MD "Safety" School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnonymDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow SDNers,

I know 'safety' schools don't really exist in MD admissions, but I am financially constrained, so I want to avoid another application cycle if at all possible. In light of this, I'd like to make sure my list includes some schools I have a really solid chance, does anyone have any advice?

My GPA is a little low, at 3.73, but my MCAT is pretty solid at 520. I go to a 'big name' HYPSM school, although I doubt that this will help me. I have over 600 hours continuous, meaningful clinical volunteering over a 4 year period, about 150 hours nonclinical, over 3000 hours of research. I am co-author on a submitted publication, but it probably will still be in review by the time of my application. I'm a CA resident, unfortunately, so probably no safeties in my home state.

Also, I'm a white male, traditional applicant. Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Your state schools

Edit for every state but CA and of course I didnt notice the OP said they were from CA.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
State schools and mid tiers, plus new schools. And any DO school.

Examples would be, for someone with your stats:

Hofstra
Case
Rochester
Einstein
Keck
Emory
Mayo
BU
U VT
CCOM
the Coastal Touros
KCU
AZCOM

Hey fellow SDNers,

I know 'safety' schools don't really exist in MD admissions, but I am financially constrained, so I want to avoid another application cycle if at all possible. In light of this, I'd like to make sure my list includes some schools I have a really solid chance, does anyone have any advice?

My GPA is a little low, at 3.73, but my MCAT is pretty solid at 520. I go to a 'big name' HYPSM school, although I doubt that this will help me. I have over 600 hours continuous, meaningful clinical volunteering over a 4 year period, about 150 hours nonclinical, over 3000 hours of research. I am co-author on a submitted publication, but it probably will still be in review by the time of my application. I'm a CA resident, unfortunately, so probably no safeties in my home state.

Also, I'm a white male, traditional applicant. Thanks guys

Thanks! But from what I've heard about CA state schools, I assumed I shouldn't be too confident about my chances at the UCs...

I overlooked the part you said you are from CA.

For CA applicants Medical College of Wisconsin, Saint Louis, U of Arizona and UIC are some solid options to consider. Case Western and Einstein would honestly be two of the first schools I would apply to in your shoes; CWRU in particular is full of CA applicants. Both of these are big schools also; the problem with the Hofstra's and Rochester's of the world is just they are small schools. You dont need DO schools at all; just apply a little broader than a non CA applicant and youll get plenty of IIs.

Last edited:
Thank you, both these lists are very helpful! I'm also considering Tufts, Loyola and USC (although I know these are also very competitive schools). I have about 15 schools to work with, thanks to FAP, so I'm trying to choose them wisely

Edit: Just saw that Goro also suggested Keck

Last edited:
Thank you, both these lists are very helpful! I'm also considering Tufts, Loyola and USC (although I know these are also very competitive schools). I have about 15 schools to work with, thanks to FAP, so I'm trying to choose them wisely

Edit: Just saw that Goro also suggested Keck

Boosting the non clinical volunteering would help alot but if you have only 15 schools to work with a couple UCs, Keck, Medical College of Wisconsin, Saint Louis, CWRU, Einstein and UIC would be some schools Id look at. That's probably 8 right there; throw in some top 20 schools and if there are some schools that your UG historically places alot of their graduates into those are worth consideration as well.

I think your app is solid. That GPA is a tad low but probably ok coming from your school. I'd throw in some lower tier schools in the state where you attend college as you can demonstrate ties to that geographic region. Overall, I think you are unlikely to find a spot at a top 20 but you may very well have success with some mid tiers such as Emory. Good luck.