Safe to eliminate odd-man out answers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingMan

Avoid Arrogance
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I know for Verbal, if two answers say the same thing--they are generally wrong.
I was wondering if we could do the reverse kind of with PS and BS.

Looking at AAMC7, I realized I choose an odd man out--and I'm wondering if I should have eliminated it immediately.

Question: Yadda Yadda Yadda

A. Reduces Electronic Repulsion.....
B. Reduces Electronic Repulsion.....
C. Reduces Electronic Repulsion....
D. Reduces Electronic Attraction....

I choose D, as I believed it to be correct, but I am wondering if I should have eliminated that choice as it's the odd man out?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

Looking at AAMC7, I realized I choose an odd man out--and I'm wondering if I should have eliminated it immediately.

I choose D, as I believed it to be correct, but I am wondering if I should have eliminated that choice as it's the odd man out?

Thoughts?

Generally, yes, but I've often seen:
A. I
B. II
C. III and I
D. III and II

Where based on this you'd be tempted to think that III must be a correct answer but it's not.

Just be careful.

I would use it only as a last resort. Once you include a reason in the answer, it becomes easy to design questions which have a correct answer in either of the two groups.

AAMC seems to prefer two yes/two no answers anyway.

Hey All,

Thoughts?

Just looking at the answer, electrons do not attract... They repel... I would eliminate it just based on that.

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
NOT a good strategy, generally speaking. This can hurt you in the physical sciences section! There is an AAMC practice test where they ask you which nucleus would generate an NMR signal...only one of the answer choices has an odd (vs even) atomic mass, and that's the right answer.

I certainly saw other similar situations in the science sections where the "odd answer out" was correct rather than incorrect on my actual MCAT as well.

AAMC seems to prefer two yes/two no answers anyway.

This! (read above and be happy and wiser)

My teacher back in the paper age used to call them ToC questions (Tournament of Champions questions) where deciding yes or no is the semifinals that get you to two choices remaining for the finals. Then in the finals you have tougher opponents, so the second question is the one where you need to really focus to determine the champion answer. AAMC questions seem to often be ToC questions.