Aug 8, 2013
Status
Hi,

So someone (respectful) person comes in with a RX prescription, lets say for Zoloft or something that is safe, RX,etc. (not controlled).

Now, if they are also new, would you bother to check the info?. like call up the doctor to see if it correct,etc?

Ackj

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
So it's just a new patient coming to your pharmacy? Don't see why you would have to do that. If it's not an insane dose, or any problem with the rx, no reason to call.

PharmdA07

10+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
Status
If the issue is irrelevant such as address on ID different due to just move into the area, I'd not call if I am too busy with other stuffs.
If the issue is a crazy clinical one like dosing, frequency, allergy, interaction (I usually ask if they are on any other stuffs including OTC/ herb--takes about 1 min), I'd definitely call and ask them to wait.
Now there are cases in which using your best judgement and you think it's uncomfortable, call anyway. Examples I've encountered are Rx with headlines of DDS but for Flexeril and ...even birth control (???), Rx with headline of O.D. for Bystolic , Rx with headline of M.D. for Tri-Pak with 5 refills, a C2 Rx with Amoxicillin 875mg BID written on it. I've encountered numerous cases where people just stole the blank Rx from prescribers' offices and write things on there and bring in to me. I've seen med-part-D people stealing blank Rx's from their doctor's office and write Ensure, Glucerna, Centrum, or even Cereal (yes you read it right: Cereal brands !!!) on them and argue with me that since "it's a prescription from the doctor, the insurance will cover it!!". So just go with your best judgement for these situations.
Happy holidays!

Apr 17, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Welcome to the site. Excellent question. My policy, whether the patient is respectful or impossible, I call and verify each and every prescription. New, refill, faxed, or phoned in, doesn't matter. I call and verify everything. Your welcome.

Last edited:

Jibby321

Ready or Not......
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Welcome to the site. Excellent question. My policy, weather the patient is respectful or impossible, I call and verify each and every prescription. New, refill, faxed, or phoned in, doesn't matter. I call and verify everything. Your welcome.
This is sarcasm right?

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
Welcome to the site. Excellent question. My policy, weather the patient is respectful or impossible, I call and verify each and every prescription. New, refill, faxed, or phoned in, doesn't matter. I call and verify everything. Your welcome.
LOL