s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtmb

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
s

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, my current and previous experience as a general whole with college has been positive. However, my first couple years out of high school I withdrew from almost every class. These classes were at community colleges. To be honest, high school was hard for me (in a lot of different ways) and much of it carried over to college. It wasn't so much of a motivational issue as it was a depressive issue, and it resulted in my lack of application with attempting college. It has been several years since then and I have finished a program in Respiratory Therapy at a community college with all A's, as well as transferred to a University. My experiences with my program have led me to gain more confidence in myself, and that accomplishing what I thought would be impossible for me could be a reality. So I have been pursuing medical school. I have an overwhelming desire to help people, and that has been evident through my current job now.
My current GPA is 3.80 at my university, and ended being 3.82 at my community college (where I obtained my AAS).

That is a very very brief overview of my experiences, but my question is: will these withdrawals play a significant role in my primary application? I believe I will be able to explain them in greater detail and from the bottom of my heart, because I believe they will come up in interviews. However, is there even a chance I could get an interview? These withdrawals were around 7 years ago. I have since then worked 8,500+ clinical hours, I'm working on volunteer hours, and trying to find a research position in conjunction with working full time. I will also be starting a tutoring position in Chemistry this August.

I appreciate any feedback. :)
You will be obliged to submit an original transcript from every college you attended. What is your GPA and BCPM GPA if you include the grades from all your schools (since you said you did not withdraw from all your earliest college coursework)?

That said, assuming decent overall GPAs as calculated by AMCAS, it is highly unlikely that long-ago withdrawals with proven academic excellence since that time, with a good explanation if asked, will negatively impact your application cycle to med schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.