Rutgers MBS vs Tufts MBS SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karamel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently got into the Rutger MBS (Dental Scholars track) and the Tufts MBS program. I wanted to know the pros and cons of either of these programs because I am conflicted about which to choose. Personally, I am doing the SMP as a sort of an academic boost rather than anything else. I would appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I recently got into the Rutger MBS (Dental Scholars track) and the Tufts MBS program. I wanted to know the pros and cons of either of these programs because I am conflicted about which to choose. Personally, I am doing the SMP as a sort of an academic boost rather than anything else. I would appreciate any input!
Cost difference? You’re potentially adding your SMP tuition to $600,000 for dental school.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Prices for masters program tend to be all the same.
Living costs in Newark is definitely cheaper.
If you're specifically looking to go to Tufts Dental School, then I would choose Tufts MBS. I was told that only about ~18 out of 150 students are dental and they have nearly a 100% matriculation rate to dental school.
Rutgers on the other hand has A LOT more pre-dental students so their matriculation rate is no where near that. Around 55% or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I also applies to Rutgers dental scholars. I was wondering did you receive info on acceptance through email or did you check your portal? On my portal it says no decision still.

tufts is definitely pay to play; if you want to go to tufts choose their master program, if you want to go to rutgers, pick their program

Hi I also applies to Rutgers dental scholars. I was wondering did you receive info on acceptance through email or did you check your portal? On my portal it says no decision still.
Hi, yeah they sent me an acceptance email about two weeks after I applied.

If you’re an NJ resident definitely Rutgers, in state dental tuition is almost half the price of tufts

Hey!! I just got accepted into Rutgers MBS program. How likely am I to get into their dental schools if I'm successful in the MBS program?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I saw you on another thread too! I just got an acceptance email today!

hi guys ! i just applied a few days ago, but i'm not sure if i'll get acecpted since my gre scores were horrendous. what were everyone's stats ?

hi guys ! i just applied a few days ago, but i'm not sure if i'll get acecpted since my gre scores were horrendous. what were everyone's stats ?
what were your gre scores like? I got a 290 and am hesitant to apply... i have a 2.87 gpa but I really want to go to the rutgers program

I was accepted to the program a few years back with a 2.8 sGPA and 20AA. I would assume it stays consistent every year so you will be fine.
The purpose of this program is to enrich your academics so most applicants are applying with low stats.

Yeah I know people with like 2.7 GPA's applying and getting into Rutgers MBS.

Do people who got into these programs mind sharing their stats? I have an oGPA of 3.2 and and sGPA of 3.08. not taken the dat yet, but plan on doing so this year. I'm from the boston area, so does anyone know if Tufts actually prefers out of state kids? For some strange reason, my friend who did the OHS masters at BU said that Bu actually preferred non MA students which I thought was strange because it's a private school. Does anyone else know if Tufts like this? Thanks

Do people who got into these programs mind sharing their stats? I have an oGPA of 3.2 and and sGPA of 3.08. not taken the dat yet, but plan on doing so this year. I'm from the boston area, so does anyone know if Tufts actually prefers out of state kids? For some strange reason, my friend who did the OHS masters at BU said that Bu actually preferred non MA students which I thought was strange because it's a private school. Does anyone else know if Tufts like this? Thanks

Tufts students with those stats have a very good chance of getting in if they do a masters. Tufts actually prefers older nontraditional students from the south more than anything else. Black and white students from the south, latino students from Florida, white students from the midwest, Indian & south asian students, persian students favored. northeast white people are usually legacies, if they are not tufts legacy they get no preference. admission is much more difficult if you are East Asian or white from a coastal area (exceptions for southern and midwestern whites). Race plays a much bigger role than it should at tusdm (the admissions dean & director are racist).

Notice that they don't list any stats on gpa or dat scores... (strong downward trend year after year so they stopped publishing them altogether and focus only on race so they can pat themselves on the back and say job well done on diversity). class size (and tuition) also increase every year without fail

Official D24 Stats (the fricking dean published this as is even with the typos & missing numbers)
  • The D24 Class size 211 (female students-133, male students-78).
  • The PDND Class size is 13 (female-8, male-5).
  • There are 18 students that have Tufts family ties.
  • Students are Asian(32%), 40 are Black/African American (19%), 27are Hispanic/Latinx-(13%) and 77 are white (36%).

The D24s are from all over the USA:

• 17% New England
  • 11% Mid- Atlantic
  • 14% Midwest
  • 32% South
  • 13% West Coast
  • 6% Southwest
  • 1.4% Mountain

Our Feeder Schools are (more than 5 students):

• Barry University - 32
  • Tufts University - 13
  • Mississippi College -7
  • Boston University- 11
  • Rutgers University - 8
  • IUPUI - 6
  • Tulane - 6
  • University of South FL - 8
Both the dean of admissions and director of admissions used to work at IUSD in Indiana. They are clearly biased in favor of Indiana students. Florida is by far the biggest feeder state (more students come from Florida than from the whole northeast region) also the pdnd class size was supposed to be 20, not 13 (which tells you that they had trouble filling the pdnd class because it's a scam to get more money from students). and both the white and asian student numbers are misleading. south asians are counted as asian, and the number of east asian students at tufts is deceptively low (they hate asian students). Persians (Iranians) and middle eastern students are counted as white

TuFtS aDmiSsiOn fOrMuLa: Florida + minority + masters degree (Barry) + age over 30 + (TUSDM legacy or did undergrad at IUPUI or Tufts) = admissions odds over 1000%

you could have 2.7gpa and dat score of 16 and still get in if you fit into that formula. bible

TLDR: none of the boston area dental schools prefer east coast/ boston area students. they all want students from other states outside of mass

Last edited:
Tufts students with those stats have a very good chance of getting in if they do a masters. Tufts actually prefers older nontraditional students from the south more than anything else. Black and white students from the south, latino students from Florida, white students from the midwest, Indian & south asian students, persian students favored. northeast white people are usually legacies, if they are not tufts legacy they get no preference. admission is much more difficult if you are East Asian or white from a coastal area (exceptions for southern and midwestern whites). Race plays a much bigger role than it should at tusdm (the admissions dean & director are racist).

Notice that they don't list any stats on gpa or dat scores... (strong downward trend year after year so they stopped publishing them altogether and focus only on race so they can pat themselves on the back and say job well done on diversity). class size (and tuition) also increase every year without fail

Official D24 Stats (the fricking dean published this as is even with the typos & missing numbers)
  • Students are Asian(32%), 40 are Black/African American (19%), 27are Hispanic/Latinx-(13%) and 77 are white (36%).

• 17% New England
  • 11% Mid- Atlantic
  • 14% Midwest
  • 32% South
  • 13% West Coast
  • 6% Southwest
  • 1.4% Mountain

• Barry University - 32
  • Tufts University - 13
  • Mississippi College -7
  • Boston University- 11
  • Rutgers University - 8
  • IUPUI - 6
  • Tulane - 6
Both the dean of admissions and director of admissions used to work at IUSD in Indiana. They are clearly biased in favor of Indiana students. Florida is by far the biggest feeder state (more students come from Florida than from the whole northeast region) also the pdnd class size was supposed to be 20, not 13 (which tells you that they had trouble filling the pdnd class because it's a scam to get more money from students). and both the white and asian student numbers are misleading. south asians are counted as asian, and the number of east asian students at tufts is deceptively low (they hate asian students). Persians (Iranians) and middle eastern students are counted as white

TuFtS aDmiSsiOn fOrMuLa: Florida + minority + masters degree (Barry) + age over 30 + (TUSDM legacy or did undergrad at IUPUI or Tufts) = admissions odds over 1000%

you could have 2.7gpa and dat score of 16 and still get in if you fit into that formula. bible

TLDR: none of the boston area dental schools prefer east coast/ boston area students. they all want students from other states outside of mass

Sorry, i'm a little confused by some of the point you mentioned. I am referring to the Tufts MBS program. I was asking if people who had stats like mine managed to make it into the Tufts MBS program first. And if the Tufts MBS program has a preference for out of state kids. Although, in terms of Tufts Dental School preferring kids from more ethnic backgrounds, I have heard that to be very true from people who attended Tufts. But I also happen to be south asian, so maybe tufts dental might take that into consideration when i apply lol.

• 17% New England
  • 11% Mid- Atlantic
  • 14% Midwest
  • 32% South
  • 13% West Coast
  • 6% Southwest
  • 1.4% Mountain

• Barry University - 32
  • Tufts University - 13
  • Mississippi College -7
  • Boston University- 11
  • Rutgers University - 8
  • IUPUI - 6
  • Tulane - 6

I did not know Middle Eastern students were white. I thought they'd be counted as Asian

I did not know Middle Eastern students were white. I thought they'd be counted as Asian
possibly pakistanis could be considered asian as they are south asian but in general middle eastern people are counted as white (I think it's a legacy from the nazis/hitler promising their middle eastern allies that they would be considered aryan is where this classification originally comes from) the way the us census and schools classify race can be archaic

Sorry, i'm a little confused by some of the point you mentioned. I am referring to the Tufts MBS program. I was asking if people who had stats like mine managed to make it into the Tufts MBS program first. And if the Tufts MBS program has a preference for out of state kids. Although, in terms of Tufts Dental School preferring kids from more ethnic backgrounds, I have heard that to be very true from people who attended Tufts. But I also happen to be south asian, so maybe tufts dental might take that into consideration when i apply lol.
ok you could probably make it to the MBS program. I know they prefer students who did undergrad or have legacy from tufts but other than that I think it is a more fair/normal admissions process for the MBS program than it is for the dental. most students in the MBS program want to attend medical school, so tufts dental actually gives a much larger preference to students who do masters at barry then tufts