RxP California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

August 30, 2006

I want to extend an invitation to join CPA Division 5, Clinical Psychopharmacology. In addition to its educational goals, the Division's main function will be to raise money for the upcoming battle for prescribing authority (RxP) for California Psychologists. The cost of the Louisiana fight for RxP was $800,000, with only about a third of that money coming from APA. As few as fifty dedicated psychologists in Louisiana raised the balance over 10 years.

California is currently in the throes of a health care crisis. There is now a plethora of evidence that psychologists can be excellent providers of psychological care which includes medication and can ameliorate the crisis in California. The most obvious examples of this are the Department of Defense (DOD) trained prescribers and the newly minted prescribing psychologists in Louisiana and New Mexico. As Dr. John Sexton, a DOD prescribing psychologist said, "The right to prescribe is also the right not to prescribe."

Here in California we know that the California Medical Association (CMA) has an operating budget roughly equivalent to that of the American Psychological Association ($100M). We will need to raise more money than our colleagues did in Louisiana to meet the goal of successful legislation. Your membership in the division will enable CPA to launch prescriptive authority legislation sooner rather than later. This is important as there are now four psychologists in the California Legislature who can help us convince other legislators.

Benefits of membership include entrance into upcoming CE workshops around the state at reduced fees,access to an online newsletter which will be out in the fall with CPA's new website, and voluntary enrollment in the Division 5 listserv.

Membership information is at http://www.calpsychlink.org/membership_info/divisions.htm. Please join. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Sallie Hildebrandt, Ph.D.

Membership Chair and Interim

CPA Board Representative

Division 5

4130 La Jolla Village Dr., Ste 301
La Jolla, CA 92037
Phone: 858-453-1800
FAX: 858-452-3992

Email: [email protected]
www.sallie2006.com

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know if the legislative agenda for RxP in CA hinges on the Walker case?

I think they must mean $80,000, not $800,000. As far as I know, the APA does not give grants exceeding $25,000, and if the APA gave LA a $25,000 grant for RxP then that would reconcile with the web site's posting that the APA gave approximately 1/3 of the $80,000 sum. I highly doubt the APA would give $250,000 to any one state to pass RxP.

I hear Missouri is having a lot of trouble raising money for its RxP legislation. Their goal was $50K (with $10K coming from the APA). So far they have only raised $20K!!! It is so sad that psychologists give so little to advocacy causes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea, but (no offense) Ca. is a much bigger fish than La in this battle, so they may have stepped up. I doubt it though, their money is going to PC issues with no accountability, whos ideas are unfalsifyable...

I have no idea, but (no offense) Ca. is a much bigger fish than La in this battle, so they may have stepped up. I doubt it though, their money is going to PC issues with no accountability, whos ideas are unfalsifyable...

Are you sure? Dr. John Caccavale is quite the crusader. I'm sure he's wrestled together a pot of money to support RxP. Granted, the first step in this strategy is to win the lawsuit in favor of Walker. Then, RxP legislation needs to be introduced as a solution to ameliorate the pitiful standard (or lack thereof) of behavioral healthcare in CA prisons.

LA medical psychologists are supposedly doing very well. Last I heard, they now have hospital privileges, are consulted frequently for psychotropic medication management of complex medical/psychiatric patients, and are seeing more and more patients with serious psychiatric disorders (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder). Most importantly, people are getting the care that they rightfully deserve. 20,000+ scripts written thus far, all without incident. Great job, Louisiana!