SABA applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pioneer research

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any advice about SABA? The website looks fine and their residency placements look strong. Any thoughts about this school?

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from Saba and am in the match this year, hoping for radiology with back-up plans of internal medicine. What specific questions do you have?

Thanks, dbiddy. I am interested in the basics at this point...quality of basic science education, clinical rotations, living accomodations, etc. I am currently looking seriously at SABA, Ross and St. George's and I cannot get a feel for the better program. They all seem solid.

Basic Sciences: I think that regardless of where you go in the caribbean, basic sciences are not going to be as good as in the US. Having said that, however, I'd say that St.George's would probably have the best basic sciences. The main thing with basic sciences is that during this time you have to master the material that will be on the USMLE step one. No matter where you go (caribbean or US) how well you learn this material will be determined primarily by how hard you study outside the classroom. Many people from each of these schools do well on the Step one. St.Georges students probably do the best because they attract the highest caliber of students.

Clinical Rotations: I think that all three of them are equal as far as this is concerned. All of them use community residency programs as their teaching sites. All of them will give you ACGME approved sites (green book) in the US. I think that Ross and St.Georges send some of their people to the UK for some of their clinicals, but I don't think that would be all that bad a thing. It would be an excuse to travel to europe as far as I'm concerned. Saba does not send anyone outside the US.

Accommodations: I have never been to Grenada or Dominica. I have heard that Dominica sucks, but have not really heard much about Greneda. Saba is a pretty little island with very friendly people, but there is almost nothing to do there. No beaches, no movie theatres, no nightclubs, no good restaruants.........NOTHING. I was so ready to get out of there by the time I was done. The only good thing is that your not there all that long.

Cost: Saba is cheap (~5,000 per semester). Ross is expensive and St.George's is very expensive (three times as much as saba)!

Other Stuff: Ross and St.George's grads can do residencies in California and New York. THis is big because many of the New York residency programs are "IMG friendly". Also, St.George's has a good reputation and will leave you with more options as far as residencies are concerned. Finally, I've heard that Ross basic science students are very cut-throat, a lot of them fail out and people are very stressed out there and are always looking over their shoulders.

My advice: If you get into St.George's and can afford their tution (or qualify for loans)....GO THERE!!!!!!!! If you don't get into St.George's and you want to practice in Cali or New York, and you feel confident that you will excel in med school.........Go to Ross. If you can't afford to go to St.George's or ROss and/or don't care about Cali or New York OR if you want a bit of a mellower experience I'd say go to Saba.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably go to Ross. When I applied to Saba, they said that by the time I would graduate they'd be california approved..........and this has never happened.

I think that about answers your questions..........if you have any more fire away.