AmphoTerrible

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone,
This is my first post, I'm a P3 looking for fellowship information.
I recently spoke to fellows from the Rutgers fellowship program and they told me they have ~80 positions in their program, but when asked how many applicants they usually have they couldn't give me a number? Has anyone heard anything about this, or how competitive it is? I would assume they get many applicants, but with 80 positions available I would think it wouldn't be too tough? Thoughts?

FAMUPharmD09

Pharm.D.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Florida
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The Rutgers Industry Fellowship is highly competitive. There are close to 80 positions but the positions are scattered across 12 to 13 companies. Some companies only have 1 or 2 positions while others have close to 10. It depends on what company and what position you are looking for. Check out their website (http://pharmafellows.rutgers.edu/) to look at what positions you may be interested in because they vary from company to company

dingerx

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Have you heard anything recently about positions? Thanks!

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Have you heard anything recently about positions? Thanks!
One of the fellows told me that last year the number of positions was down to about 40 with some companies not recruiting at all (J&J) because of the economy. It probably won't be a lot better this year. As far as the number of applicants, I'm sure that number doesn't fluctuate near as much but with all the new schools opening up it's probably increasing slowly each year.

dingerx

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
One of the fellows told me that last year the number of positions was down to about 40 with some companies not recruiting at all (J&J) because of the economy. It probably won't be a lot better this year. As far as the number of applicants, I'm sure that number doesn't fluctuate near as much but with all the new schools opening up it's probably increasing slowly each year.
Hey! Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. J&J was going to be one of my top choices for the program I am looking at. None of the fellowship programs have info out yet as far as who's offering spots. Should be interesting.

Argentium

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey! Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. J&J was going to be one of my top choices for the program I am looking at. None of the fellowship programs have info out yet as far as who's offering spots. Should be interesting.
With JnJ going through its manufacturing woes, I wouldn't expect to see it on the list this year. :(

dingerx

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
With JnJ going through its manufacturing woes, I wouldn't expect to see it on the list this year. :(
That would be the perfect opportunity if you wanted to go into regulatory affairs, which is the exact reason J&J looks great to me. Do you go to Rutgers and/or know any of the fellows currently?

Argentium

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
That would be the perfect opportunity if you wanted to go into regulatory affairs, which is the exact reason J&J looks great to me. Do you go to Rutgers and/or know any of the fellows currently?
Yes and yes. Regulatory (the kind pharmacists would work in) doesn't really deal with that much, i think. Its manufacturing side, which is totally different from commercial, which is where I have encountered most PharmD Regulatory

dingerx

7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2010
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yes and yes. Regulatory (the kind pharmacists would work in) doesn't really deal with that much, i think. Its manufacturing side, which is totally different from commercial, which is where I have encountered most PharmD Regulatory
Have you heard of any companies offering the reg affairs postion for 2011-2013? Thanks!