Rutgers Masters MBS vs. Midwestern MBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justkeep swimming

Reaction score
I got into both Rutgers MBS for a 1 year program, and Midwestern MBS for a 2 year program. I am currently torn between both programs. If anyone has attended either or program could you please shed a light in your experiences. I would also love to know what is the percentage of me getting an interview to both these schools dental schools after doing this masters. Which program do you guys suggest and your opinions. Pls help I am very confused on my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the Rutgers MBS program right now and it's a pretty solid program. If you get a 3.7+ and a 20 AA you get a guaranteed interview at Rutgers dental school and the program is generally well known throughout the east coast schools ( I talked with admission officers and directors from dental schools during admission fairs like BU, NYU, Columbia, LECOM, etc and they all said a 3.5+ is generally seen as a competitive GPA ).

Now the " downside " of the program is that it is generally harder than other programs with very challenging core classes ( Ex: for Funds A: 30% got C's, 55% got B's, 15% got A's, and 3 people got F's. ). Lot of people say they are going to finish it in 1 year but I barely see anyone actually do that and most people do it in 1.5~2 years. If you are really planning to finish it in 1 year you better be ready to take 5 Finals in 1.5 week + get to know your professors since you need to do research as one of your classes.

Also, most of the professors teaching are medical and dental professors at Rutgers.

Reactions: 1 users
^this dude is way exaggerating how difficult the masters program at Rutgers is. Personally, I am finishing it in a year and so are at least 6 other people that i know and i only know like 10 people in the program lol. Funds A is intro to biochem (22% got A's, 31% got B+, 25% got B, 13% got C+, and 7% got Cs). Keep in mind that the grading scale was A: 90-100, B+: 80-90, B: 70-80, C+: 60-70, and a C: 50-60. Like holy ****, for a C you needed to get below a 60 and lets be honest here if you're rocking a sub 70 in Intro to Biochem, the medicine/dentistry pathway may not be for you.

The hardest part about the program is asking profs for the syllabus before the class starts and only taking classes that dont have overlapping exam weeks. IDK what u/thatonekorean is smoking but this program is by no means that difficult and I do highly recommend it because as mentioned, it is very well know in the northeast and a solid program.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No experience with either of these programs, but I did do a Master's at a different university. I'd say the greatest things that I gained from my program was excellent LORs, exceptional study habits (has made dental school much "easier"), and increased knowledge in biology/physiology/ect which helped me to dramatically improve my DAT score (Bio:17-->24).

If I were to choose between those two programs, I would probably pick Rutgers due to the fact that it is a 1-year program. The pressure is a good thing, and you don't want to keep spending your time just preparing to get into dental school.

Also, depending on your stats, I may not even suggest doing a master's program of any sort in the first place. I had a 3.5 GPA before my master's and got a 3.5 in my master's, so it really didn't benefit me in terms of GPA at all. I think that if I had just studied really hard for the DAT for an extended time period (~15-20 weeks), I would have scored similar to how I did and I would have had the same outcome of ending up at the dental school I wanted to attend.

Last edited:
When I interviewed at Midwestern I spoke to some students in the MBS and I personally thought it sounded like hell. It’s meant to simulate your first year in grad school and tbh for a masters program go where it’s easiest for you to get the best grades possible. Midwestern didn’t really sound that easy at all from the students I interviewed with. 2 were from Glendale and 2 were from Downers Grove if that helps

People do Masters programs before applying to dental school because their undergraduate GPAs are bad. If you do a Masters to "prepare for dental school" you're just wasting time and money. My undergrad GPA was sub 3.0. I am about to finish the MBS at Rutgers in 1 year with a 4.0 and that includes taking 2 dental school classes. The 31% who got a B+ in Funds A (biochem) probably did fine in other courses because Funds A might be the most difficult class for the average Masters student and if more than 25% got above an A, the course is too easy. Trust me, there are a lot of dumb people in this program and as long as you aren't one of them, it's gonna be cheese.

People taking the masters in 3-4 semesters are either doing part-time because they have a job or do one semester part time to study for the DAT/MCAT depending on their track. Coming from someone who got below a 3.0 in undergrad, this program is easy, and if you can't get above a 3.5 in it I can't imagine how difficult dental school is gonna be for you.

At the end of the day, Rutgers accepts students into the program because there are a lot of desperate students who did bad in undergrad and need a place to try to get their GPA up. There is no interview, just DAT scores, LOR, and GPA for acceptance. Rutgers makes bank off this program and they accept a lot of people who will not do well in it, or in dental school. On paper, I should not have been accepted into a Masters program and was surprised when I was accepted here. I am quite thankful because I have been accepted to a dental school for this fall and entirely give credit to Rutgers for making this program easy enough to coast and get a 4.0 to boost my academic update.

Again feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I made an account for the purpose of promoting the program because it got me into dental school and if it worked for me, than it can work for others in the same position. I made an account to help answer questions that people considering the program might have. Just cause you struggled in the program does not mean it is a difficult program.

I can only assume you've done two masters programs because you didn't do very well in the first one and had to try again by dropping another 50k to try and be competitive for dental school. Honestly it sounds like you're the type of person to say something is hard to justify your lack of success. I'd be happy to PM you a screenshot of my transcript from undergrad and this program. If someone like me with a sub 3.0 can get a 4.0 in this program, it really isn't that hard. I'm sorry if you struggled or thought it was difficult, cause me saying it was easy would make you feel dumb for thinking it was hard.

I made an account for the purpose of promoting the program because it got me into dental school and if it worked for me, than it can work for others in the same position. I made an account to help answer questions that people considering the program might have. Just cause you struggled in the program does not mean it is a difficult program.

I can only assume you've done two masters programs because you didn't do very well in the first one and had to try again by dropping another 50k to try and be competitive for dental school. Honestly it sounds like you're the type of person to say something is hard to justify your lack of success. I'd be happy to PM you a screenshot of my transcript from undergrad and this program. If someone like me with a sub 3.0 can get a 4.0 in this program, it really isn't that hard. I'm sorry if you struggled or thought it was difficult, cause me saying it was easy would make you feel dumb for thinking it was hard.
Hey can I PM you? I'm in the Rutgers program now and while I don't think it's too hard, I do have a few questions I would love to ask a student who has already done it!