Rush vs. SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcat85

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been at least waitlisted and maybe rejected by my top choice school, so it's gonna come down to these two I suspect. I need some help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you're instate for IL, I would think you would be debating between Rush and UIC. Save your debt, as they are all great schools but some are significantly cheaper than others...

Since you're instate for IL, I would think you would be debating between Rush and UIC. Save your debt, as they are all great schools but some are significantly cheaper than others...

I was really interested in UIC until they stuck me in peoria :beat:

I like rush a lot, but I practically live in STL (i'm right across the river in IL), so while it would probably be cheaper with living expenses if I went to SLU, I think that the clinical experience at Rush might be a little better. I'm really pretty split on this at the moment. If I don't end up getting into JHU (which I, at the moment, seriously doubt will happen), it will be a really hard decision which one to go to. Anyone else have any input on this?

Perhaps you can attend the school's second look dates and then you will find your answer.

I'm definitely going to the one at Rush, but it doesn't appear that SLU is having one.. maybe I can set up an informal visit since I live kinda close.

SLU doesnt have an official second look, but they do informal revisits on monday and tuesday for the rest of their interview season (i'm revisiting tomorrow, so we'll see).

Anyone else have any more input on this? I would definitely like some more help.. :eek:thanks to all of those who have already weighed in on it.

You shouldn't worry about getting bad clinical experience at SLU, SLU's clinical experience is great too--plenty of hospitals around, including WashU hospitals where you could do rotations as well, couple of student run clinics where you can polish your skills with real patients during your preclinical years, and all the wonderful trauma and complex diseases that city of St.Louis offers, but Chicago is definitely no worse than that.

When I interviewed at SLU 2 years ago, I got the impression that their clinical experience was pretty awesome. Their preclinical curriculum seemed well organized also. Definitely an underrated school, IMO.

However, Rush seems like a good school also. How much cheaper would it be? I think pre-meds really need to think more about $$ because med school is mostly what you make of it. Many pre-meds that have the "Its OK, I'll be able to pay it back" don't really understand about how it feels to have a 200k+ monkey on their back (not that I do either, I chose a state school).

Bottom line: If it was significantly cheaper, I'd choose Rush.

Also: check out a thread called ' a plug for SLU' or something.