sad about the end of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chislerMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished my last shift of residency. For 3 years I was looking forward to this. Now that it's here I don't really feel happy about it. If anything I feel a little sad. Anyone else feel like this when they graduated. I am thinking it might be the looming stress of practicing on my own in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Just finished my last shift of residency. For 3 years I was looking forward to this. Now that it's here I don't really feel happy about it. If anything I feel a little sad. Anyone else feel like this when they graduated. I am thinking it might be the looming stress of practicing on my own in a few weeks.

Amen. Finished today, and it is bittersweet. Shed a few tears leaving the place, which surprised me. I think I'll miss the people l work with the most, not so much the hours, pay, or actually being a resident.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are nuts. I ran in the streets naked dancing and singing.

Reactions: 4 users
Currently on my last shift tonight, I feel the same way!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Leaving residency was sad...

Until I started my attending job and realized it was awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
I felt the same way.

Don't worry. Better things await. Just keep in touch with the people who made you feel that way on your last day.

I'mma take an alternate tack to all y'all. As Jim McMahon said about BYU, I said the best view of Duke was in the rear view mirror. Great place to be FROM, but horrible place to be AT. As was said about my undergraduate military school, "wouldn't give it up for a million dollars, wouldn't do it again for 10 million".

I shed no tears on departure. Exactly ZERO ****s were given.

Reactions: 6 users
Looking at how quickly my hourly $/hr changed in one week time, I was not sad. I do admire your feelings for this situation. If it is about the camaraderie, you can always go into academics to relive that experience yearly.

you guys are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

You are: free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty that you are free at last!

I will say that when I finally became an attending, I realized the running list I had with my wife might not be realistic. "When I'm an attending, we're gonna buy XYZ...". It became a huge list.

Actually come to think of it I've fulfilled most of it, haha.

If you're sad at the end of residency, Congrats! You went to a good residency, with good people, and did it right.

I feel bad for the people who didn't enjoy residency. -- Of course acknowledging everyone's painful times during residency that we all suffered through.

Remember, life is a Journey. While it's true there's a need to plan for the future -- Don't forget to live in the present.

Reactions: 4 users
If you're sad at the end of residency, Congrats! You went to a good residency, with good people, and did it right.

I feel bad for the people who didn't enjoy residency. -- Of course acknowledging everyone's painful times during residency that we all suffered through.

Remember, life is a Journey. While it's true there's a need to plan for the future -- Don't forget to live in the present.

I feel ya. And you speak wise words. In my case, it wasn't my program. My program was great. It was the fact that I chose the wrong profession.

So yeah, I'm being a Negative Nellie because I'm a teensy-weensy bit bitter at myself. (Kind of like how fat kids in elementary school pick on others because they feel bad about themselves.) Doing a residency if you don't like your profession is..... really, really tough. Soul-sucking I'd say.

But yeah, I look back and thank God I survived the behemoth that was residency and now I'm off to better things... And I am grateful that EM is such a field that I can easily survive by working lesser hours per week than people in other fields. This allows me to work towards another career, one in which I find fulfillment...

To conclude: Congrats to those who finished their programs and enjoy what they do! I'm envious! Hats off to you!

In before hour restrictions, remember 120 hr wks, remember dirty county hospital, remember early mornings, remember parking so early that there was barely a care in the parking lot in one of the busiest hospital in america.

Good memories, good learning experience but I did not shed any tears never having to do this again.

I am very happy I finished residency. I am also one of those that didn't really choose the right profession, probably shoulda chose something else but too late, I'm an EM doc now. At least I finished a residency, feels like it opens a lot more doors then dropping out

I am very happy I finished residency. I am also one of those that didn't really choose the right profession, probably shoulda chose something else but too late, I'm an EM doc now. At least I finished a residency, feels like it opens a lot more doors then dropping out

Surprised there are so many of us. I never really talked about it in real life, so good to know that there are others out there! We should start a support group, lol.

Yeah I really missed my SICU month with 36 hour overnight call... NOT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk