Safety Schools: How necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TupacalipseT96

R U Still Down?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to limit myself to 15 schools. There are so many great schools out there that I'm really having difficulty picking 15. As a result, I've contemplated removing those schools that I was applying to simply as a "Safety" school from my list -- The ones I wouldn't actually be too excited about going to, but would be applying to just incase.

Is there any major downside to applying to a bunch of competitive programs, not getting accepted to any, and then (more humbly) re-applying the following year? (besides having to wait until the next cycle to try again). I know turning down an acceptance makes you look bad the next year. As a result, i'd rather apply to 15 schools I actually want to go to and get rejected from all of them than get rejected by 14 schools and only get into the one I could care less for.

Anyone else financially limited in the number schools they can apply to and considering things like this?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd rather apply to 15 schools I actually want to go to and get rejected from all of them than get rejected by 14 schools and only get into the one I could care less for.
I think you answered your own question. With your stats and URM status, you're golden pretty much anywhere as long as you're not a total douchebag in your interviews.

So I'm trying to limit myself to 15 schools. There are so many great schools out there that I'm really having difficulty picking 15. As a result, I've contemplated removing those schools that I was applying to simply as a "Safety" school from my list -- The ones I wouldn't actually be too excited about going to, but would be applying to just incase.

Is there any major downside to applying to a bunch of competitive programs, not getting accepted to any, and then (more humbly) re-applying the following year? (besides having to wait until the next cycle to try again). I know turning down an acceptance makes you look bad the next year. As a result, i'd rather apply to 15 schools I actually want to go to and get rejected from all of them than get rejected by 14 schools and only get into the one I could care less for.

Anyone else financially limited in the number schools they can apply to and considering things like this?
I haven't heard that there's any stigma attached to reapplying (provided you didn't get in anywhere) as long as you show that you've done something to improve your application in the meantime.

You may get flamed soon about "safety schools" - you'll hear that there really is no such thing as a safety school because nothing is guaranteed. Sure, you may have more competitive stats for one school versus another, but schools also judge whether you'd be a good fit for them. Applying broadly is the smart way to go if you want to get in anywhere, taking into account schools with varied average stats.

So it's up to you - would you rather get in now and possibly go to a less attractive school, or risk the chance of having to reapply (which would be a pain in the butt)? It sounds like you're willing to reapply and that you really want to limit your application because of financial reasons. So, go for it... I don't see any major downside except for the pain in the butt of having to go through apps again (which will also mean more money, but you'll have had more time to save up).

What factors are you using in making your school choices?

Members don't see this ad :)
A URM, with your stats, a graduate of Yale, with your gpa and MCAT, you should have the pick of the litter. Normally, I would say apply broadly, but assuming you are reasonably chill, you should be good to go.

Skip the safeties. Remember to be humble. You'll be ok.

If you didn't have great stats, or if you were only going to apply to 5 schools and they were all top schools, I would say you were taking a risk. But for you, coming from a great undergrad with strong scores and ECs, I don't think your plan is risky in the least. In fact you might have better luck with your top schools than if you were going to apply more broadly. Just don't be stupid; get your applications in early, putting serious thought and effort into your essays, prepare for your interviews... you'll be more than fine. If you do those things, 15 schools will be plenty.

And yeah, though SDN people tend to laugh and say "there's no such thing as a safety school", that actually supports what you're doing. No reason to apply to a school as a safety, because it really is not a safe bet anyway. Might as well use that spot for another shot at a better school, and improve your overall chance of getting into a top school.

Hey thanks for all the responses.

So far I've been choosing schools based on their reputation for giving out money, chill curriculum and/or unique/different curriculum, and location.

And then I applied to all my state schools (minus Davis...I just can't do it heh). As I hear more about school X that loves to give out money, or school Y with a unique/cool curriculum that allows you to do A, B, and C...I start to feel like I might benefit from replacing some auto-pilot schools I added to my list simply because they were my state schools, etc.

Anyway the posts have been helpful. And no I am not a douchebag, although everytime I post here my avatar seems to elicit that response lol. Good times.

Honestly, you probably have one of the most competitive applications I have seen! (I'm very jealous). On that note, chances are you will get acceptances from a majority of the most competitive schools, assuming you aren't socially inept, have bad LORs or PS. So, if you only want to go to competitive schools (you deserve it imo), then only apply to competitive schools. If you get unlucky this cycle, you'll probably get in at a top school next year.

I'd say apply to 1 or 2 safety schools that you would be happy attending. If there aren't any, just apply to the top tiers you want to attend.

So I'm trying to limit myself to 15 schools. There are so many great schools out there that I'm really having difficulty picking 15. As a result, I've contemplated removing those schools that I was applying to simply as a "Safety" school from my list -- The ones I wouldn't actually be too excited about going to, but would be applying to just .........QUOTE]

You will not need safeties, you have outrageous stats plus URM status. You will absolutely demolish this app cycle, anything outside the “top 10” would be a safety for you.

I would say regardless of your stats, have at least one safety school. Im sure you wont have a problem, but the safety schools are to catch deviations from what is expected. Maybe you interview poorly, maybe your essay just isnt taken well. A smart mouse has two holes. So even if Harvard and Mayo should be throwing themselves at you, it would be wise to have a safety.

In 365 days, the OP will be on SDN ripping his hair out and trying to decide between Harvard, Hopkins and UCSF.

Just submit your apps early so you can cancel some interviews and save money...

You're are going to get in many great schools. Enjoy your choices.

Is your avatar picture actually you?

Members don't see this ad :)

WOW...judging from your pic I know you!

If you really do get that score on the MCAT...when you do take it, then I think your list is probably solid. You would definitely get love from your state schools if the ivies fail, but like many have said before...the MCAT isnt guaranteed.

come back when you actually take it.

normally i'd call a person who applied only to such good schools a pretentious bastard, but in your case, since you're urm, the typical system doesn't apply. you'll get into 99% of them b/c of your ethnicity.

Nice work. Make sure to apply early and don't let up until you've got the acceptances in hand.

Your list looks fine. Did you ask Ed Miller about it?

Lol really? You're a Yale student? small world

Edit: yes that's me

There are quite a few Yale students/alums on SDN.

normally i'd call a person who applied only to such good schools a pretentious bastard, but in your case, since you're urm, the typical system doesn't apply. you'll get into 99% of them b/c of your ethnicity.

Hahaha. False.

He'll get into most of them because he has a 3.8 from Yale, a 37, research experience and volunteer experience, etc.

He has essentially maxed out the system.

Nice try at hating, though.

Hahaha. False.

He'll get into most of them because he has a 3.8 from Yale, a 37, research experience and volunteer experience, etc.

He has essentially maxed out the system.

Nice try at hating, though.

I thought he had a 40?

Oh. I was looking at Mr. Blue Lagoon's profile.

Well, HE got a 40.

i learned the hard way - safety schools tend to be a waste of money if your application looks pretty good. you'll waste money on apps and interviews, get in, then eventually withdraw. instead, apply to places you would actually consider. i'm pretty sure i blew about 2 grand on getting acceptances to schools i would have only gone to as a last resort.

it would have been much more fun to go to vegas and put all that cash on black. :D

Nice work. Make sure to apply early and don't let up until you've got the acceptances in hand.

Your list looks fine. Did you ask Ed Miller about it?

Yea Ed Miller is the man. We had a nice long talk and he's actually the one who got me a one-on-one meeting with the Dean of Admissions from Stanford when he visited.

'Sup bro.

I recommend popped collars though. They really set off the look.

Don't worry, Cegar, I'll be sure to upload a less threatening, more upstanding-young-citizen pic for you come interview season.

Safety Schools: How necessary?

For you? Unnecessary. However, you can still send the intended money my way! *Muah muah!* Kisses. -THLR

It's not threatening. I was just giving you a hard time since you bore a resemblance to that picture with all the bros that I can't find.

Yes. That one. Thank you.

If you really do get that score on the MCAT...when you do take it, then I think your list is probably solid. You would definitely get love from your state schools if the ivies fail, but like many have said before...the MCAT isnt guaranteed.

come back when you actually take it.
Seriously. :laugh: Is everyone in this thread choosing to ignore this bit of info? The OP has not taken the MCAT so his 37 is bull****.

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6543451#post6543451

With that gpa, that mcat score(if you manage to score above 36), and URM status, you should have no problem getting into a top 10 medical school and I would say you are safe only applying to the top 10. However, if your picture is any indication as to your personality, humility is not your strong suit, and that can definitely hurt you. If you are indeed a douchebag, you should at least pretend not to be one during your interviews and you will be fine.

I was rejected from what I considered my safety schools. So, as others said, don't waste your time/money applying.

With that gpa, that mcat score(if you manage to score above 36), and URM status, you should have no problem getting into a top 10 medical school and I would say you are safe only applying to the top 10. However, if your picture is any indication as to your personality, humility is not your strong suit, and that can definitely hurt you. If you are indeed a douchebag, you should at least pretend not to be one during your interviews and you will be fine.
haha..how does the pic make him a douche?

Echo the sentiments of this thread. You seem like a down to earth and chill dude as well. Refreshing to say the least. Stay humble, and best of luck to you!

haha..how does the pic make him a douche?

no, no the picture doesn't make him a douche (although I gotta admit, I'm not a fan of using sunglasses at night). What I said is that his avatar does not exactly show the humblest of poses. I think the picture exudes a sense of cockiness. I said that IF he was a douche, he should hide his douchiness during his interviews. And now I sound like douche.

Lol jesus, I changed my avatar pic. I had no idea it would elicit such a negative response. Perhaps now people will assume me to be a humble family man? I think it's kind of silly to make such assumptions from a picture, I just happen to thoroughly enjoy wearing stunna shades at night :).

And...

Seriously. :laugh: Is everyone in this thread choosing to ignore this bit of info? The OP has not taken the MCAT so his 37 is bull****.

Your comment sounds a bit hostile. I never came here professing that the score wasn't a practice score. In fact, I posted (as you know) before that it is a practice score. My point in this thread was to ask a very specific question under the assumption that I scored around 37. I havent scored less than a 36 on any practice test (6 AAMC and 4 Kaplan) in the past 5 months and I still have 2 solid weeks without class now to pour into final MCAT prep. I'm not going to wait until June 26th when I get my official scores to start asking questions like this. Even if I score a 35, the comments people make will still be just as valid in my mind. I've been studying since October of 2007 and have been consistent for awhile. If I score significantly less than I have been (<35)... I will send both you and Chubbs a cookie in the mail :).

Thank you for the rest of the responses. You make a good point that there are no true safety schools in the medical school app process so it's near wasted money to apply where I don't actually want to be.:thumbup:

Lol jesus, I changed my avatar pic. I had no idea it would elicit such a negative response. Perhaps now people will assume me to be a humble family man? I think it's kind of silly to make such assumptions from a picture, I just happen to thoroughly enjoy wearing stunna shades at night :).

And...

You comment sounds a bit hostile. I never came here professing that the score wasn't a practice score. In fact, I posted (as you know) before that it is a practice score. My point in this thread was to ask a very specific question under the assumption that I scored around 37. I havent scored less than a 36 on any practice test (6 AAMC and 4 Kaplan) in the past 5 months and I still have 2 solid weeks without class now to pour into final MCAT prep. I'm not going to wait until June 26th when I get my official scores to start asking questions like this. Even if I score a 35, the comments people make will still be just as valid in my mind. I've been studying since October of 2007 and have been consistent for awhile. If I score significantly less than I have been (<35)... I will send both you and Chubbs a cookie in the mail :).

Thank you for the rest of the responses. You make a good point that there are no true safety schools in the medical school app process so it's near wasted money to apply where I don't actually want to be.:thumbup:
can you make it an oreo??? haha no...seriously Good luck

that's better. let this be a lesson. If you go into your interviews with the warm fuzzy attitude of your new avatar, you should have no problem. as stupid as it sounds, appearance matters in this game. I knew some tool who went into his interview wearing 2 ID badges hanging from his pants pocket to apparently show that he had been enrolled in a graduate program at this medical school in the past. The other ID was from another med school. Maybe he thought it would spark an interesting conversation (though it was already on his application), but in the end he was rejected. Anyways, you honestly don't need any safety schools if you manage to score that high on the mcat. You will likely have your pick from the top 10. good luck.

Man if your MCAT turns out the way the practice tests have been and your MD Applicants profile is real, you're going to have like a bajillion acceptances.

It was just too perfectly broish of a picture. I had to comment.

We all have our bro pictures though. I'm no different.

There is, undoubtedly, a picture of me with a popped collar, sunglasses, and a can of natty ice somewhere on the internet.

It was just too perfectly broish of a picture. I had to comment.

We all have our bro pictures though. I'm no different.

There is, undoubtedly, a picture of me with a popped collar, sunglasses, and a can of natty ice somewhere on the internet.
:thumbup: