Rutgers (new brunswick) VS TCNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RamiCollege

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which college would give me a better chance of getting into med-school?:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Whichever one you would be happier spending 4 years of your life. Reputation of undergrad schools is overrated. Just go somewhere non community-college and work hard, have fun, and be involved in extracurriculars that you are truly interested in.

The one that sounds cooler.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since UMDNJ-RWJMS is located inside the New Brumswick Rutgers campus, students from Rutgers get many acceptantes in that school.
Something to think about.

Since UMDNJ-RWJMS is located inside the New Brumswick Rutgers campus, students from Rutgers get many acceptantes in that school.
Something to think about.

Agreed. Btw, chaicos, did you attend Rutgers-NB?

If you're taking loans out, go to whichever one is cheaper!

well because i too myself am a Rutgers head...i would choose Rutgers New Brunswick...thats cause the pre-med office is really nice and can offer you many options...and plus RWJMS is right there which is extremely beneficial...you can speak to many of the medical students and all that exposure...however, i do know TCNJ students that got accepted to medical school....

it just comes down to..if you like a big campus or a small campus...:)

Both will give you a good shot. Here's my generalization, TCNJ will give you a better shot locally as people know it is more stringent academically and more difficult to get into. Rutgers is more known on a national level and will help when applying to schools across the country. Both are quality schools.

those numbers are misleading though. most of those people come from the 7 year BA/MD program.

you guys seriously need your own forum.

I've heard great things about TCNJ. I think it has a great reptutation, but honestly, just go where the money is.

They are both giving me about the same amount of money...(i'd pay about 6 to 8 K a year) but Ramapo College gave me a full ride... and i know that about 6 or 7 students get into med school from Ramapo each year (out of a class of 700) but i dont know if i should take the risk because its not a big name school

in all honesty, don't go to ramapo. but I think you already know this. At 6-8K per year you are not going to accumulate an insurmountable debt. Go to Rutgers or TCNJ. Both are solid academic choices. I have friends at all 3 schools and my brother goes to TCNJ so I feel I'm speaking from at least a little experience.

TCNJ hands down. it's a very high quality education and they send large numbers of students on to medical school each year. i would say from the biology dept alone last year there were over 30 from a class of about 90 (if you include the few who also went to dental school).

and remember, undergrad is an experience all its own, not just a stepping stone to medical school, so pick someplace where you can have a great time and become involved in activities that mean something to you. you may also decide in the end that you dont want to go to medical school, and so a great undergraduate education will be important for the basis of whatever you choose to do.

not that i'm a biased alum or anything. :D I had a choice to make between Rutgers and TCNJ and in the end it really wasnt a hard decision.

Rutgers has a lot of research going on and it's more competitive which breeds greatness in my opinion. I feel that at TCNJ, they rush kids out by allowing so many AP credits, I know kids that have gotten out in 2 years and still are doing nothing. It's a smaller campus but I'd go with Rutgers. It has more students going to medical school every year, and I love the challenge of each class they really set you up for the MCAT.

You'll get into something better than RWJMS if you do just as well at Rutgers as you do at TCNJ. IMO.

Rutgers has a lot of research going on and it's more competitive which breeds greatness in my opinion. I feel that at TCNJ, they rush kids out by allowing so many AP credits, I know kids that have gotten out in 2 years and still are doing nothing. It's a smaller campus but I'd go with Rutgers. It has more students going to medical school every year, and I love the challenge of each class they really set you up for the MCAT.

You'll get into something better than RWJMS if you do just as well at Rutgers as you do at TCNJ. IMO.

Definitely! I'm a senior at rutgers nb this year and the fact that they have exceeding amounts of research opportunities makes it the place to be over TCNJ. Even though rutgers is absolutely huge, I've never had a problem getting close to my professors. Rutgers is the real world; if you work your hardest, participate in class, go to office hours, and utilize all your resources such as free tutoring, study groups, etc, you will do great here. The fact that it's a large campus will expose you to a great variety of people from different walks of life and really broaden your perspectives. Dont just go by ranking or reputation alone, look at how and why the schools have those rankings. For med school purposes, I will reiterate the research at Rutgers is SO much easier to get into due to how much there is going on.

As a graduate of Rutgers and Henry Rutgers Scholar, I can attest to our great Necromancy program as well.