RVU-CO or VCOM-Virginia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWantTibiaDoctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to this site so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area about this, but I'm having trouble deciding between these schools mainly because of financial reasons. I'm from Virginia but am hoping to get out of Virginia for medical school. I told myself I wanted to go to a totally new area for medical school because I've been in Virginia my whole life (besides taking trips).

RVU-CO

Pros

Board scores
Match statistics
Curriculum (I like the thought of seeing body systems twice rather than a block schedule)
Location - Denver was awesome and I would rather be near a metropolitan area. I love the mountains as well

Cons

Cost - I will likely be taking out 90,000 worth of loans yearly for this school
Far away from home in case of emergencies

VCOM - Virginia

Pros

I went to Virginia Tech and have plenty of connections in the Blacksburg area for research and such
Cost - I would likely take out 70,000 worth of loans (their COA on their website accounts for random things)
Missionary work - they emphasize this heavily
Block Schedule - only because I get a week off after every block

Cons

Worried about how happy I would be staying another 4 years in the same area
Big primary care emphasis (not sure what specialty I want, but I don't want to be restricted)

From what I've read so far, it seems to be that RVU is the better school. Yet is it worth paying $20,000 more each year? It's not that I necessarily dislike Virginia. I am just searching for a breath of fresh air and am worried about being unhappy by staying here another 4 years. Should I risk being unhappy and stay in Virginia for 4 years for the lower COA and more connections, or should I make the move to RVU? Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
why vcom?

1.) 20,000 more per year won't get you into specialties. That's all on how well you do, not the school.
2.) Having support of your family nearby --- plus what if something happens to your family members?
3.) RVU doesn't have much research opportunities if you want that. I've only heard of students being potentially set up with research at Colorado University like ~45 minutes away.
4.) You're going to be stuck inside studying no matter where you are. You won't get much opportunity to go out that much. Also, if you've been okay in VA so far, just stay. You really don't know if RVU's environment will be worse or better for you.

Reactions: 1 user