Rush Medical College vs University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

striker15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to both these schools, and trying to gauge both of them fairly.
I know their curriculums are similar and grading systems are different but anything other than this? Clinical experience? Prestige in medical field? Money difference isn't really an issue either. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

What about proximity to family/friends/support network?

Based on hearsay, both schools seem comparable enough to each other and without any relative dealbreakers that I'd probably decide based on location, family and money.

If money isn't an issue, I'd probably go with Rush just because of Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about proximity to family/friends/support network?

Based on hearsay, both schools seem comparable enough to each other and without any relative dealbreakers that I'd probably decide based on location, family and money.

If money isn't an issue, I'd probably go with Rush just because of Chicago.

@Ja3ger Thanks for the insight. I'm from CA so these places differ by an hour or so on airplane. Definitely location is something that I'm really considering seeing as how Chicago really felt like LA to me. Cincinnati has a really above average step 1 score which is something that really appeals to me knowing that I want to come back to CA for residency. Cincinnati also possesses more research funding which might potentially give me a better chance at doing some research.

Step 1 scores are a result of the students, not the school. It should definitely not factor into your decision. I don't know much about U of Cin but Rush gets to rotate at Cook County. All the doctors I worked with in CA, the ones from UCSF and Stanford, knew about Cook County's great reputation.

Also please don't compare Chicago to LA.

Reactions: 1 users
Step 1 scores are a result of the students, not the school. It should definitely not factor into your decision. I don't know much about U of Cin but Rush gets to rotate at Cook County. All the doctors I worked with in CA, the ones from UCSF and Stanford, knew about Cook County's great reputation.

Also please don't compare Chicago to LA.

@LostinLift Haha thanks for the insight. Definitely will never compare Chicago to LA again (was referring to the diversity but yeah).

I was recently accepted to both these schools, and trying to gauge both of them fairly.
I know their curriculums are similar and grading systems are different but anything other than this? Clinical experience? Prestige in medical field? Money difference isn't really an issue either. Thanks in advance.
Money doesn't matter? Is that because both schools cost exactly the same...?

Give us some more info to help form an opinion. What's the grading system at Rush? I know at Cincy it's P/NP for the first 2 years.

What are you looking for in a med school? I go to Rush and love it, but I was looking for specific things in the med school I chose.

Ultimately, you're going to learn the material regardless of how it's presented to you (block curriculum or standard). Preclinical grades don't seem to matter much (as long as you pass), it's the clinical grades and obviously your step 1 score that matters. I say, go where you think you'll be happy, as you'll be working hard the next several years and should have fun doing non-school things too!!

I don't know much about u of cin. Rush (obvs biased here) has tons of research opportunities (we're right next door to Rush hospital, Cook County, UIC, and Jesse Brown VA hospital -- it is the medical district after all). Community service is BIG here-- tons of student run clinics and initiatives. Plus, Chicago rocks! If you have any specific questions, just let me know!
Good luck and remember that wherever you go, you'll be a doctor on the other end of things!

Money doesn't matter? Is that because both schools cost exactly the same...?

Give us some more info to help form an opinion. What's the grading systems at Rush? I know at Cincy it's P/NP for the first 2 years.

@Entadus Yes the cost is relatively the same except 4th year tuition at Cincinnati is about 30k. Rush has an H/P/F for first 2 years and goes to HH/H/P/F for the last two years. I believe Cincinnati introduces H/P/F for the last two years. Also, Cincinnati's Children's Hospital is amongst the best.

Last edited:
What are you looking for in a med school? I go to Rush and love it, but I was looking for specific things in the med school I chose.

Ultimately, you're going to learn the material regardless of how it's presented to you (block curriculum or standard). Preclinical grades don't seem to matter much (as long as you pass), it's the clinical grades and obviously your step 1 score that matters. I say, go where you think you'll be happy, as you'll be working hard the next several years and should have fun doing non-school things too!!

I don't know much about u of cin. Rush (obvs biased here) has tons of research opportunities (we're right next door to Rush hospital, Cook County, UIC, and Jesse Brown VA hospital -- it is the medical district after all). Community service is BIG here-- tons of student run clinics and initiatives. Plus, Chicago rocks! If you have any specific questions, just let me know!
Good luck and remember that wherever you go, you'll be a doctor on the other end of things!

@DrBtobe Thanks for the perspective. Research at Rush was something I was skeptical about but not so much anymore. I really enjoyed Rush on my interview day but that might have been because it was amongst my first 2 interviews. Plus just like you said Chicago just has so much to offer for both sides of life. I'll definitely PM you if I have any specific questions I can't find answers for.

@Entadus Yes the cost is relatively the same except 4th year tuition at Cincinnati is about 30k. Rush has an H/P/F for first 2 years and goes to HH/H/P/F for the last two years. I believe Cincinnati introduces H/P/F for the last two years. Also, Cincinnati's Children's Hospital is amongst the best.
Hmmm that's a tough one. I think P/F wins a point for Cincy, but I can also see the appeal of HH/H/P/F at Rush for M3-4.

Just listen to the little voice inside!:smack:

Hmmm that's a tough one. I think P/F wins a point for Cincy, but I can also see the appeal of HH/H/P/F at Rush for M3-4.

Just listen to the little voice inside!:smack:

@Entadus Haha I know it's been on my mind for a while now can't make up my mind. Been trying to listen to that voice but nothing so far. Maybe 2nd look days will help.