RWJ Students - Choosing Clinical Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Z

zimmie256

I'm thrilled that I just got accepted to RWJ for next year, and I was hoping that current or former RWJ students could give me some advice on choosing a clinical campus. I have until Oct 30th to accept the offer of admissions, and I need to decide before then.

So, what are the pros/cons of rotating at New Brunswick or Camden? Is there anything about either location that you wish you had known earlier (that may not be obvious to me now)? Generally any advice about making this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

camden is crappy, go to new brunswick. its less crappy.

Hey,

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

I am a first year at RWJ and chose the New Brunswick location for 3rd and 4th year. Basically, both programs are very good and you will hear positive things about both. Their match lists are also very similar so academically, I think you cant go wrong with either one. For me, it just came down to not wanting to move after my second year. Although Camden is not the hottest place, you do get to do all your rotations in one hospital, which is I guess is an added bonus. Also, some students really want to move down to Philly. If you have some time on your hands now, I would take a trip down to Cooper Hospital in Camden and maybe talk to some folks there (im sure admissions can help you set that up).

Let me know if you have any other questions.... and welcome to RWJ! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. Anybody else have opinions on Camden versus New Brunswick?

Everyone always indicates that how well their clinical rotations go is very site- and team-dependent... So what makes a site good? What are the relevant questions I can ask now to learn more about each place?

Unless you are 110% sure you want Camden, do yourself a favor and pick New Brunswick.

Early in second year, there is an opportunity to switch campuses. The only stipulation is that an equal number must switch in each direction. Every year since the Camden campus has opened, there have been more students wanting to go Camden --> NB than those who wanted to go NB --> Camden. This means that everyone who wants to switch from NB --> Camden gets their preference, while some people who want to switch from Camden --> NB get screwed. My class (i.e. the second year class) just went through the campus switch process, and 22 people wanted to come up to NB, and only 15 wanted to go down to Camden. So, 7 people who wanted to be in New Brunswick did not get their request.

Granted, this does not guarantee that this is how it will work for your class, but this is how it has been every year for the past ~20 years, ever since the Camden program became part of RWJMS.

As for me.....I'm in New Brunswick.

Well it seems as though there are no pro-Camden folks out there. I was leaning towards NB, so I guess I'll just go with that and send in my letter today.

Im very suprised at these posts...Camden is the way to go, no questions asked.
1. Our dean is 10000000000x more interested in our success than ANY dean up there, they dont even know your name. When Dean Mehne goes away, he sends the class his cell phone, and number to the hotel hes going to, AND a back up contact on campus if those dont work. Hes 100% available to all his students. I felt like in Piscataway, no one knew you or cared to know you.
2. The patient population at Camden will give you a whole different experience. I see so many rare diseases, or diseases that have gone untreated for so long there because it is a poorer area. When I converse with my friends up north they are suprised at what Ive seen. Also, we are able to do so much more because the patients, unfortunately, are more naive. However, its a nice mix of the suburban patients and urban patients.
3. The faculty are soooooooo much more supportive. They are there to challenge you but also HELP you, in a way that Piscataway never will do. Their approach is sink or swim, where as here it is Ill teach you once, then you go do it...it just sets up a great line of communication and learning environment.
4. We stay in ONE hospital, we get to know the system well. If we want to go to another hospital, we can!
5. Outside or international electives are ENCOURAGED! Dean M. says we should all do something no one has done b4 b4 we graduate, so any crazy elective you have, ull get credit for it. One resident went on the set of ER for a month!
6. You are going to HATE NB by the time youre done 2nd year. 2nd year BLOWS, and you will associate NB with it, and the HORRIBLE bars that are there. Yes, NYC is 30 min away, but you dont have 30 min to travel when your on call every 4th night on medicine. Philly is a great city and living in it is soooooo much better than NB. You always can go to NB, and our call schedule is much better, cus Dean Mehne knows that being on call as much as residents is not necessary and I think worse cus it leaves much less time to study for the shelf, which determines most of ur grade anyway.
7. You always feel like part of the team, like equals, no one makes you fee l like an annoying med student, the hospital staff are well aware of Dean Mehne's vision, and NO one will mess with you , because if you are unhappy with any aspect of your rotation, it will be fixed in DAYS, and he will hold meetings halfway through each rotation to make sure there are no problems.
SO there are MANY more reasons, but Camden is def the better pic. The only reason people shy away from it is because 1. ITS CAMDEN!- but its really not as scary as it sounds, and 2. they think it will affect the match- THE MATCHES ARE EQUALLY GOOD, and any attending from RWJ that you want to work with you can ALWAYS do an away rotation with them. TRUST ME...camden is the way to go, If you just talk to someone from each program, youll see the difference in their voices, NB is just the same monotone bull**** you delt with the first 2 years, Camden is like someone let us free and we are finally able to enjoy life and learning! I say this with EXTREME confidence...choose camden, you wont be dissapointed!

If you ask someone from up north why they picked NB, their reply is: camden sucks, or why would u want to go to camden. They never say ANYTHING good about NB, all they do is put down our program cus its in a crime city, well let me tell you the security down there is sooooo tight thats not an issue, we are treated like royalty. Thats one thing that sold me, no one could give me a reason to stay, but 10000000 reasons to leave. Dean M is so sick of the rules up there that Camden will have its own med school in the next year or so. The only other argument is the program isnt as good, but look at the match results...theres no real reason to stay.

If you ask someone from up north why they picked NB, their reply is: camden sucks, or why would u want to go to camden. They never say ANYTHING good about NB, all they do is put down our program cus its in a crime city, well let me tell you the security down there is sooooo tight thats not an issue, we are treated like royalty. Thats one thing that sold me, no one could give me a reason to stay, but 10000000 reasons to leave. Dean M is so sick of the rules up there that Camden will have its own med school in the next year or so. The only other argument is the program isnt as good, but look at the match results...theres no real reason to stay.

Hi, thanks so much for your replies! I'd really hoped to hear from students at both campuses, so this was extremely helpful.

brunswick is probably a good place to go bowling

I was accepted by RWJ last year, and chose Camden (I ended up going to another school). When I made my decision, I spoke with students at both campuses. I found the Camden students were happy with their decision. They felt more prepared and supported, and they thought their experience was great. The main concern was crime in the surrounding area, but they felt security was good. Some people were a bit concerned that they would be in one hospital. Many of the people I spoke with lived downtown Philly, and said they had a 15-20 min commute.

The people I spoke with from NB campus felt they made the choice because they were afraid of living in Camden. I did not get the sense that they were happy with their choice, but it could just be that that particular group of students weren't having a great experience.

I am sure the administration will give you contact information for people currently at either campus. They will be your best source of information.

I am currently trying to decide which campus to accept... My initial inclination was New Brunswick / Piscataway, but I'm now leaning towards Camdem due to a few convincing posts... Any other reasons to pick either New Brunswick or Camdem???

I am currently trying to decide which campus to accept... My initial inclination was New Brunswick / Piscataway, but I'm now leaning towards Camdem due to a few convincing posts... Any other reasons to pick either New Brunswick or Camdem???

choose camden.

i'm currently in the new brunswick program. on rotations. and lemme tell you, you'll be crazy reuulated at rwj during rotations.

from what i hear from my friends down at camden, they're very happy. you work at one hospital. you get to know everyone well. and most importantly, you feel like you're on a team and you're making a difference.

most ppl at new brunswick do not feel that way. we're shifted between numerous hospitals, never really get to spend sufficient time with one resident or one attending, and thus, it's hard making a good, lasting impression.

if i could do it all over again, i'd be in camden.

gluck!