?'s FOR CURRENT CCOM STUDENTS...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by EricOH, Nov 30, 2001.

1. EricOH

EricOH Member

I have a few questions, as do several others, regarding CCOM. First off:

from realruby2000

1. How good and where exactly can students do their rotations? I heard they are mainly in Chicago and olymipia fields. How do CCOM students compare to students from the other 7 MD schools in chicago during rotations?

2. How well does ccom prepare you for the boards?
    ****important****

3. I've heard a lot about the great rep this school has. But i've talked to some students and they havent told me anything spectacular about CCOM. Its a good school, with nice facilities but nobody's really told me the nitty gritty. what are some things that you guys love about ccom and what are some things u think that neeed changing?

Some additional questions:

What, if anything, did you learn about CCOM that you wish you knew before starting?

Do you feel that CCOM provides good preparation for the boards?

Thanks a bunch!!!! You guys are helping us out a ton by giving us insight into our futures!
    :D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1

Resident [Any Field]
    1. As an MS-1, I will defer the rotations answer to more senior students. I know there have been posts about this in the past. I have heard that our students compare favorably. This school has a good reputation, especially with their first two years' traditional curriculum.

2. I would be careful about choosing a school based on board scores. Having said that, MS-4's have told me that they did well on part 1 by studying early. I have heard that at least Neuroanatomy, Pharmacology, and Anatomy are taught especially well here. I don't know about the relative comparison of other courses, and I have not taken the boards yet.

3. Instead of relying on what others think is spectacular about the school, I made a list of what things were important to me in a medical school, and compared my items with each of the 6 osteopathic schools I interviewed with. Things like class size, school reputation, residency placement, the feeling I got about the school and students, whether I felt I could fit in, and how the faculty treated me during the interview, for example. I think the students here are fantastic and extremely supportive. The professors are very approachable, and really want you to learn, unlike my undergraduate experience. Nice facilities were not a priority to me. Alumnus helped me out the most in answering my questions.

Additional answers
    The things I have learned about CCOM that I wish I knew before starting relate to the exact differences between on-campus housing. It would have helped to see the two types of housing when I took the campus tour, so as to make a more informed choice. Things that surprised me since I've been here is the city of Downers Grove. This is a very nice upper-middle-class suburb relative to most other schools where I interviewed.

Hope that helps. Perhaps there are not too many MS-3's and MS-4's on this board. You should call the school and ask the admissions' office or office of clinical education to answer some of your questions about exact board passage rate and where rotations are done if no one else answers them here. Those are appropriate questions for their office, or they can direct you.

4. EricOH

EricOH Member

Hey Dagny,

Thank you very much for your answers and experience! Sounds like you are very happy there. I will call the admissions office and ask for info on boards and contact for an M3/4. Thanks again for the info! Good luck! :)

5. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1

Resident [Any Field]
    If for some reason the admissions office is not able to help you, please let me know and I'll try to get more information or other contacts for you. Good luck.

6. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member

Thanks for the response Dagny.

7. realruby2000

Oh yea i forgot to ask,

could you possibly describe a typical day as a CCOM student? When do classes start and at what time do they usually end? How much free time do you have as a med student? How often do you find yourself studying everyday?

I hope im not sounding kind of nosy, but anything that you would like to share would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

8. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member

Hey EricOH, is CCOM one of your top choices so far?

9. EricOH

EricOH Member

Hey Wasabi,

Nice to hear from you! :) Right now, CCOM is my top choice. If I remember correctly, you are pretty set on going to CCOM? That's great!

Take care.

10. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1

Resident [Any Field]

11. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member

:eek: WOW DAGNY! :eek:

Thanks for your extremely helpful input!

12. realruby2000

Thanks Dagny. You've been a great help

13. EricOH

EricOH Member

Hey Dagny,

Many thanks for all the info! :)

I called the Admissions office, which re-directed me to the Student Services Office. The lady there said that she would tell an M3/M4 to email me. I have not received anything yet, so....I was wondering if you happen to know any M3/M4's email I could ask a few questions to?

Thanks a ton!!!

14. Dagny

Dagny PGY-1

Resident [Any Field]
    EricOH:

I'm glad you called Student Services to get a lead. Unfortunately, I do not have any MS3/MS4's e-mail addresses handy that I could pass along.

If you hear nothing by e-mail from the Student Service contact, I'll either go to Student Services myself, or see if I can recruit one of the MS-4s that attends our OMM classes to e-mail you. They've always been real helpful to us in class, so I'm sure you'll eventually get an answer.

If time is important to you for a deposit deadline or something, let me know.

15. doatc

doatc Senior Member

EricOH,

You can e-mail me directly. Please no broad/open ended questions. Time is precious.

Bill
    M4 CCOM

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. turnster

turnster Junior Member

Where do most CCOM students (off campus) live? Are there any specific places (apartment complexes, specific areas of Chicago, etc.) Is Oak Park too far way to commute from? Or is it a good place to be in the middle of everything (I take it most 3rd and 4th year students live closer to the city for clinicals)? Just a few questions.

Thanks for Replies.

18. doatc

doatc Senior Member

Most off campus students live in Downers Grove and the adjacent suburbs. Here is a good resource: <a href="http://www.relconapartments.com/" target="_blank">http://www.relconapartments.com/</a>

Oak Park isn't too far and you will counter commute in the morning and afternoon since you would be east of Downers Grove.

Clinicals are all over the city and suburbs. A central location is good. A lot of students move to Lincoln Park in their 3rd year, while others stay in the suburbs. As long as you have easy access to the tollways, you will be in good shape.

I would say that the average commute is about an hour each way. Some rotations will be closer and some a little further away.

Hope this helps,

Bill
    M4 CCOM

19. realruby2000

Hi doatc,

I was wondering if you could tell me how good and where exactly can students do their rotations? I heard they are mainly in Chicago and olymipia fields. How do CCOM students compare to students from the other 7 MD schools in chicago during rotations?

20. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member

21. doatc

doatc Senior Member

The link that Wasabi posted is a good source. The hospitals listed on the Clin Ed website are our "core" hospitals. Certain rotations have to be comleted at "core" hospitals.

Elective rotations can be done almost anywhere in chicago. I will drop some names for you:

Univ of Chicago
    Northwestern
    Loyola
    Rush
    Christ Hosp
    Childrens Hosp
    Cook County

The list goes on and on.

As a whole our students are well respected among the other med students. There really is no distinction between our performance and the other students.

Hope this helps,

Bill
    M4 CCOM

22. TP

TP Member

Hi all i'm a MS-III and i'm going to try to answer some of your questions. I haven't looked at this site since before i started at ccom. Wow, how time flies. Anyways, before i answer specific questions let me put in my 2 cents. I'm glad to see that everyone is so excited to start. I was in your boat before. Before i started school i frequented this site often. As a matter of fact, during my first year i discovered who was which screen name. Anyways, enjoy this time before med school because besides the summer between 1st and 2nd year this will be the most care-free time of your life. I wouldn't suggest studying ahead b/c no matter what you do, there's no way you can fully prepare for the onslaught that awaits you. It will be quite a culture shock. In med. school especially at ccom you're going to work your ass off and you will study almost all the time (unless of course you're a genius or have a photographic memory which some of my classmates do). Don't get me wrong, you'll won't live like a monk/ nun but your amount of leisure time will be severely shortened. I know that everyone mentioned the words "passionate", "sacrifice", "prioritize" in their personal statement and i did too. However, you're going to learn what these words really mean b/c you'll be applying them everyday. I don't want to scare anyone but this is the realistic view of it all. The first year is all about adjusting to medical school life. Let's just say that i miss my undergrad days but i wouldn't trade what i'm going through or what i went through for the world. These are exciting times you all are embarking on. OK, i'm off my soap box and on to questions....

"1. How good and where exactly can students do their rotations? I heard they are mainly in Chicago and olymipia fields. How do CCOM students compare to students from the other 7 MD schools in chicago during rotations?"

The quality of the rotation depends on where you go. Some places are excellent while some are mediocre. Some rotations you have a choice while some are assigned to you. If a rotation is popular then there is a lottery. You can also trade/ swap with classmates. Several of the rotation sites we rotate with some of the other med. schools (especially UIC and Chi. Med) and we fare well or very well. We have a very good reputation in chicago. Our students definitely REPRESENT!!! I think we're competitive. Rotation sites can be in chicago, the suburbs of chicago, or as far as indiana. The average travel time is 1 hour each way. But don't worry about morning traffic b/c most of the time you'll be out on the road before morning rush hour. Nice huh!!

"2. How well does ccom prepare you for the boards?
    ****important****"

The boards are a bitch. The school does a decent job but it's really up to the individual. you have to put in the time and study for it. We had kaplan come to our school to teach a review course ($500) which was alright (didn't really help me but that's just me). The school only gave us 2 weeks off thought which kinda bites. All in all, the pass rate for my class was like around 96-98% I don't know the exact number but only a couple of people failed.

"3. I've heard a lot about the great rep this school has. But i've talked to some students and they havent told me anything spectacular about CCOM. Its a good school, with nice facilities but nobody's really told me the nitty gritty. what are some things that you guys love about ccom and what are some things u think that neeed changing?"

I think our school provides us with a good foundation and makes us competitive. All a school can do is guide you and provide you with the information and it's up to you to learn it and assimilate it. i believe that's what ccom did. The facilities weren't finished till this fall so i didn't get to use them (i left for rotations) but they seem really awesome. What was difficult was the test schedules. They definitely made my life suck X 10. CCOM is in a 10 week quarter which means each quarter goes by quick and dirty. The first couple of weeks is easy but after that it gets crazy. It's almost impossible to be ahead. It's pretty amazing to be caught up. For the majority of us, we were always trying to catch up but that's life and we learned to deal with it. It's definitely no Club Med.

I hope i shed some light on your questions and concerns. I tried to give a realistic view rather give you guys fluff. I hope my comments don't deter anyone from CCOM. Everybody has qualms with their school. CCOM is a great school and you'll get a good education here. Even though i might sound bitter, i love what i do.