RVC vs. Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LL5452

Reaction score
Davis
Cheaper tuition and cost of living
Close to home (I'm from the Bay Area - pro and con)
Better reputation within the United States
I could apply for the Army's HPSP and have 3 years of tuition paid for; cannot do so if I go to school in the UK

RVC
Would prefer to live in London
Close to mainland Europe
I have UK citizenship
I have family in the UK (2 siblings, all of my extended family)
Options to practice in Europe and Australia as well as the US

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I would have to say Davis just for the cost alone (in-state and you could possibly get 3 years of tuition paid sounds like a no brainer for me). Im pretty sure you need to have lived in the UK for like a year before attending to get the cheaper tuition option, even with a UK citizenship, but I could be wrong.

I also applied to the RVC this year. They said we could expect responses by mid-February. If you don't mind me asking : Did you already get a confirmed seat?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi

I would have to say Davis just for the cost alone (in-state and you could possibly get 3 years of tuition paid sounds like a no brainer for me). Im pretty sure you need to have lived in the UK for like a year before attending to get the cheaper tuition option, even with a UK citizenship, but I could be wrong.

I also applied to the RVC this year. They said we could expect responses by mid-February. If you don't mind me asking : Did you already get a confirmed seat?
Yes! Found out 2 days ago. I understand the cost argument, obviously student loans are scary and something I’ll have to deal with for a long time. But I don’t want to have my life decisions be driven by fear and regret not going with my gut later on

Hi there,
I think another way to look at it is; if you go to Davis and graduate with very low debt, you will not have to make life decisions based on paying off debt for many, many years in the future. It’s not a fear based decision, it’s a decision to prioritize your future (and still get a DVM from a great school). In the future you can take a lower paying job that you are more interested in, work fewer hours, and pursue opportunities such as residency without as much stress from growing interest on enormous loans. You can also fund lots of European vacations with the money you would save. I believe you could still practice in the UK as well, but don’t know the details of that process. Just offering a different perspective to consider. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user