RVUCOM - SU vs. UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acadeca14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have already made up my mind, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything. I am leaning towards RVUCOM - SU. Both schools are about the same price. While both are brand new, RVUCOM seems to have a more established record since it is part of the RVUCOM system (board scores are good and residency placement is excellent...hopefully this transfers over). RVUCOM is also closer to both my family (California) and my wife's family (Utah and California). Cost of living is approximately the same. Any additional thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I have already made up my mind, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything. I am leaning towards RVUCOM - SU. Both schools are about the same price. While both are brand new, RVUCOM seems to have a more established record since it is part of the RVUCOM system (board scores are good and residency placement is excellent...hopefully this transfers over). RVUCOM is also closer to both my family (California) and my wife's family (Utah and California). Cost of living is approximately the same. Any additional thoughts? Thanks.
I would go with RVU-SU but admittedly I'm biased since I'm very familiar with RVU-Denver and know some faculty members and students at that school. But be forewarned, ALL new schools are a risk since you have no empirical data (board scores, match success) to base your decision on.

In essence, all new DO schools are an alternative of last resort in my opinion. Here's why based upon RVU's performance in Denver... For their inaugural class, their COMLEX Level 1 first time pass rate was only around 83%. However, after they got the kinks ironed out, their subsequent classes had pass rates > 95%. Don't sign up to be in a new DO school's inaugural class unless you need to.

Last edited:
Both are new.... But only one can get you federal loans!

Also this is completely unfounded, and purely my opinion.... With RVU being a for profit school, I believe this campus expansion will be unique from other expansions we've seen. A failed campus expansion would hurt RVU, and the image they have created (and trust me the image before they proved themselves was horrible.) With being a non-trad I have more experience in business than in medicine. The company I worked for opened multiple stores which I help facilitate in some way. Failure in those branches posed a larger threat to company image (and owner pride) than anything else! Once again this opinion is made from past business experience not medical education experience.

Poop sandwhich and a Turd hotdog.

Go with RVU. UIW sounds like a school of cultists.