Saba....Not worried!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phar

The Pacifist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My roomate got accepted into saba. His gpa is above 3.0 and has excellent grades in the sciences. He initially wanted to wait a year and apply to U.S. schools but decided to start medical school in september at Saba. So, saba is a good school. Anyway, who cares? As long as you get your MD degree and come back to practice here, you are in excellent shape.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Phar, you've reduced a topic of great complexity and source of anxiety for many to a flippant and inane comment, and to who's benefit?
Perhaps you haven't been tuned into the various threads on this topic, from the advice of Cuts on his recent thread to all the other students in the Caribbean, Ireland, Australia, the only conclusion you can draw is that it is a HARD road, which you've got to be committed to 100%, and with no guarantees.
But what do I know, unlike you I didn't go to Harvard.

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
Congrats Phar, you've reduced a topic of great complexity and source of anxiety for many to a flippant and inane comment, and to who's benefit?
Perhaps you haven't been tuned into the various threads on this topic, from the advice of Cuts on his recent thread to all the other students in the Caribbean, Ireland, Australia, the only conclusion you can draw is that it is a HARD road, which you've got to be committed to 100%, and with no guarantees.
But what do I know, unlike you I didn't go to Harvard.

To be frankly honest, i really don't a heck alot about international medical schools. Except the things i read from here.

Every medical school, you have to be 100% committed or they will kick you out.

MD = MD. The rest that come along are simply added features. Absolutely, the more "features" the better. The main obstacle is to get the MD degree and residency. Who cares about the rest unless you are a close-minded person. For example, i went to harvard which means i should go to some ivy league medical school. However, i am perfectly happy going to upstate. An MD is an MD. I bet an MD from Saba or some no-name medical school can become the dean of harvard medical school as it has to do with brains and hardwork. That is my philosophy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by phar

Every medical school, you have to be 100% committed or they will kick you out.

Yeah, but at most med schools, you don't have to worry about not being able to drink the water, having to check there are no 12inch crabs sitting in your toilet, having to avoid the crocodiles and alligators, worrying about malaria or the side effects from antimalarials, dengue fever, having to study by candle light the night before finals, etc, etc, etc.

Then, when you get back home, having secretaries be rude to you when you call to find out if they will allow an fmg to do a rotations at their presitigious snobby university. Wasting your money on applying to residency programs that will not even consider looking at an application from an FMG (but don't include that in the web site info). Or, not even being able to be licensened in any state you want to practice in!

Yeah, Havard medical students have it rough.

FMGs can succeed, but foreign medical school certainly is not the ideal way to start.

Maybe I am thinking more ideally, but what does it matter as long as you become a physician? If you want a career that will make you rich, then there are many other options for highly accomplished medical school applicants.

I hope that most people are not too concerned with 2-5 years of imperfect living conditions as long as you get a quality education. Also, although being and IMG creates some inherent obstacles, it is the physician behind the degree that is important (not the other way around). If people are small-minded enough to preemptively reject a physician just because they graduated from a less-than-ideal (but accredited) medical school, then they are not the type of people that one should want to be working with.