Rutgers (OOS) vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabbaaateeeth

Reaction score
*post is for a friend*

Rutgers (oos) vs NYU (is) + scholarship

Hi I would appreciate some help in choosing which dental school to attend.
I live in Brooklyn and NYU is giving me 25k annually (w/3.0 GPA) so I would not need to pay for living expenses just commuting and personal stuff. I like NYU since it’s close to family and friends and I am more familiar with the area. I really love being in the city. It also has a good reputation and a lot of networking opportunities I hear. Some cons I have is the class size of almost 400 and having to look for patients to met requirements isn’t my favorite. Also the space in lab and the library can be frustrating since the school is so crowded if you don’t know someone to save you a spot or get there early enough you’re out of luck until space opens up.

For Rutgers I went to their master programs and loved the administrators and people everyone is so nice. I really bonded with my interviewer since it was in person rather then virtual for NYU. Biggest con is location. I commuted already so I know for dental school I won’t be able to and would have to live in or around Newark. I would like to live alone preferably and I personally wouldn’t feel the safest for 4 years. Another somewhat con is how competitive it is I know everyone in dental school is smart but there’s a lot of people competing to be ranked top.
Some pros I have is program is it’s so well organized during the pandemic students have been seeing patients where D3 in nyu patients year got pushed back. I like how they have coordinators that set up patients for you to met your requirements and the class size is smaller. I feel more connected to Rutgers but the location is the biggest thing for me. I like to go out and walk and do things outside and I don’t want to feel stuck at school or in an apt all the time.

Financially I’m estimating NYU will be around 75k with the scholarship plus commuting daily and Rutgers will be 86k the first year w/living since I’m oos and the 53k the next 3 years plus living.... as much as I love Rutgers I’m not sure if living away from family and paying extra to be alone with my cat would be worth it since NYU would be my cheaper option. I understand you get what you put into your experience and I do think both schools are great (even if I may be sounding bias) but do I choose a program I like and pay more for a crappy location or do I ride out NYU’s tough love train and make the best out of it. Any personal experiences or comments are welcomed, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

*post is for a friend*

Rutgers (oos) vs NYU (is) + scholarship

Hi I would appreciate some help in choosing which dental school to attend.
I live in Brooklyn and NYU is giving me 25k annually (w/3.0 GPA) so I would not need to pay for living expenses just commuting and personal stuff. I like NYU since it’s close to family and friends and I am more familiar with the area. I really love being in the city. It also has a good reputation and a lot of networking opportunities I hear. Some cons I have is the class size of almost 400 and having to look for patients to met requirements isn’t my favorite. Also the space in lab and the library can be frustrating since the school is so crowded if you don’t know someone to save you a spot or get there early enough you’re out of luck until space opens up.

For Rutgers I went to their master programs and loved the administrators and people everyone is so nice. I really bonded with my interviewer since it was in person rather then virtual for NYU. Biggest con is location. I commuted already so I know for dental school I won’t be able to and would have to live in or around Newark. I would like to live alone preferably and I personally wouldn’t feel the safest for 4 years. Another somewhat con is how competitive it is I know everyone in dental school is smart but there’s a lot of people competing to be ranked top.
Some pros I have is program is it’s so well organized during the pandemic students have been seeing patients where D3 in nyu patients year got pushed back. I like how they have coordinators that set up patients for you to met your requirements and the class size is smaller. I feel more connected to Rutgers but the location is the biggest thing for me. I like to go out and walk and do things outside and I don’t want to feel stuck at school or in an apt all the time.

Financially I’m estimating NYU will be around 75k with the scholarship plus commuting daily and Rutgers will be 86k the first year w/living since I’m oos and the 53k the next 3 years plus living.... as much as I love Rutgers I’m not sure if living away from family and paying extra to be alone with my cat would be worth it since NYU would be my cheaper option. I understand you get what you put into your experience and I do think both schools are great (even if I may be sounding bias) but do I choose a program I like and pay more for a crappy location or do I ride out NYU’s tough love train and make the best out of it. Any personal experiences or comments are welcomed, thank you!
Tell your "Friend" that they didn't need to write the first couple paragraphs. I saw 75K a year for $300K total vs. $245K for Rutgers. Along with how many people NYU has, how hard it is to get pt's, how money-hungry the program is as a whole..... Go to Rutgers, and it's not even close.

"Living away" from family is a stretch hahahah. Try living across the country like thousands of dental students do a year and then see how it is.

Go to Rutgers.

Reactions: 4 users
Tell your "Friend" that they didn't need to write the first couple paragraphs. I saw 75K a year for $300K total vs. $245K for Rutgers. Along with how many people NYU has, how hard it is to get pt's, how money-hungry the program is as a whole..... Go to Rutgers, and it's not even close.

"Living away" from family is a stretch hahahah. Try living across the country like thousands of dental students do a year and then see how it is.

Go to Rutgers.
Appreciate the reply, and I am sure my friend does too haha. I will be happily attending OSU in the fall :)

Current NYU student here and I commute as well. Your friend can message me specific questions if they like.

For class size the 360 students are split into 2 groups. So half will be in school at one time the other at another. We are then also split further into groups of 20 to 39 students are these are the students who are in your lab for the next 4 years. Each group also has a specific floor where you are assigned a lab bench and clinic chair that is yours so it not like you will be fighting for a chair.

As for what school I was also in the same position as I had multiple acceptances and after doing the cost comparison I chose NYU over the other dental schools because I didnt want to worry about non dental school things.

If I chose the other schools I would have had to worry about buying a car and then maintaining the car, and you know as a NYC person born and raised we dont really drive. But besides that factor because I am commuting it cut the price of NYU and made it similar to all the other schools.

I also think it's important to consider mental health too. For me being with my family and significant other has made dental school more doable. Dental school is a lot of stress. You have 20 to 30 credits a semester and if you dont have a strong support system you can crash and burn easily. Just by being home I only have to focus on dental school and have my family there to support me as well.

If money isnt the issue then compare the schools based on what they offer. As for the finding patient part of NYU all i can say about that is that NYU provides their students with a list of patients who have indicated interest in NYU to come in and get work done. We also have the ability to schedule our friends and family immediately where as some schools require new patients to get on a waitlist first before being able to get work done. Finding your own patients does suck but its not like NYU doesnt help with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you turn down Rutgers because of the location...all I could do is shake my head. Newark is fine. Most students like in Newark. If need be, live in Harison, Hoboken, or Jersey City.