RVU-SU vs. PCOM-GA vs. ATSU-SOMA vs. COMP-NW vs. Touro-NV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• RVU-SU

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • PCOM-GA

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • ATSU-SOMA

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • COMP-NW

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Touro-NV

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

simplebell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on if one of these schools will give me a significant leg up when it comes to board scores or preparation for residency. I really did love going to these schools and could see myself at any one of them so just trying to get some other perspectives. Also if any current students could address any concerns that would be awesome!

RVU-SU
-LOVED the faculty/staff here
-seemed like the school really improves based on student input
-curriculum seems pretty on point and they offer some pretty cool tracks
Concerns:
- I had were that I don't know how well I'd get along with the student body as most of them are male and seemed to be married with children
-going to a new schools always has kinks that has to get worked out which is also a little concerning

PCOM-GA
-most impressive school I've been to in regards to facilities- had really awesome simulator mannequins
-I live in FL so would have the opportunity to do rotations close to home unlike the other schools
Concerns:
-The students and staff did not seem as happy as they did at other schools
- seems like there is not much patient exposure/opportunities to volunteer in underserved communities which is something I am interested in

ATSU-SOMA
-leaning towards this schools because I could live with my significant other (save on rent and we both would be happy)
-really enjoy the opportunity to work in underserved communities and get early patient exposure with the 1+3 curriculum
Concerns:
-Felt very neutral about faculty/staff/students
-didn't see any simulator mannequins or anything students practice procedures on- a little concerned how this would effect my preparedness for residency and maybe boards?
- wondering if this unique curriculum will help/hurt me when competing for residency

COMP-NW
-LOVED the students and admissions team here
- really like the opportunities to volunteer
-got a really awesome family vibe from the school and it seems pretty established in the area
Concerns:
-Also didn't see many simulators to practice procedures here- unsure how that may affect preparedness
-not sure what living in a rural town would be like

Touro-NV
-Really liked how I could stay in the same area for 3rd year rotations
-School is expanding and adding new tracks and disaster training which is awesome
-well established in the area
Concerns:
-Didn't really see any decent places to study
- little patient/underserved exposure
-Neutral vibes from students/faculty/staff

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Everything I'm about to say is going to be anecdotal and potentially biased, so take it as you will.

RVU does have an excellent first and second year curriculum. You will absolutely receive a quality education. And you wouldn't be a part of the absolute very first class going through and a lot of bugs will have been worked out. Not all of them of course but a lot. There is a huge concerned that you should take into account for third and fourth year rotations. I personally think there's a high likelihood that things will be alright for us, but nowhere near as good as it will be in even 5 or 6 years. Definitely way that option, but Rocky Vista University as a whole has shown that they are good at putting together that's all it program and the board of directors clearly know what's up.

The students at COMP-NW were hands down the friendliest people that I met at any interview they seem the happiest. I do really like the rotation locations that they have set up and they have a very solid reputation on the west coast I believe. Solid School all around. You do have to be alright with pretty rule areas and your first couple years especially, but I think that it provides a lot of unique opportunities and they have that hospital right across the street.

Turning down the Touro NV interview was really hard. Two of the three Physicians I shadowed when there and they were a couple of the best physicians that I have ever met in any capacity. Now that obviously could have a lot to do with them as individuals and not reflect the school, but they clearly had decent training and especially one of the doctors absolutely loved his third and fourth year rotation locations. I think that it might have one of the least fun environments and areas to be in. Obviously you're close to Las Vegas which can be fun, but the school itself I don't exactly love the location of. A great school though with good things coming I think.

I turned down an interview at AT Still. I think the one and three curriculum has huge advantages, I just didn't think that it was going to work very well for me. Obviously a super well-established program though. One of my best friends is at Soma right now, and he absolutely freaking loves it. Again this is more anecdotal evidence, but my only experience with students there.

Can't offer anything on Georgia, I lived there for a while and while I loved it I'm not eager to go back so I didn't apply.

Honestly you're least substantial concerns seem to be with the schools in Lebanon and Georgia. The concerns you have with the other schools I think they're a little bit more founded. And that's just my take on it.

PCOM seems like a great fit for you. I'm obviously in favor of rocky vista as well ;) after that I'd say COMP. That is just based on what you said in your pros and cons. Other people would probably have a t still and number one or ending up in Henderson would have huge benefits for other people. Just a couple thoughts don't know if it made a difference at all but good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Everything I'm about to say is going to be anecdotal and potentially biased, so take it as you will.

RVU does have an excellent first and second year curriculum. You will absolutely receive a quality education. And you wouldn't be a part of the absolute very first class going through and a lot of bugs will have been worked out. Not all of them of course but a lot. There is a huge concerned that you should take into account for third and fourth year rotations. I personally think there's a high likelihood that things will be alright for us, but nowhere near as good as it will be in even 5 or 6 years. Definitely way that option, but Rocky Vista University as a whole has shown that they are good at putting together that's all it program and the board of directors clearly know what's up.

The students at COMP-NW were hands down the friendliest people that I met at any interview they seem the happiest. I do really like the rotation locations that they have set up and they have a very solid reputation on the west coast I believe. Solid School all around. You do have to be alright with pretty rule areas and your first couple years especially, but I think that it provides a lot of unique opportunities and they have that hospital right across the street.

Turning down the Touro NV interview was really hard. Two of the three Physicians I shadowed when there and they were a couple of the best physicians that I have ever met in any capacity. Now that obviously could have a lot to do with them as individuals and not reflect the school, but they clearly had decent training and especially one of the doctors absolutely loved his third and fourth year rotation locations. I think that it might have one of the least fun environments and areas to be in. Obviously you're close to Las Vegas which can be fun, but the school itself I don't exactly love the location of. A great school though with good things coming I think.

I turned down an interview at AT Still. I think the one and three curriculum has huge advantages, I just didn't think that it was going to work very well for me. Obviously a super well-established program though. One of my best friends is at Soma right now, and he absolutely freaking loves it. Again this is more anecdotal evidence, but my only experience with students there.

Can't offer anything on Georgia, I lived there for a while and while I loved it I'm not eager to go back so I didn't apply.

Honestly you're least substantial concerns seem to be with the schools in Lebanon and Georgia. The concerns you have with the other schools I think they're a little bit more founded. And that's just my take on it.

PCOM seems like a great fit for you. I'm obviously in favor of rocky vista as well ;) after that I'd say COMP. That is just based on what you said in your pros and cons. Other people would probably have a t still and number one or ending up in Henderson would have huge benefits for other people. Just a couple thoughts don't know if it made a difference at all but good luck!

Thank you so much for your response! It definitely helps put priorities into perspective. It's definitely going to be difficult turning down some of these schools, but at least it seems like I can't go wrong with any of them. I really appreciate you taking the time to give your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: Take everything w/ a grain of salt.

I only had II at PCOM-GA.

Also a FL resident and totally agree w/ everything regarding pros.

Regarding cons; I am not sure if you know, but as a 4th year you would have to get minimum of two underserved/rural communities. Aside from this, during first and second year student panel, this point was brought up. One of the students who was in one of the clum stated that they recently had big event serving the undeserved community along with other physicians as their mentor. So this could mean that you could become part of the club and organize how much community services you want to engage in.

Regarding students' happiness, I cannot really comment as I have not been to any other interviews. However, one of the PCOM-GA student in sdn did brought up that usually because of the stress of the exam week or something, you might have had this experience. For me personally, nothing obvious stood out.

While this was biased and I haven't received acceptance yet, but this is just another perspective.

Reactions: 2 users
Current PCOM - GA student. I can't speak for some of the schools you have listed, but I did get accepted to Touro - NV and PCOM - GA. I chose PCOM - GA and unfortunately I do regret it. Let me start off with the pros first.

Pros:
Recorded lectures. Absolutely the best. Most of our classes are not mandatory. We do have some mandatory classes when guest lectures come in (unfortunately we have "guest lectures" for most of our second year) but so far it's been good. They'll take off points if you don't go to mandatory lectures.
Research: There are lots of faculty members who do research so you'll have no problems getting opportunities if that interests you.
Area: The location is pretty nice. There are lots of apartments in Suwanee and it's not by any means a rural area. Lots of fun stuff to do in Atlanta as well.
Name Recognition/Reputation: Lots of MD institutions recognize the "PCOM" name so it helps when applying for stuff outside of school (i.e, summer programs)
Faculty: We have some very awesome professors that do a great job of teaching clinically relevant material and do a great job teaching the basic sciences.
OMM: If you truly like OMM and want to learn it, this is definitely the school for you. The faculty does a great job of teaching and they write questions for the COMLEX. You'll get board-style questions on every exam and if you do well, it's a good sign for the OMM part of the COMLEX.

Cons:
Administration: Constantly changing administration. They will treat you like a child. They will constantly tell you not to study for boards and say that class is more important. They have also instituted a new policy that takes away a week from our dedicated board study time and substitutes it for class time. Your clinical classes will not finish and you will have to do them during your dedicated board study time as well.
Clinical curriculum: Very disorganized. Most of the students think of it as a "joke" class. They have "sim centers" that the students are not free to use. Interested in learning procedural things? Or even simple things like scrubbing in? You won't learn that throughout the year. Instead, they'll cram it into a 3-4 week period. I don't know if many schools do this, but my other colleagues have been doing that kind of stuff since year one.
Faculty: Some of the faculty is amazing. However, it's about half and half. The guest lectures are just time fillers that are sort of teaching as a hobby. Absolutely terrible at teaching. And on top of that, some are just plain mean and pretentious. There will be A LOT of MD bashing. Don't know if this happens at other DO schools but it just rubs me the wrong way personally.
Rotations: You will be placed in a lottery system. Many of the rotation sites are in rural parts of south GA. This will not change. There are some spots in FL and AL as well. There are also spots in Atlanta but these are very coveted spots. Depending on which site you get, the rotations will be very spread out and sometimes you'll have to drive as far as 2 hours to get to your rotation site. Some of the students have had to live in the garage of their preceptors or in a trailer park because the rotation sites are so rural.

Overall: If given the chance to change, I'd take it. I'm not sure how things are in Touro - NV, so my feelings are just based off of my feelings from being here. I am originally from GA and even the comfort of home doesn't make GA - PCOM any better.