RVUCOM (CO) vs Midwestern AZCOM vs KCUCOM (Joplin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rolinwthehomies

Reaction score
Been tearing my hair out for a couple of months now. Any opinion or advice would be appreciated greatly. Thanks friends!

RVUCOM (CO)
Pros: excellent location close to family, great match even outside of FM, excellent board scores, not too expensive tuition, love the curriculum, preclinical is pass/fail

Cons: class size is increasing from 150 to 200, high cost of living area, kind of newer (established 2006), “for profit” institution (I’m not sure if this is bad or not.)

Midwestern AZCOM
Pros: love the area, location somewhat close to family, great residency match and board scores, another awesome curriculum, well established institution (founded in The 70s), low cost of living

Cons: EXPENSIVE tuition (very), large class size, WEEKLY tests

KCUCOM Joplin campus
Pros: another school with a great match and good board scores (lower on comlex II PE), inexpensive compared to the others, automatic $10,000 scholarship, inexpensive cost of living area

cons: very large class size, do not like the area (very much want to be out west), the Joplin campus is very new.

It has been my opinion that all of these schools are really great. The interviews all made the schools out to be amazing, which has made it difficult to come to definitive decision. Location is a huge factor for me, but I would like what is best for my family and career to come first. Someone..... anyone, help a brotha out.

Members don't see this ad.

Out of these I would probably put AZCOM last just because of the price. KCU has a great reputation and is much cheaper. I don't know much about RVU so I can't speak about them.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at and was accepted to all three of these schools. I agree with the above, AZCOM should be taken off your list due to price. By the time you graduate you could be paying 80000+ a year just on tuition with the way they raise it every year. that is outrageous and nothing the school offers can justify that

Gotta weigh the pros and cons of KCU-joplin and RVU

I have friends at both schools and they seem to both be doing well and enjoying their time. I personally would have probably chosen RVU primarily due to location (closer to family), but I think KCU would ultimately be cheaper and is a solid school as well from what I hear.

However, with the scholarship and stuff too I would probably take KCU-joplin since you could minimize debt. Also, just so you know my friend is a 3rd year at Joplin and since the city is so small and stuff he did have to do a fair amount of driving for clinical years, not too bad from what he says though

let me know if you have any other questions!

Anywhere but RVU. You may pay more (but not much) to go elsewhere but you'll actually get a worthwhile education. RVUs first and second-year curriculum is good, but third and fourth year is a nightmare. There are not nearly enough preceptors as is. The school lies on your paperwork as to the rotation you've completed so boxes can be checked (Putting you with a Family med doc and calling it OBGYN, or Psych or putting you with an APRN and calling it Family med) and it's only going to get worse as the 3rd campus opens and class sizes increase.

I would steer clear of RVU or any for-profit program. RVU in particular is owned by the same company which owns SGU in the Caribbean. The school is under pressure to return profits rates of 20-30% or more for investors, so your education as a student is not among the school's primary priorities. From docs I've worked with in the Denver area (6+ yrs experience), none had anything nice to say about that program. Given it's rep in the area, the process for getting adequate rotations is brutal for their students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user