Rush vs. Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSmith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been placed on the AWPA list for SIU (you have to make that list first before being officially accepted), and I just had an interview at Rush that I think went very well. I really like both schools, and I'm not sure which direction I am going to go if I end up being accepted by both. Do any of you have any input or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been placed on the AWPA list for SIU (you have to make that list first before being officially accepted), and I just had an interview at Rush that I think went very well. I really like both schools, and I'm not sure which direction I am going to go if I end up being accepted by both. Do any of you have any input or advice?

I mean it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to do research, Rush is your school. If you want to do urban medicine, Rush is your school.

I was accepted to both recently, but I'm definitely going to Rush, I want to do clinical research and I want to work with medically under served populations. While SIU does have some of these opportunities, they don't have them like Rush does. I also feel that Rush has some of the best rotation opportunities in the state, I mean Stroger and the Tower? Located in the medical district of a beautiful city. It doesn't get any better than that. Rush also has more resources. I also don't want to live in Carbondale or Springfield, I need something more. If I'm not mistaken Rush students do better on Steps as well.

But that's just my opinion, its still up to you.

I mean it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to do research, Rush is your school. If you want to do urban medicine, Rush is your school.

I was accepted to both recently, but I'm definitely going to Rush, I want to do clinical research and I want to work with medically under served populations. While SIU does have some of these opportunities, they don't have them like Rush does. I also feel that Rush has some of the best rotation opportunities in the state, I mean Stroger and the Tower? Located in the medical district of a beautiful city. It doesn't get any better than that. Rush also has more resources. I also don't want to live in Carbondale or Springfield, I need something more. If I'm not mistaken Rush students do better on Steps as well.

But that's just my opinion, its still up to you.

I agree about the opportunities offered at Rush compared to Southern. I think where I'm kind of stuck is that I would like to return to Central or Southern Illinois after college and serve either in my hometown or in a town similar to that. But just because I want to serve in a smaller rural community, does that mean I should do my schooling in that type of setting or should I kind of go outside my comfort zone just to have the life experience of having done so? I think basically my decision is going to come down to that. And, of course, whether or not I even get accepted by either school lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree about the opportunities offered at Rush compared to Southern. I think where I'm kind of stuck is that I would like to return to Central or Southern Illinois after college and serve either in my hometown or in a town similar to that. But just because I want to serve in a smaller rural community, does that mean I should do my schooling in that type of setting or should I kind of go outside my comfort zone just to have the life experience of having done so? I think basically my decision is going to come down to that. And, of course, whether or not I even get accepted by either school lol.

I think if you want to practice rural medicine, you should go to a school where you can get rural training. Rush will NOT provide that for you. If you simply want life experiences that take place outside of the rural setting, go on vacation, but don't go to a school that wont give you the right training according to your career objectives just to have a change of scenery. Some of pathologies seen in the urban setting are unique to it, likewise, rural populations have their own unique issues and you want to see these things as a student so that you are proficient in treating similar afflictions as a resident and attending.

I think if you want to practice rural medicine, you should go to a school where you can get rural training. Rush will NOT provide that for you. If you simply want life experiences that take place outside of the rural setting, go on vacation, but don't go to a school that wont give you the right training according to your career objectives just to have a change of scenery. Some of pathologies seen in the urban setting are unique to it, likewise, rural populations have their own unique issues and you want to see these things as a student so that you are proficient in treating similar afflictions as a resident and attending.

I appreciate the advice, but I don't think trivializing my desire to diversify my human experience by comparing living in a city for 4-7 years to simply taking a vacation was necessarily valid.

I appreciate the advice, but I don't think trivializing my desire to diversify my human experience by comparing living in a city for 4-7 years to simply taking a vacation was necessarily valid.

Hey man I'm just trying to help, take what works for you and leave what doesn't. The purpose of medical school is to cultivate your medical knowledge, that's a life experience in itself. Don't ask for advice and then turn away from it when it's offered to you.

Hey man I'm just trying to help, take what works for you and leave what doesn't. The purpose of medical school is to cultivate your medical knowledge, that's a life experience in itself. Don't ask for advice and then turn away from it when it's offered to you.

I'm not turning away advice. I actually said I appreciated it in my previous post, and I do. It's just that I have been on vacations, and that is not necessarily on the same plane in terms of gaining diverse life experience as living in another entirely different type of community. I just found your dismissal of that part of my personal interests a bit condescending. Other than that though, I thought your post was helpful.

If rural medicine is what you want to practice when you are older, I agree with the above poster that SIU would be a better fit. Though the allure of training in a huge city like Chicago is hard to pass up, there also has to be some allure to rural settings if that is where you see yourself. Like mentioned, there are many aspects of rural medicine that you would not be exposed to going to Rush. It may be nice to get a sense of the pace of medicine in a smaller community, and see how it functions through hands on experience--which will be greatly different than in a big city. Also, I may be totally off base for assuming this, and if so I apologize, but I am guessing if you want to practice in a more rural area that research isn't one of the top priorities on your list. Just my thoughts, and I hope you get in both schools!

Congrats on AWPA and your interview with Rush! Keeping my fingers crossed for you...

I go to SIU so I'll give my subjective view: one thing I really like about SIU is that they teach us how to perform full histories and physicals during our first year. We have off-campus mentors who allow us to practice our H&Ps independently on patients from the rural community. I feel as though the exposure to patients I will likely eventually be serving has helped me as a student and future physician.

Springfield/Carbondale is obviously not as attractive as Chicago, but you won't have nearly as much free time as you did in undergrad which may have some impact on the importance of your location.

As far as clinical research goes (as sonofsertoli mentioned), SIU does have some opportunities; I just submitted a proposal to do clinical research this summer through the MPEE program. Here's a link to the list of mentors for the program, which has both clinical and bench opportunities: http://www.siumed.edu/edaff/mpee/mpee_mentor_list.htm

Rush undoubtedly has top-notch research opportunities, and I'm sure you would receive wonderful training there! Just letting you know that there are options for that if you do decide to attend SIU.

Doctor Smith,

I am also an SIU student and will give you my own opinion of the school so far. I can't imagine what life would have been life any other way. I was accepted to multiple schools and really struggled between my top two choices. When making the decision, I remembered how awesome they treated me during the interview. There was just me and one other applicant. Everyone pretty much stopped by to say hello to us. I even saw quite a few medical students wishing me luck. The culture around SIU SOM seems very different from the other schools I interviewed at. The staff and faculty here seriously care about us students, and it shows. Before I was accepted, I remember seeing a survey for "happiest" med students in the country. I can't find it now, but I remember SIU being within the top few.

I hear so many horror stories from friends that go to the Chicago schools. While they offer a lot of options, I just didn't want their lifestyle. SIU is a P/F school where everyone seems to be on the same team. A score of 100% on the test is equivalent to 75% on a test (Pass), so it really reduces the competitive or hostile environment.

PBL is also pretty awesome. At the beginning of the year, it was really weird and I didn't really know how to study. Now, it's second nature. I almost feel like I study less due to having such high yield discussions during the group sessions.

Like the guy above me, I ale will be participating in research during the summer. SIU even gave me grant money to do so.

Lastly, while I am not a big fan of Carbondale, Springfield seems pretty cool. Its close to St. Louis, Urbana, and some other college towns. I lived in Chicago for a while, I hate the traffic. Its nice having only a few minutes drive to school!