Sacrifice, blah blah blah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TOMFighter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1, M2 seem like the biggest sacrifice to me with cramming all the basic sciences into a couple years followed by a huge board exam.

But M3/M4 seem very pleasant to me...

And residency is even better
I looked at a sample schedule for IM: be there at 7, get off at 5 or 6.....

That's really not that bad. You might be on call a few nights, but, not really....

compare that to the 120hr/week of the past.

Also, if you join a specialty group, you don't have any of the headache after residency. They've already worked out all the inefficiencies to where you can alternate days on call, etc, even have huge long paid vacations.

I don't know what everyone is whining about.

Members don't see this ad.

M1, M2 seem like the biggest sacrifice to me with cramming all the basic sciences into a couple years followed by a huge board exam.

That's really not that bad. You might be on call a few nights, but, not really....

Also, if you join a specialty group, you don't have any of the headache after residency. They've already worked out all the inefficiencies to where you can alternate days on call, etc, even have huge long paid vacations.

If you work for a practice, they are going to work you hard for a bunch of years at the beginning. If you are contemplating a 7-5 M-F week, I think you are underestimating things, or looking at the schedules of folks quite a few more years senior than you will be when you start. Plan on some late nights, and quite a few working weekends. Someday you will get to the schedule you indicate (if medicine still allows for that at that point in time), but expect it to be an awful lot of years from now.

That must be the one outpatient month every year. Talk to residents and find out their actual schedules.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ha ha. Bwaahaaa. Har har. Oh man.

Look, even an 80-hour work week is twice the hours of what is considered normal and in residency you can and will be worked like this for your intern year and other years depending on specialty and program (or more). With no overtime pay, by the way, whether you work sixty or a hundred hours.

An eighty-hour work week can mean a lot of things: Q4 call until the cows come home. Q2 call (24 on, 24 off which is a killer). 120 hours one week, 40 the next. It is not easy and you have no clue what you are talking about.

The only thing you said that is correct is that M4 seems pleasant. Otherwise there are few who would agree with you. Post this in the general residency forum and see the laughs you get. 80 hours a week is better than 120, but it still doesn't make it easy.

So you looked at a sample schedule and suddenly you are an expert? Hey I looked at a sample of doctor's pay in Canada and now I am an expert on socialized medicine...oh no wait, that was you again in another thread.

m1 and m2 year are cake, except for the step.

^ :laugh:

No. Once you get past M1/M2, you will realize how not true this is.

To give some support to the thread third year while maybe not less work has much more bearable work....I'm stuck in the pre-clinical years now but I miss the days when I was in the hospital 13-14 hours a day because I actually liked what I was doing. It wasn't less work but it was a hell of a lot more fun and in that regard I agree with the OP