Rutgers Newark SGS MBS Dental Scholars 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indivimind

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was recently accepted for this fall 2018. Wanted to open up a thread for others joining the class! Had bunch of questions for past/current/future students!

Woulda 1 year track be recommended, or is 3 semesters more common?

What classes would you recommend for a 1 year track compared to a 3 semester track?

I look forward to getting to know yall!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What was your undergrad GPA?
I am in my last semester, you need 2 of the following Funds A Funds B or Human Physiology. I would recommend taking Funds A and Funds B, then you need 1 seminar requirement, and i would take oral biology seminar. Those are the requirements, then you should take pharmacology ,microbes, QAQI in research setting, toxicology, cellular pathology, DNA damage repair, regenerative medicine. I'm just naming these courses from the top of my head but there are a few more that im forgetting

For living, i wouldn't recommend newark. You have a car so you can live in kearny/harrison area which are 100x safer
Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I am in my last semester, you need 2 of the following Funds A Funds B or Human Physiology. I would recommend taking Funds A and Funds B, then you need 1 seminar requirement, and i would take oral biology seminar. Those are the requirements, then you should take pharmacology ,microbes, QAQI in research setting, toxicology, cellular pathology, DNA damage repair, regenerative medicine. I'm just naming these courses from the top of my head but there are a few more that im forgetting

For living, i wouldn't recommend newark. You have a car so you can live in kearny/harrison area which are 100x safer
Good luck

How are you doing in the program, and how many semesters did you decide to spread it over?
And do you know which dental classes I should add if I'm looking for the oral biology concentration?

Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated! And goodluck to you on your last sem and the future!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing alright, i will be graduating with a 3.5 GPA. However I did take some medical school/dental school courses which were kind of difficult. I personally took 3 semesters to finish the program but you can finish it in 2 its very doable. Take 14 in the fall if you can and 16 in the spring. The spring semester is like from January to July so the courses are very spread out.

If you are looking for an oral biology concentration i think you need oral immunology. Me personally i wouldn't go that route because those courses are very difficult and can impact your GPA. Most of my friends who were accepted this year didn't do an oral biology concentration and none of them took any dental school courses.
On the side note, they have made this program a bit harder because everyone was getting 3.8-4.0s. But that shouldn't stop you, if you stay on top of everything you'll be just fine
Good luck

I'm doing alright, i will be graduating with a 3.5 GPA. However I did take some medical school/dental school courses which were kind of difficult. I personally took 3 semesters to finish the program but you can finish it in 2 its very doable. Take 14 in the fall if you can and 16 in the spring. The spring semester is like from January to July so the courses are very spread out.

If you are looking for an oral biology concentration i think you need oral immunology. Me personally i wouldn't go that route because those courses are very difficult and can impact your GPA. Most of my friends who were accepted this year didn't do an oral biology concentration and none of them took any dental school courses.
On the side note, they have made this program a bit harder because everyone was getting 3.8-4.0s. But that shouldn't stop you, if you stay on top of everything you'll be just fine
Good luck

Oh alright, I gotcha. Thank you so much on all the info and help!

Bump.

Anyone else part of the incoming class starting fall 2018? I feel kinda in the gray for right now, seems Rutgers does this until weeks leading up to orientation.

How long after you submitted your application were you accepted?
My app was submitted 3/22 but it took a couple weeks for all my stuff to come in (transcripts, LORs, scores). I was accepted 4/16.
So like 3 weeks from the day I submitted, or like a week after my app was complete.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Guys,

I was also accepted into the program, and planning to attend in the fall--andddd will also be coming in from out of state. I was wondering if anyone that has completed the program, or is in the process of completing it--did you end up retaking/planning on retaking the DAT after finishing the program, if so, did your score improve? I'm asking because I would need to retake it since my score was crappy.

I'm looking forward to attending and meeting everyone :)

Hey guys! I'm attending the program this fall as well. Does anyone know the most common places where MBS students live? I feel a little lost with regards to information about housing and classes.

I'm looking at places too, honestly trying to find the cheapest possible housing with regards to a safe area.
When I look at the Rutgers SGS site, they give an estimate that on-campus housing actually comes out to be cheaper than off-campus which I find surprising.
On campus $53,978
Commuter $47,164
Off-campus $58,647

These are estimates with all tuition/fees/room and board etc. Can anyone confirm these figures?

If I plan on doing 3 semesters, anyone know if landlords are friendly to giving 16 month leases like starting August ending January? Or even in the case of graduate housing?

Holy crap sign me up to the cheapest living accommodations idc if it’s safe anymore lmao. It’s so pricey

Would it be too late for admission to RSBS if I were to apply mid-june? Reason being, I write my DAT around that time.

Should I still submit my application now? And send everything in without my DAT score?

Is there a facebook page for the incoming Fall class yet?
I joined the 2017-2018 page, I think the admins just recycle the FB page year to year and add/remove people who are still in the program accordingly.

Holy crap sign me up to the cheapest living accommodations idc if it’s safe anymore lmao. It’s so pricey
Actually, after looking around I agree... I thought Jersey was supposed to be cheap idk why 1bdr are still ~1k. Lmk if you find a decent spot. I was looking and found this place called Maple Gardens which is about 3 miles out from where our classes would be held (if you have a car this looks ideal). It says its a gated community, and has studios that start at 660/mo. AT LEAST THATS WHAT IT SAYS. But again, idk how to go about this cause we're 4 months away from starting lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be too late for admission to RSBS if I were to apply mid-june? Reason being, I write my DAT around that time.

Should I still submit my application now? And send everything in without my DAT score?
I think the deadline is June 30th? But in all honestly that's late, you never want to apply close to the deadline since this is a rolling admissions program. Unfortunately I think without either a DAT or GRE score to send in, they can't make a decision on your application so it'll be on hold until you get that in, regardless of when you submit your app. With that being said, I think you should still submit everything with your app now and just wait on your DAT score.

Also definitely just contact the admissions office, I've called and spoke to them plenty of times they're usually pretty quick and helpful.

I joined the 2017-2018 page, I think the admins just recycle the FB page year to year and add/remove people who are still in the program accordingly.

Actually, after looking around I agree... I thought Jersey was supposed to be cheap idk why 1bdr are still ~1k. Lmk if you find a decent spot. I was looking and found this place called Maple Gardens which is about 3 miles out from where our classes would be held (if you have a car this looks ideal). It says its a gated community, and has studios that start at 660/mo. AT LEAST THATS WHAT IT SAYS. But again, idk how to go about this cause we're 4 months away from starting lol...
Yeah the prices are insane, and I wish I was bringing a car, but im not -_____- so im probably going to be doing something on campus or at least a short walking distance, its tew much

I had another question that came to mind, anyone know if there are any classes in this program that fulfils the anatomy/physiology requirement for dental schools?

That was one class I never ended up taking in undergrad and saw that a lot of schools added A&P over the last few years. There's a handful (~3) of them on my school list that do require physiology for sure so wanted to know if I should just cut those schools out or if this MBS offers one.

Thanks!

Anyone apply late and still get in in the past? I'm sure there are seat limitations to this program and don't want to apply if there are no spots available...

Good luck

Sorry but when does the semester actually end? I thought the fall semester would start Aug--Dec, and then Spring being from Jan--May. Why July? (only bc I'm coming in from out of state)

I was recently accepted! What is the Facebook page name?

Anyone apply late and still get in in the past? I'm sure there are seat limitations to this program and don't want to apply if there are no spots available...
Yeah I have a friend who applied like June 30th last year and got accepted a few weeks into July, but this was for the medical scholars program and her stats were solid. But still doesn't hurt to apply, and its not too late yet tbh.

Sorry but when does the semester actually end? I thought the fall semester would start Aug--Dec, and then Spring being from Jan--May. Why July? (only bc I'm coming in from out of state)
The spring semester is an extended semester and classes range from when they start and finish. For example a 1 credit class could go from Jan-March and a 3 cred class would be from Feb-May, and another 3 cred class would be March-July. These are all hypothetical, but just look up the Spring 2018 course list and you'll get a better idea of what I mean. So it all really depends on which courses you decide to taking.

I'm applying this cycle and I'll be putting that I'm attending this program in the coming school year, but how do I know what classes to put if I cant register until August? I want to try and have my app submitted early as possible (End of June is when I'm hoping I get grade verification). Should I just put classes I THINK i'll be taking and then would i be able to edit them later in the cycle?

There are two academic update periods now. Once in aug 15-sept 30 and once in february. Just submit your application stating youve been accepted to a Masters. THen in the academic update, submit classes that are in progress.

Just be careful when picking your classes. They have made this program harder than what it was a few years ago.

I don't think the people talking about Newark on here have a real idea of the place. University Heights is a great place full of students that is safe (for a city) and CHEAP. You know what, I'm glad people like you exist - You spread hear-say about the city being scary and dangerous that keeps everyone away - that's why I live walking distance to school and and why my living expenses are dirt cheap. For anyone who needs info for living around the school, fell free to message me.

Good luck

Hi, I was curious if you were able to get in some research in this program as well as how well you got to know the faculty. I only ask because I know this program is larger than some of the other masters programs.

If completing the program in two semesters, when does the spring semester usually end?
If you look up the course listing for spring 2018, there are classes that start as late as May/June and go into July. So it really depends on your schedule. Spring is an extended semester and its not a tradition 16 weeks like in undergrad, so classes start and end at different times ranging from January to July.

Anyone got an acceptance/introduction letter or package from Rutgers? I accepted my admission and wondering if they send you any.

Anyone got an acceptance/introduction letter or package from Rutgers? I accepted my admission and wondering if they send you any.

I got an acceptance offer in the mail, and a short while after I sent my deposit I got an email with following instructions and a bunch of attached files. But they still don't send you much until a couple weeks leading up to orientation, I assume that's the more important stuff you'd want.

Hey Guys!

I recently got accepted into the dental scholars program too and I'm excited to meet everyone and get to work! I was wondering if anyone knows anything about housing because I'm coming from florida and I have no idea and I keep hearing how Newark isn't safe and what not.

Hey Guys!

I recently got accepted into the dental scholars program too and I'm excited to meet everyone and get to work! I was wondering if anyone knows anything about housing because I'm coming from florida and I have no idea and I keep hearing how Newark isn't safe and what not.

Contact Ayat Ibraheim [email protected] and say that you’re a newly admitted student in need of grad housing. Also try calling the housing office (idk the number), Newark is fine as long as you take precautions (don’t walk by yourself at night, the more you’re with groups even if just another person the better, don’t wear flashy brand name items/jewelry out in public, don’t flash around your new iphone, if you use headphones leave an earbud out so you can stay on alert). Rutgers and Newark police are everywhere and the shuttle system is extensive and safe for students and Rutgers staff only. The oncampus grad housing is really safe too with 24 hour security and access only with your Rutgers ID.. Idk where people are getting their numbers from but the housing for gsbs students runs from roughly 9-14K for the year I believe, depending on the building and what option you want studio-4 bedroom. My first year it cost about 10K for a 4 Bedroom 2 bath which was fine for me. I lived in a studio for a semester and the cost honestly wasn’t a wallet breaker compared to the 4 bedroom option. I lived at 15 Washington. The shuttle picks you up at the front and rear entrance and stops at all of the buildings you’d need to get to. Same with 180 West Market which is literally joined to the Med/Dental school where the majority of the classes are. You could essentially live there and attend class without ever stepping foot outside before graduation. The Med and dental students live there too. Another popular option is society hill which has more of a home feel (a lot of my friends liked that too), and there’s parking available there. I think a recent place by the school that opened is called Jones...gsbs/rsbs students lived there too. There are tons of options. The school does a good job of preparing you for the environment during orientation and during my time there no one really encountered any major issues with safety. Sometimes we would get an email from public Safety about 3 students mugged at 3am but you have to ask, why were they out at 3am. As long as you use common sense and the resources provided to you, you should be fine. During orientation, try giving the shuttle system a try so that you can get a good feel of the environment that you will directly be immersed in. I would suggest trying the Kearny shuttle as well if you can so that you can see your options for shopping as well.

Good luck
Hi, I just got accepted for spring 2019 and I'm not sure if I want to do Fund B or Human Physiology. I know Physio is probably more information but I feel that I'm better at retaining that area of science compared to cell bio so I am leaning towards that. Is cell bio a lot easier than physio? On top of that they give you the option to take Dental physiology instead of the human physio, would you recommend dental over human?

Good luck

IM CURRENTLY IN THE PROGRAM TOO. CAN YOU PLEASE OFFER SOME INPUT ON REGENERATIVE MEDICINE. I WASNT ABLE TO FIND THE SYLLABUS ONLINE. IM TAKING 18 CREDITS THIS SEMESTER SO I NEED A CLASS THATS SOMEWHAT REASONABLE LOL
HOW WERE THE TESTS LIKE? IS IT DOABLE FOR BEING SUCH A SHORT LENGTH CLASS?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!