is there a reason you’re not considering UCLA anymore?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you see yourself ending up in CA? I don't think it's that you can't match outside of CA from UCSD - I think it's just that most people want to stay. Also is Rush really more prestigious than UCSD? To me the cons for UCSD don't seem that big but for Rush (not being w family, $$, curriculum people don't like) seem like big cons so I would go with UCSD

Do you see yourself ending up in CA? I don't think it's that you can't match outside of CA from UCSD - I think it's just that most people want to stay. Also is Rush really more prestigious than UCSD? To me the cons for UCSD don't seem that big but for Rush (not being w family, $$, curriculum people don't like) seem like big cons so I would go with UCSD
I see myself in California, but I'd also like the possibility of either staying in Chicago or even going to the East Coast, which is another why I'm still considering Rush