Rutgers Gateway to Dentistry Winter 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hashtagpredental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I applied for Rutgers Gateway to Dentistry program for Winter 2017 but have not received any email regarding the decision. Has anyone else applied and received any email from them yet? Just curious because they said the decisions would come out yesterday (10/1) and I've been fervently checking my email without any luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Omg im soo nervous! I applied for winter 2017 as well, and just want to hear back soo bad! Good luck guys :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting over here too. Good luck to everyone!

Best program ever I totally recommend doing it if you are accepted! It taught me so much and really showed me I wanted to be a dentist!

I just received the email, and I GOT IN!! I'm super excited :). If anyone is wondering, I'm currently a junior, 30 hours of shadowing experience, 3.6 gpa, NJ resident. Good luck to everyone else!

Is it true that people who got accepted hear back first? And also, could it be true that the more shadowing hours you have, the less likely you will get in? I have like 400+ hours of experience... anyone else in the same boat?!

Is it true that people who got accepted hear back first? And also, could it be true that the more shadowing hours you have, the less likely you will get in? I have like 400+ hours of experience... anyone else in the same boat?!

It really isn't about hours. They sometimes like having students that don't have a lot of hours because the program helps them decide if dentistry is what they want to do. At least that was what I heard when I applied. They love diversity within their classes so a lot of the students that got accepted from my year were students that went to school out of state. I think I had 40 hours of shadowing when I applied to the program and I got accepted. So to answer your question, yes it is probably more likely the more hours you have the less likely you will get accepted because it shows them that you have kind of already decided this is what was for you. There were a lot of people in my class that weren't sure if dentistry is what they wanted to do and after the program is when the decided.

Last edited:
Just frustrating because I literally did not apply last year because I thought I needed more experience...and now i'm finding out that they would rather people with less experience. Ugh!

Just frustrating because I literally did not apply last year because I thought I needed more experience...and now i'm finding out that they would rather people with less experience. Ugh!

Yes, it is super frustrating but don't give up keep applying and keep making your application better. That can be said throughout the whole process. I have already applied and I am still trying to better my application. Keep your head up!

I applied last year but didn't get in and I had a little under 100 hours of shadowing which I feel hurt my chances, along with my lower gpa that probably tipped the scale. I feel you. But don't worry about it, it doesn't really correlate with how successful you'd be at getting into schools.

Has anyone received rejection letters yet?

Last edited:
Wait no way I wasn't In the winter program this year! I wonder who you are haha!

If you applied to SMDEP and was accepted.. can you apply for Gateway?

I applied last year but didn't get in and I had a little under 100 hours of shadowing which I feel hurt my chances, along with my lower gpa that probably tipped the scale. I feel you. But don't worry about it, it doesn't really correlate with how successful you'd be at getting into schools.
Hi, do you remember if you got an email notifying you that you didn't get in. I'm still waiting to hear back and haven't received anything.

Hi, do you remember if you got an email notifying you that you didn't get in. I'm still waiting to hear back and haven't received anything.
yeah i think i did get an email saying i didn’t get in, but don’t sweat it if you don’t make it I still got a rutgers interview without gateway