Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

S.O.S. Secondaries help: a few questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by meow+or_never, Aug 5, 2015.

1. meow+or_never

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I thought I was rolling along with writing my secondaries but all of a sudden I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I thought that expanding upon some of the ideas I could only briefly touch upon in my PS was a good idea but when I reread the essays they sound so similar to the original PS. Anybody have any ideas/could share what they did to come up with other talking points?

Also, is it generally okay to flat out say, "I think my values align with ______'s mission/ideals of _____ because this this and this etc." or should you try to make school-specific references more subtle?

Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nwts

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It is totally fine to do this. A secondary is inherently school-specific, so it is completely acceptable and even beneficial to be very explicit with school-specific comments. If you're talking about questions such as: "What are your reasons for applying to XYZ School of Medicine?" then it would actually be a negative to try to be really subtle with school-specific references. For questions like these, you want to come right out and say that you like their school for reasons that you explain in your essay.

meow+or_never likes this.
  4. meow+or_never

I haven't gotten an outright question like that yet. A lot of schools seem to put a mission statement at the beginning of an essay page and then ask questions that don't necessarily relate to it. Kind of a "do with it what you will" type thing. But I think I'm definitely going to make sure to clearly reference them now.

5. nwts

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Could you provide a specific example of a question that you're thinking of?

6. meow+or_never

So this is kind of lengthy but on Page 1 of the essays section on UF's app starts off with

"At the core of our profession are attributes sometimes called the three C’s; Competence (clinical excellence), Caring (a genuine desire to help others or “other centeredness”) and Character (personal integrity and honesty). In order to grow in these areas, the best practitioners are able to reflect upon who they are as individuals (self-assessment) and allow these insights to shape how they develop as physicians. The relationships we develop with patients and colleagues are among the most rewarding aspects of being a physician and provide the theatre in which the 3 C’s are both learned and practiced. We therefore have 2 short prompts designed to help you explore these important topics. The first, below, deals with self-assessment (no essay required) and the second (Part 3 of the secondary) deals with the experiences of 2 UF medical students in caring for patients who had an impact on them as young doctors."

The first essay asks you to read two essays written by current med students and "describe the skills of the author that you notice and think are helpful, then describe how one or both of these stories relate to the kind of physician that you want to be."

The second essay asks you to give an example involving three types of integrity: personal, professional, & intellectual.

So I guess my question is, for example, should I be mentioning the "3 C's" in both responses? Sorry this was so long.

7. nwts

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You probably should talk about it in the first essay. In the second, you can, but you don't have to.

meow+or_never likes this.