RVUCOM vs SJB/UCC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deomnibusdubitandum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I anticipated finding myself in this situation and while I don't want to make this about DO vs MD I do think that is a relevant factor. I've been accepted to a DO close to home and two MD schools in Puerto Rico. I'm not entirely certain what I want to do for residency just yet and I can't help but wonder if going MD would potentially keep more doors open to me in the future. I have interviewed at other MD schools just have not yet received any decisions.

School San Juan Bautista/ Universidad Central Del Caribe
Pros
  • Great climate and an opportunity to develop Spanish language skills that may be beneficial later on in career
  • More of a focus on research than the DO schools I've seen
  • As far as I can tell, they match adequately, including in some competitive fields such as nsgy, derm, etc.

Cons
  • Far from friends and family
  • I may be overestimating how much going to a USMD school will help in the match
  • Outdated facilities

School RVUCOM
Pros
  • Close to home
  • Students all seem happy there
  • Nice new facilities

Cons
  • weak clinical rotations and lots of driving
  • RVUCOM-UT had a notoriously bad match this last year
  • 20k more each year for tuition (62k)

Summary: It's a tough decision given how different the next 4 years of my life will be depending on which of these options I choose.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How strong do you feel your Spanish is? I don't know if SJB and UCC do it differently, but I thought I remembered at least one of the schools has a lot of lectures and/or other curriculum in Spanish.

How strong do you feel your Spanish is? I don't know if SJB and UCC do it differently, but I thought I remembered at least one of the schools has a lot of lectures and/or other curriculum in Spanish.
I’m confident in my Spanish capabilities. Regardless, I know that both schools only test in English which I think will be beneficial.

Check the match rate if you can. I think SJB lost accreditation, but that was 10 years ago and they obviously regained it. So UCC would be my pick, but I know very little to differentiate between those two. But I see you phrased it more about RVU vs PR MD schools.

If you got into the RVU Utah campus as opposed to the main one, I definitely would not consider that. That match was horrendous and they tried to cover it up I remember right.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go RV - even though it’s osteopathic. San Juan Bautista is ok, but see PR daily life below. UCC is the weakest (theyre PROUD to have opened a Chiropractic school, lol).

As someone from PR… go RV simply because you don’t have to deal with 4 years of crumbling infrastructure, high crime, hot-humid weather, not infrequent power outages, nightmare traffic and regular hurricanes.

Afterwards SJB.

And if you truly must, UCC, the school that prides itself in promoting modern day quackery.

Last edited: