Rush vs. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ARiz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on which school is better? I've been accepted to Loyola and have been waiting on Rush for a long time, but still haven't heard anything. Just curious about what people think of when comparing the two schools...

Members don't see this ad.

I think "better" is really subjective here, and depends on what you're looking for. I'm in the same boat as you - accepted to Loyola and silence from Rush (complete 8/16). I believe Loyola is the school for me, and thus "better," but it's hard to be 100% positive without touring Rush and interviewing there. Here is some info and observations I have. Take them with a grain of salt since I'm a pre-med in your shoes too:

1) Loyola has cut back on lecture time, uses the integrated block system and is more PBL/small group learning-based. Rush appears to have a traditional curriculum with a bunch of classes and 9-5 lectures (again, this is my understanding).

2) Location: Rush has Loyola beat. Rush is in the center of Chicago. Loyola is about 12 miles south-west.

3) Rush likely has better clinical experience in the third and fourth years since you get to rotate through Cook County. Loyola rotations seem predominantly in suburban/Maywood locations.

4) From speaking with a current Rush student, the students there skew to the younger side, and the party atmosphere is a little stronger than at some other schools (i.e., Loyola). This is a plus or a minus depending on your age and perspective.

5) Loyola is more community service/mission oriented with summer international programs and lots of community service opportunities (and a community service/bioethics "honors" program).

6) All students I've spoken with at both Rush and Loyola love their schools. I don't think you can go wrong - it's just a matter of taste.

7) Tuition is cheaper at Loyola (although this is not a deciding factor in my mind).

8) Do a search and you'll find a bunch of Rush v. Loyola threads from last year and before....

Thanks phoenix...that was quite a response. Anyone else wanna chime in?