Rush vs USF SELECT (WL) vs NYMC (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohkarto

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very fortunate to have been accepted to a school and waitlisted at 2 others, but I figure I should make a decision before traffic day really starts…

Rush

PROS
· Big city with lots to do (come from big city), great public transportation
· Faculty and administration seem very receptive and friendly
· Lots of study facilities available to students
· LOTS of service opportunities, really relate to the mission
· Pass/Fail (with internal ranking)
· Cook County and other rotating hospitals seem like a great place to learn from

CONS
· Brutal weather + Difficult to drive in
· High cost of living
· Flipped classroom curriculum

USF SELECT (WL)

PROS
· Curriculum seems really REALLY interesting/unique and is in line with a lot of things I value
· M3/4s and clinical instructors I interacted with seemed pretty happy with the ed and happy to help
· Lehigh Valley Health Network seems like a great place to learn at
· Seems to be a lot of nature nearby to explore in PA + Tampa seems cool to live at
· Small class size (pro and con)

CONS
· Highest COA at around ~80k, but lower COL?
· HP/P/F
· Moving between M2 and M3 from Tampa to Allentown (and not much to do in either place)
· Administrative staff seemed very unhappy with being there during the interview day

NYMC (WL)

PROS
· Student housing available
· Facilities (sim lab and cadaver room) seemed pretty nice
· Lots of unique sites for rotations with a variety of patient populations

CONS
· All of the students that I talked to did not seem too happy with the environment and area
· Very large class size
· Location is not ideal (quiet and not much to do in the immediate area), but relatively close to NYC

I have no financial aid information for any of them right now, but the cost difference is fairly marginal between the three. My gut says Rush is the best option, but I really do feel like I’m missing out on the curriculum and experiences at USF. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can narrow it down to Rush vs USF as you don't sound enthused about NYMC and it doesn't have any great pros. If you value the curriculum at USF more than stuff at Rush (which has a very diverse pt population and lots of service opps), then you should pick that one. However, I would choose Rush as it is cheapest and has several unique pros over USF.

USF vs. Rush in my opinion. Consider location, traditional vs flipped curriculum, and distance to support systems. 2nd point is especially crucial, flipped curricula seem to be very polarizing.

You can narrow it down to Rush vs USF as you don't sound enthused about NYMC and it doesn't have any great pros. If you value the curriculum at USF more than stuff at Rush (which has a very diverse pt population and lots of service opps), then you should pick that one. However, I would choose Rush as it is cheapest and has several unique pros over USF.

The curriculum is the biggest issue for me since I feel like I will be missing out otherwise (especially considering the relatively negative things I have heard about the new flipped curriculum at Rush), but I'm not really sure how much weight to put into social life and things like that?

The curriculum is the biggest issue for me since I feel like I will be missing out otherwise (especially considering the relatively negative things I have heard about the new flipped curriculum at Rush), but I'm not really sure how much weight to put into social life and things like that?
Honestly, had some reservations about Rush curriculum earlier as well. After going to Second Look, my mind is largely at ease. They seem committed to improving the curriculum and it doesn’t sound hugely diff from traditional curriculum anymore seeing as many schools are implementing PBL/TBL weekly mandatory sessions into curriculum and students are opting out of lecture to watch 2x at home.

Reactions: 1 users