RVUCOM-SU vs. DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RVUCOM-SU or DMU

• Total voters

anhvu12

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know there are threads concerning both schools, but couldn't find any specific comparisons between the two. I was wondering if you wonderful people could help me decide between these two wonderful schools. I really like both schools, both having their pros and cons, and I know I would be happy at either school, just not sure which one I should commit to at this moment.

RVUCOM-SU
PROS:
Beautiful campus, like it more than DMU
Higher COMLEX pass rate and scores
I'm really into ultrasound and they have large emphasis on ultrasound
Awesome tracks if I want to do it
CONS
Newer school (even though its sister to RVU-CO), so may be difficult to find nearby clinical rotations
Longer school year

DMU
PROS:
More established name, so clinical rotations are more established
OMM focus
Gym and Intramurals
Multiple choice anatomy tests
100% match in the last 5 years
CONS:
Class size worries me a little
Ultrasound program is still new
Facilities are a little bit older

To be completely honest, and a realization while making this list, I think I like RVUCOM-SU a little better, but the concern with clinical rotations is huge for me. I would be perfectly happy at DMU as well. I would appreciate any feedback people have on either school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ultrasound in preclinical years is pretty low yield. You don't know much and you probably will only use it once every couple months.

Rotation site quality is much more important. PDs recognizing your school is much more important.

OMM is a time suck but you learn how to game the system after a couple months and you only need to study 1-2 days before the test/practical.

Hello everyone,

I know there are threads concerning both schools, but couldn't find any specific comparisons between the two. I was wondering if you wonderful people could help me decide between these two wonderful schools. I really like both schools, both having their pros and cons, and I know I would be happy at either school, just not sure which one I should commit to at this moment.

RVUCOM-SU
PROS:
Beautiful campus, like it more than DMU
Higher COMLEX pass rate and scores
I'm really into ultrasound and they have large emphasis on ultrasound
Awesome tracks if I want to do it
CONS
Newer school (even though its sister to RVU-CO), so may be difficult to find nearby clinical rotations
Longer school year

DMU
PROS:
More established name, so clinical rotations are more established
OMM focus
Gym and Intramurals
Multiple choice anatomy tests
100% match in the last 5 years
CONS:
Class size worries me a little
Ultrasound program is still new
Facilities are a little bit older

To be completely honest, and a realization while making this list, I think I like RVUCOM-SU a little better, but the concern with clinical rotations is huge for me. I would be perfectly happy at DMU as well. I would appreciate any feedback people have on either school!

I go to DMU and the class size shouldn't be an issue, at least it wasnt for me. You rarely see everyone because of recorded lectures and the professors are very good about scheduling office hours, etc. One is even known to stroll around the library before exam day. You already did PM me about this but figured I'd throw it out for those just scrolling through. Best of luck in the decision

Members don't see this ad :)
Ultrasound in preclinical years is pretty low yield. You don't know much and you probably will only use it once every couple months.

Rotation site quality is much more important. PDs recognizing your school is much more important.

OMM is a time suck but you learn how to game the system after a couple months and you only need to study 1-2 days before the test/practical.

I'm just interested in ultrasound as a whole, I'm assuming residency is where I'll get most of my training, but it would be nice to have a strong background in it. This definitely isn't a deal breaker kind of thing. But yeah I think rotation site quality is the most important thing, which is why I was so on the fence with RVUCOM. I spoke with the dean and he assures that the clinical rotation sites will be good, but I'm still a bit hesitant. I've read things like when PDs are going through applications for residency spots they'll lump all DO schools together, regardless of their name because they don't take their time to familiarize themselves with the DO schools (of course this is with heavily MD favored programs). I'm really excited about OMM! DMU said they put a larger emphasis on this compared to other schools, I know it means I have less time in the day to study, but it's definitely something I'm excited for.

I go to DMU and the class size shouldn't be an issue, at least it wasnt for me. You rarely see everyone because of recorded lectures and the professors are very good about scheduling office hours, etc. One is even known to stroll around the library before exam day. You already did PM me about this but figured I'd throw it out for those just scrolling through. Best of luck in the decision

Thanks so much for posting on here, it'll be nice for others to see all the great things you've said. Thanks so much for the help!

but it would be nice to have a strong background in it.
Trust me you'll have more important things to do than worry about US. Its a nice addition but its not like DMU doesn't have US either. I'm confident their US program will suffice for pre-clinical years

I spoke with the dean and he assures that the clinical rotation sites will be good, but I'm still a bit hesitant.
The school hasn't been around long enough. Most schools take a couple years to work out the kinks in 3rd year rotation. If you have the choice, save yourself the headache. Don't risk being a test-subject.

I've read things like when PDs are going through applications for residency spots they'll lump all DO schools together, regardless of their name because they don't take their time to familiarize themselves with the DO schools (of course this is with heavily MD favored programs).

For several residencies I am sure this is true but PDs recognize the "original 5" schools.

DMU by a mile

Deans of new schools will give you the smoke & mirrors about how great their curriculum is and how they are ahead of the curve with clinical rotates. Its just words. I like how this new school is advertising COMLEX pass rates, yet they haven't had their first class take boards yet LOL.

Believe only what you see and DMU has everything in plain view.

Trust me you'll have more important things to do than worry about US. Its a nice addition but its not like DMU doesn't have US either. I'm confident their US program will suffice for pre-clinical years

The school hasn't been around long enough. Most schools take a couple years to work out the kinks in 3rd year rotation. If you have the choice, save yourself the headache. Don't risk being a test-subject.

For several residencies I am sure this is true but PDs recognize the "original 5" schools.

Yeah that's true, I should focus on the more important stuff before worrying about US. And yeah they did say US at DMU is becoming more prevalent so that's nice. Yeah that's what I assumed as well, being the first year only, I don't know how he can be so confident in the clinical rotations, but I mean I've talked to other people as well and they seem confident that RVUCOM will have good rotations. Ah nice, so DMU is one of the more recognized schools, that's good. You've been a great help, thanks so much!

DMU by a mile

Deans of new schools will give you the smoke & mirrors about how great their curriculum is and how they are ahead of the curve with clinical rotates. Its just words. I like how this new school is advertising COMLEX pass rates, yet they haven't had their first class take boards yet LOL.

Believe only what you see and DMU has everything in plain view.

Yeah I got that vibe at some other schools I interviewed at, but I really do like RVUCOM. Plus the dean called me and asked me if I had any questions for him haha, so I thought that was a nice touch.

One of my letter-writers is a PD, and he definitely knows a lot of the D.O. schools and their reputations.

He looks favorably on RVU, FWIW, just because he’s had good residents from there in the past. He spoke highly of KCU, RVU, DMU, Nova specifically. This is an n=1 anecdote, but I feel like it’s valid nonetheless.

One of my letter-writers is a PD, and he definitely knows a lot of the D.O. schools and their reputations.

He looks favorably on RVU, FWIW, just because he’s had good residents from there in the past. He spoke highly of KCU, RVU, DMU, Nova specifically. This is an n=1 anecdote, but I feel like it’s valid nonetheless.

That’s good to know! The more PDs that know about DO schools the better and I’m glad he looks favorably on both schools, thanks!