Rush VS Loyola VS FIU VS University of Kentucky VS University of Alabama VS Wayne State VS Oakland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrIWanttoBe1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between all of these medical schools and really would like your thoughts! Right now my top choice is Rush :) However Oakland provided me a half tuition scholarship. I am not sure what speciality I want to get into but I am interested in Neurology, Psychiatry, Oncology, OBGYN, and EM. All over the place, I know but thats what medical school is for :D

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on having options!! I want to give input (I was also looking at Rush/Loyola/Wayne/OUWB), but need more info from you regarding your pros and cons for each school (e.g., how important are finances to you, location preference, IS/OOS).

Bro you're gonna have to narrow it down for us a bit more than that at least lol...

Rush is very good, but the half tuition scholarship at Oakland is a pretty sweet deal...

You current interests are low-medium competitive for residency.

Are you IS at UAB? They are easily the best program on the list. Rush is a solid choice too unless it is more expensive than UAB. Please give us a more detailed view of your residency status and COA differences.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I am narrowing down to UK, Loyola, and Rush. Rush was able to provide a need based scholarship ($15,500) and a low-interest loan (still waiting to hear back about scholarships). Loyola provided $7,000 in scholarships and UK $10,000. I live in Maryland now but I am from Florida. My dads a teacher with stage IV cancer and my mom does work. We are not from the US (from Italy); however we have an American citizenship. My fiance is at veterinary school in Blacksburg, VA but we want to make this work no matter where I choose. I really liked UK! But I think we want to live in a major city for when we can both move in together after school so we can both secure jobs after school.

My location preference would therefore be in Chicago, but I also wanted to hear others experiences with these schools :)

I think I am narrowing down to UK, Loyola, and Rush. Rush was able to provide a need based scholarship ($15,500) and a low-interest loan (still waiting to hear back about scholarships). Loyola provided $7,000 in scholarships and UK $10,000. I live in Maryland now but I am from Florida. My dads a teacher with stage IV cancer and my mom does work. We are not from the US (from Italy); however we have an American citizenship. My fiance is at veterinary school in Blacksburg, VA but we want to make this work no matter where I choose. I really liked UK! But I think we want to live in a major city for when we can both move in together after school so we can both secure jobs after school.

Sounds like Rush is the way to go then, especially with the scholarship, as long as your fiancé is willing to move. Go for it.

Sorry about your dad by the way, hoping he pulls through. If you're from Florida it might be easier to go back home and visit family from a major city like Chicago due to more flights being available.

Just so you know, that 15.5k scholarship at Rush is renewable all 4 years so that’s 62k which covers more than one year of tuition! I’m also leaning towards Rush though so I may be a lil biased.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s awesome to hear! And helps tremendously! I’m visiting this week but we should connect :)

Very cool. Rush and Loyola are VERY different. Are you focusing just on financial stuff (from what it seems). Have you thought about the types of curriculums at all?

These are all amazing schools! Congrats on such a successful cycle! It seems like rush is your top pick and I'd go for it. You should have no probability getting into your desired specialities attending there.