s UMKC - 6 of 9 PGY1 spots filled by grads from the same school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking over this years match results and it appears that KUmed matched 6 students into EM at UMKC. This strikes me as fairly remarkable because UMKC only has 9 PGY1 spots!

Is this just a fluke of the match? Have any of you heard of other EM programs loading so heavily from one school?

ps: please ignore the "s" at the beginning of this thread title. it's just one of my countless typos.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the program. My hometown program has a tendency to only take a couple of students each year from our school, they prefer to see more diversity in the incoming residents (in terms of where you trained for med school). Whereas other programs tend to prefer more of their own students. On one of my interviews, one of the faculty actually told us that he preferred to have their own students (considering I had traveled quite far to interview there, I was not exactly pleased with the statement, but he was honest.)

I was looking over this years match results and it appears that KUmed matched 6 students into EM at UMKC. This strikes me as fairly remarkable because UMKC only has 9 PGY1 spots!

Is this just a fluke of the match? Have any of you heard of other EM programs loading so heavily from one school?

ps: please ignore the "s" at the beginning of this thread title. it's just one of my countless typos.
Haven't heard of that in EM, but know of a FP program (one of three in the city) that filled all its 8 or 9 spots with people from their local school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard of that in EM, but know of a FP program (one of three in the city) that filled all its 8 or 9 spots with people from their local school.

Must be a good FP program to fill 9 spots!

I only applied throught he D.O. match, so that's all I know about. I know of one program specifically that only wanted it's own grads, and a classmate of mine who interviewed there a week before I did was told that she was basically wasting her time there. When I went, all the interviewees were from schools other than that one, and someone asked the resident if they keep it mainly in house or diversify, and we were told "about half and half" Every single resident we met that day was from that school, and I spoke to grads from that school doing EM elsewhere, and they told me half and half was bull, and they pretty much know who they are taking from day 1 of 3rd year. They didn't fill this year, and I was very, very happy about that, since they wasted my time and money on that intverview.

On the other hand, I interviewed at a place that prided itself on diversity, and said "You won't see much inbreeding here, unlike some other programs in this area" which i think was a shot at the place that he trained at.

I think it is very program dependent, and when you see alot of in-house matches, it very well could just be that this is the hospital where they spent most of their time, and the program is much more familiar with them and their body of work than someone they meet for 1 day.

Must be a good FP program to fill 9 spots!

I only applied throught he D.O. match, so that's all I know about....I think it is very program dependent, and when you see alot of in-house matches, it very well could just be that this is the hospital where they spent most of their time, and the program is much more familiar with them and their body of work than someone they meet for 1 day.
I think taking everyone from the local school was a new tactic after not filling the last few years.

I, too, mostly just interviewed at DO places, and agree that it's interesting to see and hear what people say about different programs.

You are aware those are 2 different med schools right? Therefore, they didn't match all those spots to their own students, but to students from the same town who likely wanted to stay. And, sorry to offend some, but it's not a highly desired town/state for many people to live. Yes, I grew up in Kansas, now live in Missouri, and still the question comes up to anyone from not around here "What made you think of even coming to Kansas/Missouri?"

Not saying this as this is what happened, but highly possible.

You are aware those are 2 different med schools right? Therefore, they didn't match all those spots to their own students, but to students from the same town who likely wanted to stay. And, sorry to offend some, but it's not a highly desired town/state for many people to live. Yes, I grew up in Kansas, now live in Missouri, and still the question comes up to anyone from not around here "What made you think of even coming to Kansas/Missouri?"

Not saying this as this is what happened, but highly possible.

i am quite aware that these are two different schools, thought it does appear that there may be some confusion among others about that fact. that's understandable, though... there are three med schools in KC: KUMC (university of kansas school of medicine), UMKC (university of missouri - kansas city) and KCUMB (kansas city university of medicine and biosciences).

to clarify, 6 university of kansas school of medicine students matched into the EM program at the university of missouri - kansas city (which has only 9 PGY1 spots).

there is no EM program at the university of kansas (unfortunately)

Given that the residency is in Kansas, I imagine it's hard to recruit residents from out-of-state medical schools. This by necessity means that they highly rank people from the area.

It's in Missouri, GV. Kansas City.

That said, it is a challenge to get non-midwest folks to think about coming to the midwest.

Dr. Mom, I've lived in NYC for more than 1/2 of my life and it would be very hard to leave the big city for the midwest or any other place for residency training. Still, if I would be offered an EM spot in KC or any other place in the country, I'd take in a second with no hesitation. History and my experience showed me that many programs in the midwest aren't very receptive to FMGs applying for EM. I'm sure that I'm not the only FMG that would love a spot in KC.

It's in Missouri, GV. Kansas City.

That said, it is a challenge to get non-midwest folks to think about coming to the midwest.

Same difference. Both not considered "desirable" places to live, hence difficulty attracting people.

We have the same problem down in South Texas, and end up ranking the local students more highly in order to make sure we fill.

The year I matched at Nebraska, 5 of the 6 residents were from UNMC. I was the only "out of towner." It happens. Every year since then, the UNMC matches have decreased. As has been stated previously, I think part of the reason this happens is the combination of lack of interest in living in the midwest on the bulk of the candidate population and the local school candidates all wanting to stay and eventually practice in their home community. The program has no control where it's applicants rank them. The program may have the local candidates spaced out and low on their match list. Only the PD would know how many candidates they blew through before arriving at their final match list. In regards to my program, I do think part of it was the fluke of the match and the fact that we were a new program going to start it's second year.

When I interviewed there it had a VERY local feel. I felt out of place because I didn't know jack about Jayhawk basketball/football. Kinda felt ignored the enitre time I was there. My coapplicants and the residents there at the time spoke mostly about how they wanted to go back to Nebraska/Iowa/Kansas after graduation. Bummed, because my wife loved her program there and my best bud from medical school is doing residency there (in a different program) as well.

When I interviewed there it had a VERY local feel. I felt out of place because I didn't know jack about Jayhawk basketball/football. Kinda felt ignored the enitre time I was there. My coapplicants and the residents there at the time spoke mostly about how they wanted to go back to Nebraska/Iowa/Kansas after graduation. Bummed, because my wife loved her program there and my best bud from medical school is doing residency there (in a different program) as well.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm from there and I still don't know jack about Jayhawks unless my family talks to me about them.

Orlando seemed to take a lot of USF students in this year's match.

another example is jefferson med and christiana em... it's been a while but I seem to remember there were seven.