Rush / UIC Apartments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRealDrDorian

Dr. Acula
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas for on / off campus housing? Hear of any good locations or realtors?

Members don't see this ad.

I would check out the UIC class thread in the Allopathic sub-forum, there is some good discussion of housing over there.

Are you new to Chicago? cause I can recommend some good neighborhoods but I don't know on-campus housing very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you new to Chicago? cause I can recommend some good neighborhoods but I don't know on-campus housing very well.

I live in the south suburbs, but am not too familiar w/ city living. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For UIC, live in the dorm across the street. I've heard good things about the food. Do you really want to cook for yourself?

For UIC, live in the dorm across the street. I've heard good things about the food. Do you really want to cook for yourself?

Do you really want to live in a dorm?

Okay, so if you're from Gary, Palos or Naperville I'm sure you know a lot about this already (one student I volunteer with at Rush commutes from Naperville even) but the Chicago Medical District is pretty easy to get too from the Damen or the Ashland Bus. A nice area for younger single people is on the Milwaukee Corridor between Damen and Ashland (wicker park), there's lots of flats for reasonable prices. Ashland has an express bus during rush hour, which can make your commute very easy, and I looked at a lot of apartments around Augusta and Ashland and there are some good deals (2 beds for $1000). Now, there's also Taylor and University Village, but housing here seems to be very very tight. University Commons is around 1200 S Ashland, seems nice but I don't know anyone who's lived there. Either way it didn't have any apartments opening up until August when I was last apartment hunting. Parking is also probably worst in the Taylor/University Village region, and you'll probably want a car to get to some of the affilated hospitals, thought you may not need it much during your first year.

Chicago apartment hunters can be good for getting looks at units who's managers don't understand craigslist, but they can be a really mixed bag. Some agents will drive you around and be super pushy about what you see. Others will take you trashed out dives. Though there's always diamonds in the rough, my girlfriend found a great deal on a studio through them.

Often times networking is the best way to get an apartment - every apartment hunt I've done in chicago has gotten easier as I've come to know more people. Looking on UIC allo forums might be good place to find a sub-let on a studio or a roommate who'll be a fellow med student.