Safe to buy mcat prep books early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vin5cent0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about asking for the books I need for xmas so I can avoid the expense of them later on. How often do they change? I won't be studying for ~5 months after I get them.

I'm just following SN2ed's study guide, which includes:

$150 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem

$26 for EK Verbal 101

$26 EK Bio 1001

$30 EK Bio

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Total = $477 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

$18 EK Physics 1001

$20 EK O-Chem 1001

$19 EK Chem

Should I be ok getting them this far in advance?

Ty

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about asking for the books I need for xmas so I can avoid the expense of them later on. How often do they change? I won't be studying for ~5 months after I get them.

$150 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem

$26 for EK Verbal 101

$26 EK Bio 1001

$30 EK Bio

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Total = $477 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

$18 EK Physics 1001

$20 EK O-Chem 1001

$19 EK Chem

Ty

Ty

depends on the company...most usually update every couple of years

You'll be fine. The only book you might want to hold off until later is BR Physics. I know they're coming out with a new version with a better EM chapter. However, I forgot when. I think the new version might have been released back in October.

price for TBR books went up to $60 bucks a piece. i actually mailed in a payment for the old price 3 days after i saw them change the price and they shipped it to me. But i used the old order form and backdated my check. i figured if my payment arrived late, usps could be blame for they delay and it'll be safe to assume that i mailed it before the prices was changed. The latest TBR are from 2009 so they shouldn't be having many changes. i actually bought the bio from someone who took the class this summer and Part 2 seems to be the one that was last edited (2009), part one is still 08. i saw someone list the physics set on craigslist for $30 3 days go...keep an eye out

EK books i paid about $25 bucks or a little less for the verbal and bio on amazon, and $17 the rest. add them to your cart and check the gold box deals and grab them when they offer extra discounts. i saved about $10 off the regular discount by buying them when they were offered as extra deals

It's not bad to buy certain books in advance.i bought my nova physics book 2 years ago when amazon had it at a cheap discount. i purchased my EK books and have TPR and i don't start studying for the exam till next year. I was gonna wait to buy TBR books next May but when i saw the price jump up, i figured it's better to send in a payment while it's possible to assume the payment was mailed in before the price change.

I believe the new version for TBR physics was released earlier. I bought the bio from someone who took the class and the physics books he had were different from the old ones i'd seen.