S Corp, reasonable salary for an OD for tax purposes

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have a LLC/S corp hybrid to do your taxes, I am wondering if my calculation is sound as a "reasonable salary" for payroll.

For those who don't know, S corp is a pass through entity in which your dividends/bonus are NOT subjected to double taxation..only federal income tax is applied, while your payroll goes through federal income tax, state unemployment tax, and self-employment tax.

The IRS requires the CEO to pay themselves a "reasonable salary", or else $0.00 is subjected to self-employment tax(ie social security/medicare).

My formula for a retail optical (like Lenscrafters/Walmart/Target) that sees 65 pts/week are as follows.
15 minutes/pt (as this is the standard for retail)
55 dollars/hr (standard for a corporation like AB).

65/4= 16.25 hours worked in a week
+3 hours/week for insurance filing/ordering supplies

=19.25 hours/week X 52 weeks/year X 55 dollars/hr = $55,055 as your reasonable salary.

Gross: 65 pts/week X 52weeks X 60 dollars/pt = 200k/year
Expenses= 4000(cheap rents) to 25000(expensive rent).
Dividends after payroll = 119945k/year (assuming rent is the expensive type)

What do you guys think? Will I get audited because the dividend is so high?
An OD working for AB sees about 35pts/day, earning 400 dollars a day. Since my average is only 9pts/day(assuming I open all 7 days), then why should I pay myself 400 dollars a day as well? Just want to see the if the justification is sound if IRS decides to take me to court or audit my business.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have a LLC/S corp hybrid to do your taxes, I am wondering if my calculation is sound as a "reasonable salary" for payroll.

For those who don't know, S corp is a pass through entity in which your dividends/bonus are NOT subjected to double taxation..only federal income tax is applied, while your payroll goes through federal income tax, state unemployment tax, and self-employment tax.

The IRS requires the CEO to pay themselves a "reasonable salary", or else $0.00 is subjected to self-employment tax(ie social security/medicare).

My formula for a retail optical (like Lenscrafters/Walmart/Target) that sees 65 pts/week are as follows.
15 minutes/pt (as this is the standard for retail)
55 dollars/hr (standard for a corporation like AB).

65/4= 16.25 hours worked in a week
+3 hours/week for insurance filing/ordering supplies

=19.25 hours/week X 52 weeks/year X 55 dollars/hr = $55,055 as your reasonable salary.

Gross: 65 pts/week X 52weeks X 60 dollars/pt = 200k/year
Expenses= 4000(cheap rents) to 25000(expensive rent).
Dividends after payroll = 119945k/year (assuming rent is the expensive type)

What do you guys think? Will I get audited because the dividend is so high?
An OD working for AB sees about 35pts/day, earning 400 dollars a day. Since my average is only 9pts/day(assuming I open all 7 days), then why should I pay myself 400 dollars a day as well? Just want to see the if the justification is sound if IRS decides to take me to court or audit my business.

This is not a good question for this forum. It would be like going on studentaccountant.com and asking them if Timoptic is a reasonable choice to treat glaucoma.

You really need the advice of a trusted tax professional because decisions like this need to be made within the context of your overall tax and financial planning picture.

Sorry, just thought there are lot of optometrists on the forum are experienced with the business side of optometry as well.

Sorry, just thought there are lot of optometrists on the forum are experienced with the business side of optometry as well.

That's not really a question about "the business side of optometry."

Trust me when I say this......you need the advice of a trusted tax adviser for that. You should have one anyways. They are worth their weight in gold.