rush vs university of chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersbaby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i can only make one of the two interviews. which program do you guys feel is better overall? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You really ought to do what you can to make both interviews and maximize your chances at matching. Both programs are respectable and churn out well-trained anesthesiologists.

Members don't see this ad :)
I trained at U of C and I enjoyed it very much. I obtained what I think is great training, and had my pick of fellowships (albeit in critical care, which, until recently, wasn't all that competitive). I felt like the faculty were supportive and I had as much mentoring as I could stand. The chair was reasonably involved in our lives, given that he was ASA president during my stint there. As far as reputation goes, anything I said would only be as valuable as my own perceptions, but I think the U of C name probably does go further than that of Rush. As an example, I can think of about a half-dozen residents during my time there who went to medical school at Rush and came to U of C for residency, whereas there were zero medical students from U of C who went to Rush for anesthesiology residency.

WHere do you want to end up? Academics or PP

If PP--> rush

If Academics--> U of C

obviously that is a blanket statement. but somewhat accurate.

I trained at U of C and I enjoyed it very much. I obtained what I think is great training, and had my pick of fellowships (albeit in critical care, which, until recently, wasn't all that competitive). I felt like the faculty were supportive and I had as much mentoring as I could stand. The chair was reasonably involved in our lives, given that he was ASA president during my stint there. As far as reputation goes, anything I said would only be as valuable as my own perceptions, but I think the U of C name probably does go further than that of Rush. As an example, I can think of about a half-dozen residents during my time there who went to medical school at Rush and came to U of C for residency, whereas there were zero medical students from U of C who went to Rush for anesthesiology residency.

thanks for the info :thumbup:

I agree that if you like academics more I would do UofC, and if you abhor the idea of academics than Rush. You get good training at both and both have great connections in private practice and fellowships. However, with U of C you also have the option of going into academics if you want, which is less likely with Rush training as didactics are not as good.

Last edited:
Go to Rush. I did and I am the best anesthesiologist in the world.

Any thoughts on U of C vs Northwestern? Looking at both and basically wondering if the opportunities differ at all coming out of these programs

My understanding is Northwestern has lots of opportunites for OB anesthesia (training and research). They also have an amazing campus in the heart of downtown Chicago. By far the best most impressive campus in Chicago. The whole area is great to live in as well.