Rush vs. UIC vs. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agent

agent, RN
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an IL resident and these are my top 3 choices..

I've read quite a bit about all 3 but I'm hoping to get some feedback from all of you.

What school would you prefer of these 3?

I was leaning towards Loyola, but I've heard some good things about RUSH.. UIC is the cheapest so that is also an influence..

So whatcha think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd prefer the one that accepts you.

If you are accepted to more than one, I would go to UIC. I don't see how one can justify the extra expense going to the other two. If it was Hopkins vs. UIC, then you have a dilemma. But Loyola or Rush vs. UIC is a no-brainer. UIC.

Save your money and go to UIC, if you have a choice. Go to Loyola or Rush if you don't get in to UIC, since they are expensive and don't seem to be anymore prestigious.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JBJ
I'd prefer the one that accepts you.

If you are accepted to more than one, I would go to UIC. I don't see how one can justify the extra expense going to the other two. If it was Hopkins vs. UIC, then you have a dilemma. But Loyola or Rush vs. UIC is a no-brainer. UIC.

I disagree.

There are big differences between them some of which would justify the cost. In terms of cost, BTW, there isn't a hell of a lot of difference in my opinion. UIC is hovering around 20K and Loyola is hovering around 30K. Perhaps an extra 10K per year is worth one's personal happiness, its certainly worth mine so if Loyola is a better fit for me then I'd definitely choose it. After all, you can never have these years back. I find it silly to spend them in a place you really don't want to be b/c you wanted to save some money. I'm assuming of course that you have a choice in the matter.

My suggestion is to talk to students that go to each school, filter out all the usual "my medical school sucks talk" and look for a general impression of what they REALLY think of their school.

You're married though agent, so it seems like you probably won't have much of a choice in the matter as someone single in terms of what kind of debt you can carry. You also have to think about you're SO's happiness as well. I'm glad I'm still single. :)

well i dont know how much of a difference there will be in the three. i will probably come away with owing 20-30k additional if i go to loyola or rush, but if it leads to a much better experience it may be worth it..

when you're already spending 100k whats another 20

I don't understand why people always act as if cost and prestige are the two most important factors to consider when choosing a medical school. Are they saying that pride and money are the main values in life? To me reducing it to these two factors is a gross over-simplification. I guess the phrase "no brainer" is an accurate description of such a decision making process.

i think for most ppl who actually have no visited the school thats all they have to go on..

i plan to get word of mouth (ie. this thread) and go visit them myself.

Originally posted by GuitarMan
I don't understand why people always act as if cost and prestige are the two most important factors to consider when choosing a medical school. Are they saying that pride and money are the main values in life? To me reducing it to these two factors is a gross over-simplification. I guess the phrase "no brainer" is an accurate description of such a decision making process.

Totally agree with you GuitarMan. I think a lot of people will learn this though after they interview as agent mentioned. Most will find out that in terms of where you go to med school, prestige doesn't mean all that much. One should go where one feels most comfortable.

And again, loans can always be paid back, the years you lose being miserable in a place you never wanted to be in cannot.

Originally posted by Explosivo

prestige doesn't mean all that much. One should go where one feels most comfortable.

And again, loans can always be paid back, the years you lose being miserable in a place you never wanted to be in cannot.

so true. LOL:love:

I agree that my "go to the cheapest" was an oversimplification. However, I think that total debt load is an important thing to consider, especially if you are married and have a child. It irritates me when cost is considered a small criteria. It is considered a sin on this forum to make money a serious consideration for relating to the choices that you make in medicine. I think that is short-sighted. Going to where you will be happiest is not always the best choice.

My personal criteria (I am married and childless) will be money, location, likeability of the school. My state school, Missouri, will be cheapest, but I am not sure that I want to move there for four years. If is was here in St. Louis, or at least somewhere better than rural Missouri, I think that it would be my number one choice by default.

Going somewhere you absolutely hate just because it is cheap is undoubtedly a bad choice. But if the choice is going somewhere you like reasonably well vs. somewhere you adore, it is foolish to spend the extra $60,000 plus interest. I can think of a lot of good things to do with that money. It is very selfish to spend that money just so you will be a little happier or will feel a little better, especially if you have a family

So back to the original question, unless I absolutely despised UIC, I would go there. Donate the 60k to a better cause.

good suggestion.

This may seem like a stupid question but I wasn't quite sure, so I'll ask anyway...

If you get accepted at UIC as an out-of-stater, obviously you'd pay the out of state tuition the first year. But after the first year, are you considered a resident, provided you pay taxes in the area and so forth and then pay the in-state tuition?

Jumpu - you'll always be considered out of state if you begin that way. Criteria for being considered being in-state includes having a fulltime job for a year. They know you can't do that during school so you wouldn't qualify. There's other requirements too.

In terms of Rush, Loyola, or UIC - I've been accepted to Rush and I've taught at Loyola as a TA for a year and I've seen UIC and know of ppl there in med school. I would rank it as Rush first, Loyola 2nd, then UIC. My thoughts.

I think that situation is different in Texas - I had a friend establish residency by buying a condo, then he got to get in on that sweet in-state Texas tuition (he attended Baylor).

I'm from IL and I looked hard at those schools. My personal opinion: I felt most comfortable at Loyola. I was very surprised by the facilities, the students' attitudes and apparent happiness. If your choice is between Loyola and Rush - I recommend Loyola. I didn't find Rush very impressive in any category. Didn't get the same warm fuzzies when I visited. I think your main choice would be between UIC and Loyola. Again, more warm fuzzies at Loyola, and as someone who is in his final year, I can say that those are important to consider.

Good luck!

hey dude, i'd ask the admissions office about that residency thing. I know for a fact, (b/c my ex girlfriend goes to an ohio state school) that after the 1st year you get in state tuition.

so it depends on the state i'm sure.

as for uic/rush/loyola.

i'd choose uic. but mainly b/c i could care less if the other two schools 'baby' you through it and hold your hand... i don't think the 'reputation' of either three is any higher than the other two.. so you really have to see if 'smaller classes' and nicer facilities and MAYBE BETTER TEACHING would be in the other two schools. again better teaching is totally subjective, people learn in different ways and also teachers can change every year.
Are those differences worth the 15k difference?? For some yes, for me - HECK NO. Personally, i'm of the opinion that education is what you make it. Books are books. As matt damon said to the harvard snob in that movie(what was it again?- the one with ben affleck) , "YOU PAID $100,000 FOR AN EDUCATION YOU COULD HAVE GOT FOR A $1.50 IN OVERDUE FINES AT THE LIBRARY"
So will it help if you have carpet on your floor and the teacher has a bit of spice in him?? I'm sure to some degree...but i'm a book man myself, not a lecture man. See what type of learner you are and find the school that caters to you.

I say, wait to see where you get in first. What you need on this thread are people that actually did get into all 3 or 2, and give reasons why they chose one school over the other.

Originally posted by laviddee
As matt damon said to the harvard snob in that movie(what was it again

Good Will Hunting?

I was accepted at UIC and Loyola, but I didn't apply to Rush because I didn't feel like writing 13 essay's on the secondary.

At the time I choose Loyola over UIC.

The main factors that favor UIC are the slightly lower tuition, and, for me, the greater research opportunities.

Loyola has higher tuition, but has a reputation for much better teaching, greater concern for the students, greater interest in the ethics of medicine, small group approach to preclinical years with less straight lecture time, happier students, and nicer facilities.

People that favor UIC write-off the private schools in the area by saying that they don't need to be babied, and that going to UIC prepares them for the real world. They also say that UIC is great because during the clinical years you fend for yourself, but you get to do a lot of things you don't get to do elsewhere.

I think the reality is that people at UIC get bullied and people at the private schools get treated humanely. Also, being made to fend for yourself is not a good thing. Personally I prefer to be taught something while in med school. No matter which school you pick, you are spending around $100,000. So you can drop all that money to teach yourself from the books, or you can drop all the money and learn from a combination of books and faculty instruction. If you want to be Good Will Hunting, skip med school, get a library card, and look for a janitorial job.

Originally posted by GuitarMan

I think the reality is that people at UIC get bullied and people at the private schools get treated humanely. Also, being made to fend for yourself is not a good thing. Personally I prefer to be taught something while in med school. No matter which school you pick, you are spending around $100,000. So you can drop all that money to teach yourself from the books, or you can drop all the money and learn from a combination of books and faculty instruction. If you want to be Good Will Hunting, skip med school, get a library card, and look for a janitorial job.

wow that's what ive heard and that kind of confirmation is priceless. awesome post. thanks.

So you're going to Pritzker now?

I also agree wholeheartedly with that post. One must remember that the basic sciences are probably comparable at most schools, and the type of person you are will determine books vs. lecture. But man the clinical experiences will vary greatly from school to school no matter what kind of learner you are. Books are only a part of the med school experience.

Go for Loyola.

Well im only currently a junior in college so I've got some time, but i dont plan on getting crap grades.. ive always pulled down btw 3.5-4.0 in my educational career so as long as I get accepted by all 3. I think ill go to loyola.

My aunt and cousin went there.

I haven't read the responses above, so I may be repeating some stuff.

Have you looked into each school's "family programs." For example, NYMC has a great family program for the students from what I hear. I would pick NYMC over Albany any day because of that. You have a family, and that's something for you to think about.

These days, schools have separate housing for married med students; a separate baby sitting service for med students; some even have a whole "bus system" so that kids and spouses don't feel avoided during test weeks etc. Look into their family programs. That might be a deciding factor.

well I would be commuting but as far as I remember Loyola had the best family program.