Saba University School of Medicine 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergrad2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
N

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do they not curve the class' passing score? B/c if they don't they'd be passing like 10% of their class which would cause troubles with their fafsa funding. Yeah SABA has fallen off hard; I dropped it from consideration rather quickly when I was picking a schoo. Those short answers sound like hot garbage too.

Do they not curve the class' passing score? B/c if they don't they'd be passing like 10% of their class which would cause troubles with their fafsa funding. Yeah SABA has fallen off hard; I dropped it from consideration rather quickly when I was picking a schoo. Those short answers sound like hot garbage too.
They did not. Nope.. one would think :arghh:

Members don't see this ad :)
They did not. Nope.. one would think :arghh:
It's unfortunate but it's the risk we take coming to the caribbean. My exams are difficult; most of the time you can narrow it down to two answer choices but then you have to know it due to have similar the two remaining answers are. SAQ makes deductive reasoning impossible and the fact that there's no curve is even worse.

Honestly it depends on what your current grades are. If you're borderline, really try to pass this term and transfer to one of the big 3, even if you have to redo 1st semester. If your grades are in the gutter though it might be time to reevaluate things. Those tests sound hard but if you're not at least middle of the pack in your class you'll still likely struggle/not progress going to another carib.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah!- thank you for your post, I had just submitted an application to that school. Had anyone attended Saint-James or Windsor? what avise can you give in general including clinical and residency match? Thank you

Ah!- thank you for your post, I had just submitted an application to that school. Had anyone attended Saint-James or Windsor? what avise can you give in general including clinical and residency match? Thank you

Hey fagusa. What's your stats?

Dude, stop trying to go to these schools, they make the big 3 look like Harvard. Just stick to SGU/Ross,/AUC.

Windsor is unaccredited by CAAM-HP and St James is all but guaranteed to lose it's accreditation at the next follow-up visit once COVID restrictions are lifted. W/o the accreditation you won't even be allowed to sit for the USMLE with the changing requirements starting 2024.

edit: I don't recommend Carib in general even though I'm a Carib student but even if you choose to go this route, there's absolutely no reason to pick anything other than those 3.

Great advice! I may then apply to AUC- I am just not up to these huge classes classes and uncaring environment at SGU and Ross based on what I have heard so far. Or if not getting a spot in the US this cycle, I may do a post-bacc.

thank you so much!

Hey fagusa. What's your stats?
it is about 3.42 for science. I am scheduled to take the MCAT on September. I have Physics II and Organic chem II left- will take them this fall.

I am just not up to these huge classes classes

Class sizes don't mean anything when it's all available to view online. Even pre-COVID I went to class the first 2 days of the semester and that was it lol.

it is about 3.42 for science. I am scheduled to take the MCAT on September. I have Physics II and Organic chem II left- will take them this fall.

Dude no offense but there's absolutely zero reason for you to be on the carib forum before an MCAT score. Your GPA doesn't exclude USMD and is competitive for DO. Focus on scoring a 505+ on the MCAT and forget about the Caribbean.

These schools seem to be very expensive compared to US school

@fagusa1110 Try to avoid the caribs. Spend substantial time studying for the MCAT, hit 500s on practice tests before you go.

If you get 498+, you can apply to Australian medical schools. From Aussie schools, you can choose to stay in Australia or return to the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
@fagusa1110 Try to avoid the caribs. Spend substantial time studying for the MCAT, hit 500s on practice tests before you go.

If you get 498+, you can apply to Australian medical schools. From Aussie schools, you can choose to stay in Australia or return to the states.
I would have never thought of Australia, but thank you for the suggestion...

to be totally honest, there's really no point in going to either of those schools and I'm not sure they've even accredited. Why not shoot for the big 3 like Ross, SGU, or AUC? You have a MUCH better shot at matching and securing a residency going to one of the big 3. Please save yourself from going to a very lower tier carib school and if you choose Caribbean, go to the best ones. You'll lose a lot of time and money by taking a loaded gamble on a school like SJU or Windsor.

You can't apply to multiple states for residency, with NY being one of them. This is a big deal. NY is IMG haven. In other words, bad idea.

Hello all,
I just wanted to post about Saba to let new students be more aware of the school.

They just switched their exams from a 60-question block exam to one with 13 multiple choice and 15 short-answer questions (SAQs). These SAQs are not a joking matter. Many students are failing. The highest score on the first block exam was 87%. The exams are bound to get harder (took Block II yesterday, and it was hell). There is no rounding, so no one shall get an A, but maybe you'll get a B if you study 23 hours a day or if you took these classes before.

The questions can be nit-picky and may have subjective answers. Questions are similar to this unsolved question: "Which came first? The chicken or the egg?" However, worse than that, questions are grouped together, so 1 SAQ can contain 5-6 different questions/answers.

These SAQs do not prepare you to USMLE-style questions. This matter has been brought up to the Deans, and it has not went anywhere. It seems like they do what they want to do, despite student government's consolidated support from all semester groups.

I guess they want everyone to fail, so they can take their classes again the following semester and pay more money?

We shall see. Ask me questions if you have any. I'm free since i'm on the verge of dropping out of this school.
Hello; Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Who did you choose SABA if don't mind me asking?
Submit application on weekend Saturday. Received an email for phone interview Wednesday. Is this normal, and what to expect during phone interview? Thanks

Great advice! I may then apply to AUC- I am just not up to these huge classes classes and uncaring environment at SGU and Ross based on what I have heard so far. Or if not getting a spot in the US this cycle, I may do a post-bacc.

thank you so much!
***************AUA surpassing the so-called Big three. Give them a look*****************

Last edited:
  • Dislike
***************AUA surpassing the so-called Big three. Give them a look*****************

@lalab, Thank you. I actually interviewed with AUA last week. I so much like their program and what they have to offer. I also have an interview with AUC next week. I have not fully made my mind yet on which one to go with if both give me an offer because I like both programs. Any advice is welcomed.

@lalab, Thank you. I actually interviewed with AUA last week. I so much like their program and what they have to offer. I also have an interview with AUC next week. I have not fully made my mind yet on which one to go with if both give me an offer because I like both programs. Any advice is welcomed.

Have you tried MUA and SABA?. Of course MUA is the child of SABA, different location. I interviewed at both. Due to COVID tho many are virtual, with option to go to Island or stay home.

Hello; Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Who did you choose SABA if don't mind me asking?
Submit application on weekend Saturday. Received an email for phone interview Wednesday. Is this normal, and what to expect during phone interview? Thanks
Actually spoke to current student as of yesterday 2020..the SAQ testing is no longer part of the curriculum . Research is the same. you're welcome!

Just curious - what does a NVAO accreditation mean for Saba? Saba graduates may take Dutch boards and practice in NL? That's pretty cool

Have you tried MUA and SABA?. Of course MUA is the child of SABA, different location. I interviewed at both. Due to COVID tho many are virtual, with option to go to Island or stay home.

I looked into both. However, I looked into AUC and AUA and their programs are very impressive, so I applied to both and interviewed with both few days ago- now waiting for a decision.

Just curious - what does a NVAO accreditation mean for Saba? Saba graduates may take Dutch boards and practice in NL? That's pretty cool

I am pretty sure you can practice not only in NL but in Europe in general. That is indeed cool.

How long did it take to hear from Saba after the phone interview?

Applied on Weekend. Wanted interview that Tuesday. Got accepted 1-2weeks after interview.

My acceptance probably was earlier than 1 week. SABA didn't call nor email. Acceptance was announced via portal where I applied. No idea to check there after 2 weeks went by.

My acceptance probably was earlier than 1 week. SABA didn't call nor email. Acceptance was announced via portal where I applied. No idea to check there after 2 weeks went by.

Same here, I found out because I checked the portal at least once a week. And then got a follow up call the week following the interview with the guy I did the interview with. So, will you be joining the January 2021 class?

Yes Ja
Same here, I found out because I checked the portal at least once a week. And then got a follow up call the week following the interview with the guy I did the interview with. So, will you be joining the January 2021 class?
Yes Jan. 21 class