SAEM vs. ACEP vs. AAEM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peter Parker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious about the difference among these groups? Are they complementary or do they overlap?

I also noticed some docs putting the letters 'FACEP' and others 'FAAEM' after their names. Does this imply there are two different boards?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also wondering which of these groups is the best to join. Is it advisable to join them all? Also, is it worthwhile to join the interest groups (at an additional cost)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I paid the student fee for ACEP which also includes EMRA, plus I get the Annals of EM. Back to studying for step II and working on my personal statement.

After looking into this a bit more, I think AAEM is an easy "first step" to join for a few reasons ... http://www.aaemrsa.org/membership/student_benefits.php

1. It's free for the 1st year ($50 afterward).

2. You get free online and Palm access to Rules of the Road for Medical Students -- a 400+ page guide/bible of sorts for students wanting to match in EM.

3. If you like what you see, then you can pay for the next year. It's pay for performance!

Obviously, I have a biased perspective, but EMRA offers the best benefits for medical students hands down. Allow me to list a few:

1. Active Medical Student Governing Council who is always looking to bring more resources and benefits for med students.

2. Free copy of Emergency Medicine's Top Clinical Problems, a reference book to use on your EM rotations.

3. Free online access to the Medical Student Survival Guide, written by the founders and leaders in our field.

4. Free access to EMRAMatch (www.emramatch.org), the best resource to help you learn more about EM residencies

5. Free access to EMRA's website, which is FULL of content and articles to help you during the match process.

6. Free access to EMRA's Residency Fair, the largest one out there, held at Scientific Assembly in October.

7. Free educational conference, which will be greatly expanded this year, with educational tracks on Student Life and Road to Residency.

And as you graduate med school and land your residency of choice, EMRA continues to provide services and resources better than anyone. Hands down.

Email me if you have any questions!

Jeremy Rogers, MD
President, EMRA
[email protected]

Peter Parker said:
After looking into this a bit more, I think AAEM is an easy "first step" to join for a few reasons ... http://www.aaemrsa.org/membership/student_benefits.php

1. It's free for the 1st year ($50 afterward).

2. You get free online and Palm access to Rules of the Road for Medical Students -- a 400+ page guide/bible of sorts for students wanting to match in EM.

3. If you like what you see, then you can pay for the next year. It's pay for performance!

jsrogers said:
Obviously, I have a biased perspective, but EMRA offers the best benefits for medical students hands down. Allow me to list a few:

1. Active Medical Student Governing Council who is always looking to bring more resources and benefits for med students.

2. Free copy of Emergency Medicine's Top Clinical Problems, a reference book to use on your EM rotations.

3. Free online access to the Medical Student Survival Guide, written by the founders and leaders in our field.

4. Free access to EMRAMatch (www.emramatch.org), the best resource to help you learn more about EM residencies

5. Free access to EMRA's website, which is FULL of content and articles to help you during the match process.

6. Free access to EMRA's Residency Fair, the largest one out there, held at Scientific Assembly in October.

7. Free educational conference, which will be greatly expanded this year, with educational tracks on Student Life and Road to Residency.

And as you graduate med school and land your residency of choice, EMRA continues to provide services and resources better than anyone. Hands down.

Email me if you have any questions!

Jeremy Rogers, MD
President, EMRA
[email protected]

You had me, but the Student eApplication seems to be down. Is that temporary, or has it just not been set up yet?

ncc