SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

RX question

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by popygai, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popygai

popygai PicturePerfect 2+ Year Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Hi!
    Can someone please tell me how to write a prescription for an MRI of the entire vertebral column checking for any lesions?
    Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio. Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2006
    You don't "prescribe" diagnostic studies, you order them

"MRI CTLS spine" ought to do it. You'll need a valid diagnostic code to support medical necessity, however, if you expect the patient's insurance to cover it. "Check for lesions" isn't likely to cut it. You should be able to narrow the study down to a level (cervical, thoracic, etc.) based on symptoms, anyway, unless this is a fishing expedition.

4. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Nowadays we just tell the pt to put his finger into a machine and push the easy button. Then the machine tells us what is wrong in addition to today's lotto numbers.

5. popygai

popygai PicturePerfect 2+ Year Member

Nov 17, 2006
    h iguys,
    sorry to annoy you again. What I need is how to write an RX for an MRI, for a person who has posterior tibial nerve entrapment ( Tarsal Tunnel syndrome) which has nerve ending in L4-S1. I need the MRI to rule out possible spinal lesion????
    PLEASE helpppppppp

6. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Maybe ask someone in clinical rotations. I didn't think that med students were allowed to order diagnostics.

7. Tired

Tired Fading away 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Why would you need a CTLS MRI for tarsal tunnel syndrome? This makes no sense at all.

8. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio. Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Agree. If it's tarsal tunnel syndrome, and you suspect a mass, you might consider an MRI of the foot/ankle, not the spine.

9. Tired

Tired Fading away 7+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Anyone else wondering if this is a patient trying to fake their way into getting an unnecessary test? It's just so bizarre, it's hard to imagine a question like this coming from a med student. A "RX" for an MRI? Anatomically-incorrect imaging procedures? Cross posting here and in the residency forum? Weird stuff.

10. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Carrboro, NC
    There's definitely something wrong. I haven't even started medical school yet, but even I can tell something's not right.

1) Rx for diagnostic test doesn't make sense

2) If I ever have a logistical question about ordering a test I'm pretty sure I'd ask a supervisor (resident or attending), not ask the question on an internet forum where no one has any knowledge of the hospital in which I'm working.

11. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2005
    After some skimming of prior posts, it appears our OP wants to start optometry school next year . . . not sure why a pre-optometrist is trying to get an RX (huh?) for an MRI.

12. njbmd

njbmd Guest Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2001
    Gone Walkabout!
    Cross posted thread, so now closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.