Rutgers RWJ vs Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaBreeze

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! In the past two days, I've been fortunate enough to be accepted off of two waitlists, and these are my only acceptances. I am also on the regular waitlist at Albert Einstein and the high-priority waitlist at NJMS. The deadline to select PTE at Hofstra is May 22nd and at RWJ is May 28th. I don't yet have financial aid information, but I'm in the lucky position for that not to be a significant factor. I am interested in some competitive specialties such as interventional radiology, sub-specialties of surgery, and ophthalmology.

Robert Wood Johnson
Pros
  • Older school: well-established residency relationships
  • Impressive match list at programs across the country
  • Cheaper by 20K (tuition + living) than Hofstra
Cons
  • Older facilities; med campus was underwhelming
  • Match rate: 96%

Hofstra
Pros
  • Newer facilities, and an innovative curriculum
  • Match rate: 100%, and lots match into Zucker SOM residencies
  • Location: Long Island will be fresh and new, with clinical opportunities in Brooklyn and Queens
Cons
  • Match list that seems mostly confined to the East coast (not that it's a big issue, but maybe indicative of a lack of relationships with West coast residencies?)
  • Lower residency PD scores than RWJ, but it seems like it's on the gradual rise

Ultimately, my impression is that these two schools are similar enough in terms of research, community service opportunities, and student groups. My primary determining factor is which will give me a better education with a higher chance of success in the match. Thanks for your advice and thoughts, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/thoughts on what to decide between these two schools. I'm really conflicted right now: on one hand, I'm really excited by Hofstra's forward-thinking curriculum, early clinical experience, new facilities, and access to LI / NYC, but on the other hand, it is still a new school and lacks the long-established connections of a school like Robert Wood Johnson. It seems clear that attending RWJ would be advantageous for the match, so does it really make a huge difference in the end which school's facilities / curriculum I'd like more?

Match being better and overall cheaper tuition sounds like a winning combo to me honestly. Even though it’s close to home I imagine you’re still living separately and RWJ is not that far from NYC! If anything having the family that close could be a useful support system.

Reactions: 1 users
Accept to Hofstra and went to second look so I am happy to speak about the school. It's a fine, fine school but not worth an additional 80k in debt!

I would not look at match rates. The reason that not everyone is matching is NOT due to the school. People take research years, people drop out, it's highly unlikely that they didn't match for no reason, especially at a reputable school. When I was comparing Hofstra to other schools I had been accepted to, I tried to put the match list in excel. Something I noticed... it appeared that not everyone at Hofstra matched beyond intern year (1-3 people). It's hard to say but the way they publish their match list, it kind of hides those who only matched for pre-lim/transitional. Both have solid match lists so I wouldn't worry about outcomes, except that RWJ probably does better outside the NYC area.

Have you asked Hofstra if they could offer more money? With how often they brag about their resources and their push to beef up their #s, I would be surprised if they did not try to match. Then you can decide only on fit.

How you decide fit is up to you, but I would caution that Hofstra =/= NYC. It's close, and yes, LIJ is partially in the city limits, but it still feels pretty suburban near the hospitals. You will probably live in the outer parts of Queens for MS3/MS4. I don't know where in Brooklyn they have rotations--that must be new. Lenox Hill is an option but that could be quite a commute depending on where you live. It's definitely easy to get to NYC via LIRR on the weekends, but at the end of the day, you are living in Nassau County, or in the more suburban parts of Queens.

However, if Hofstra cannot make the cost the same, I would go to RWJ. 80k is not a small amount of money, they're both neither close to nor far from NYC, and one is more reputable than the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user