Sep 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I've just registered as a non-degree student at Rutgers New Brunswick, fairly close to where I live, in order to finish up some prereqs in Physics and Orgo. I'm looking at the courseload now and I'm trying to determine which classes would best satisfy the requirements and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I checked this thead, but I couldn't find the information I needed. I'm just worried I'll register for a class only to find out its designed to help humanities majors meet a graduation requirement. Are there any Rutgers graduates or premeds who might be able to help me out? Or anyone insightful for that matter?

So for Organic Chem I'm seeing...

Organic Chemistry (307)
Organic Chemistry (308)
Principes of Organic Chemistry (315) [Not offered Spring 2011?]
Principles of Organic Chemistry (316)
Organic Chemistry Lab (309) [Not offered Spring 2011]

So which of these classes would typically satisfy the AMCAS organic chemistry requirements. Would taking 307 now and 308 next fall be sufficient, or should I wait and take 315 then 316? Also should I take the laboratory course, 309, or is there a laboratory included with lecture classes?

For Physics...

Physics for the Sciences (193) [Not offered Spring 2011?]
Physics for the sciences (194)
General Physics (203)
General Physics (204)
General Physics Laboratory (205)
General Physics Laboratory (206)

I gather that these two classes use algebra rather than calculus so it would be to my advantage on the MCAT to take them. I'm not quite certain what to take for a laboratory section, though, as the laboratory class appears to correspond with General Physics.

For summer classes...

I'd like to take some of the requirements over the summer as well, but I can't seem to find a course listing. I know some universities condense Science I and Science II into one class during the summer term. Does Rutgers do that? Or can I plan to take Organic Chemistry I this spring and just organic chemistry II plus lab over the summer?

Apologies for the long post. I just want to make sure I'm registering for the correct sections.

theWUbear

EM PGY2
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Medical Student
my post was wrong. disregard

Last edited:

Hah

7+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2009
Status
I've just registered as a non-degree student at Rutgers New Brunswick, fairly close to where I live, in order to finish up some prereqs in Physics and Orgo. I'm looking at the courseload now and I'm trying to determine which classes would best satisfy the requirements and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I checked this thead, but I couldn't find the information I needed. I'm just worried I'll register for a class only to find out its designed to help humanities majors meet a graduation requirement. Are there any Rutgers graduates or premeds who might be able to help me out? Or anyone insightful for that matter?

So for Organic Chem I'm seeing...

Organic Chemistry (307)
Organic Chemistry (308)
Principes of Organic Chemistry (315) [Not offered Spring 2011?]
Principles of Organic Chemistry (316)
Organic Chemistry Lab (309) [Not offered Spring 2011]

So which of these classes would typically satisfy the AMCAS organic chemistry requirements. Would taking 307 now and 308 next fall be sufficient, or should I wait and take 315 then 316? Also should I take the laboratory course, 309, or is there a laboratory included with lecture classes?

For Physics...

Physics for the Sciences (193) [Not offered Spring 2011?]
Physics for the sciences (194)
General Physics (203)
General Physics (204)
General Physics Laboratory (205)
General Physics Laboratory (206)

I gather that these two classes use algebra rather than calculus so it would be to my advantage on the MCAT to take them. I'm not quite certain what to take for a laboratory section, though, as the laboratory class appears to correspond with General Physics.

For summer classes...

I'd like to take some of the requirements over the summer as well, but I can't seem to find a course listing. I know some universities condense Science I and Science II into one class during the summer term. Does Rutgers do that? Or can I plan to take Organic Chemistry I this spring and just organic chemistry II plus lab over the summer?

Apologies for the long post. I just want to make sure I'm registering for the correct sections.

Take 307 and 308 this is what the pharmacy/premed's all take and it does not cover lab, lecture only. There is only one Organic lab at Rutgers its 2 credits, 1 semester, and covers 1 and 2, you need to take it. Don't take principles.

For physics I would take Gen Phys 1 and 2 and take the Gen 1 and 2 labs concurrently with the lecture. I would take these Physics over the summer and orgo 1 in 2 in the fall and spring semesters.

Rutgers does not condense their classes. Usually the summer is split into 2 sessions one from end of May to early July and the other from early July to like the end of August.

I'm not sure they offer Orgo I in the spring but take it if they do. Orgo far too intense to take during the summer so I wouldn't go that route. Most people don't take Orgo lab concurrently with the lecture because its really hard to get into because all the pharmacy students get priority. I also think you need to have passed Orgo I to take it. You need to register for Orgo lab during the first few days of registration or you'd have to keep checking the registrar for openings.

Last edited:
OP
B
Sep 14, 2010
Status
Thank you- I imagine I'll be lower priority as a non-degree student, but I did manage to find a section of Orgo 307 in the Spring, so hopefully that will help me get the ball rolling.

On a related note... I noticed it might be easier and less expensive to take the physics prereqs at another college. Is it generally frowned upon to do post-baccalaureate work at different locations?

Hah

7+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2009
Status
Thank you- I imagine I'll be lower priority as a non-degree student, but I did manage to find a section of Orgo 307 in the Spring, so hopefully that will help me get the ball rolling.

On a related note... I noticed it might be easier and less expensive to take the physics prereqs at another college. Is it generally frowned upon to do post-baccalaureate work at different locations?

If its a good 4 year school you can? Be prepared to say why you did that during interviews though. Community college courses are looked down upon at most schools however. I would just stick to Rutgers if I were you.

TTigers70

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
For clarity's sake:

Yes 307 and 308 is the "general" route to take. Principles is considered advanced (although I've seen their exams and quizzes and wasn't particularly impressed -- they do cover some additional material but apparently the professor is much better than the rotation that teaches 307/308).

309 is an orgo lab, however it is for majors and is accompanied by 310 (thus why 309 is not offered in the spring). The "standard" lab is 311 which indeed is 2 credits and fulfills the lab requirements of orgo 1 and 2 (aka 307/308). As was already said, getting into this lab is a b*****! Terrible planning on the department's part.

Physics 203-206 will give you everything you need to meet requirements and prepare for the MCAT. Unlike orgo lab, it is highly recommended that you take lab concurrent with coursework. Not that I found lab particularly helpful to help me learn the subject better, it is just better to get it out of the way. If possible, look into getting Professor Brahmia -- Excellent and will help you succeed if you put the time in.

Feel free if you have anymore questions.

Cheers

Aromatic Amine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
New Jersey
Status
Pre-Dental
You should take 307 or 308 but regardless of whether its 316/317 just make sure you do one thing.

TAKE IT WITH dr. taylor or govindarajoo. i cannot stress this more. if you see that either of them are teaching organic chemistry, you will maximize your chance at getting an A and learning the material from class notes rather than having to teach it to yourself from the book. if you had any other professor such as (boikess and roth) it would make your life more difficult.

TTigers70

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
You should take 307 or 308 but regardless of whether its 316/317 just make sure you do one thing.

TAKE IT WITH dr. taylor or govindarajoo. i cannot stress this more. if you see that either of them are teaching organic chemistry, you will maximize your chance at getting an A and learning the material from class notes rather than having to teach it to yourself from the book. if you had any other professor such as (boikess and roth) it would make your life more difficult.
Heard Taylor is teaching 307 in the Spring.. very interesting. Feel like the lab situation is going to get even worse now with orgo 1 being offered in the fall and spring.

intj

dabbler
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm also a nontrad student at rutgers!

Yep, all you need is 307 - 308 and 311. If you can't get into 311 with your low registration priorities, you could take it in the summer. Or you could take physics in the summer; I took physics int he summer last summer, along with physics labs, and it wasn't too hard to get a good grade.

307 and 308 during the school year is pretty rough, because the curve is pretty unforgiving and the students in the class are fairly smart and hard-working (you have the entire sophomore pharmacy class in there), but it's something pre-meds at rutgers just have to get through.

OP
B
Sep 14, 2010
Status
I've been trying to officially register for the section and I have another question...

...when you're taking classes as a non-degree student is it ordinary to need to prove you meet the prerequisites? I mean I think I definitely do: two semesters of general chemsitry + labs + A-'s at a good liberal arts college, but is it unusual for them to want copies of a syllabi?

TTigers70

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been trying to officially register for the section and I have another question...

...when you're taking classes as a non-degree student is it ordinary to need to prove you meet the prerequisites? I mean I think I definitely do: two semesters of general chemsitry + labs + A-'s at a good liberal arts college, but is it unusual for them to want copies of a syllabi?
The Chem department is especially ANAL. They make a lot of headaches for a lot of people. If you see them in person, they are actually decently helpful. I'd recommend it over speaking to them on the phone -- or absolute worst.. email