Sad Nontraditional Applicant :( Am I allowed to even apply this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pipersnap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a degree in the humanities. I am a postbacc and am currently finishing up the gen chem series in the spring.

Can I still apply this year in June or do I have to wait til i'm done with the ochem series in 2013?

I am applying to schools that do NOT require PCAT, so please consider that.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools still will allow you to apply as long as you'll be finished with all of the pre-reqs by Spring of the year you're applying (ie if you're applying for Fall 2013 be done with them by Spring 2013)

You should definitely apply. I am a post bacc too and when I applied, I did not have any introductory biology (or labs) or organic labs (I had taken organic chemistry before, just not the labs) or anatomy labs. I am taking all of them right now, and am accepted to schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a degree in the humanities. I am a postbacc and am currently finishing up the gen chem series in the spring.

Can I still apply this year in June or do I have to wait til i'm done with the ochem series in 2013?

I am applying to schools that do NOT require PCAT, so please consider that.

There's no reason for you to be sad! Just volunteer or work in a pharmacy and apply this year. Btw, if you can do well on tests, it helps to take the PCAT and apply to schools that require it.

Dont take the PCAT if you think you'll get destroyed on it. Take some practice tests and see how you do, and you are aiming for 75%+ composite with emphasis on bio and chem.

If you'll do well on it, its beneficial to take the PCAT.

You can apply with half of your prereq's missing, but you'll be required to finish them by the start of that semester you are applying for. If you are just finishing up Gen Chem 2 right now, you'll have it finished by 2013 and be ready to go.

Yes apply June 2012 for 2013 matriculation. It is expected you would have a year's worth of classes left. As long as you finish before matriculation you're fine. The only tiny caveat is if the school requires certain classes before application, but that should be on the cop website & is a minority (I think I remember 1 school specifying I looked at).

You probably already know this but if you have your heart set on all non-PCAT schools, there is zero reason to take the test. If you might possibly want to apply to PCAT schools, it wouldn't hurt to study & take it in July & see how you do. Being a non-trad you probably have a good personal reason for choosing the schools you apply to. Just for posterity ;) I will say that I recommend applying to at least a couple schools (putting all your eggs in one basket isn't something i'd suggest) & that the PCAT is one way to expand your options. All of this preceeding paragraph is unsolicited advice, so use what you think is helpful & disregard the rest. :)

Best of luck!!

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk