Saint Louis University Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got a surprise invite to Saint Louis University! Very excited, and rather shocked, since I have been complete there since August.

I am going to be doing the regional interview offered at Seattle. I have heard that you don't get a full presentation, ie. information about the school, financial aid, etc. Can someone who went to SLU for an interview please post (or PM if you'd prefer) any information about the interview, what they thought of the school, impression of faculty/students, etc. According to the US News data, the school has pretty high numbers (GPA = 3.7, MCAT = 31). My GPA is right in line, but my MCAT is a little lower.

Right now I am waiting on decisions from my state school (University of Washington) and Rosalind Franklin. I love UW and would go there over any other school, but I am curious how SLU compares to Rosalind Franklin. I really loved RFU during my interview day and am sold on the school based on the great pass rates and match list. The thing that concerns me is how competitive the grading system and students seem to be...but I guess that is motivation to do well.

Thanks for the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at SLU and the facilities look pretty good. I had Dr. Drake as an interviewer and he didn't ask me any tough questions at all. You should be fine. =P

okayplayer said:
Hey everyone,

I just got a surprise invite to Saint Louis University! Very excited, and rather shocked, since I have been complete there since August.

I am going to be doing the regional interview offered at Seattle. I have heard that you don't get a full presentation, ie. information about the school, financial aid, etc. Can someone who went to SLU for an interview please post (or PM if you'd prefer) any information about the interview, what they thought of the school, impression of faculty/students, etc. According to the US News data, the school has pretty high numbers (GPA = 3.7, MCAT = 31). My GPA is right in line, but my MCAT is a little lower.

Right now I am waiting on decisions from my state school (University of Washington) and Rosalind Franklin. I love UW and would go there over any other school, but I am curious how SLU compares to Rosalind Franklin. I really loved RFU during my interview day and am sold on the school based on the great pass rates and match list. The thing that concerns me is how competitive the grading system and students seem to be...but I guess that is motivation to do well.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi okayplayer,

I'm in the same boat with you. I love UW,too, and being in a "competitive pool" sucks, right? Well, I've just scheduled my regional interview with St. Louis University on Feb 8, when is your interview? Hope to see you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
aspiringdoctor said:
Hi okayplayer,

I'm in the same boat with you. I love UW,too, and being in a "competitive pool" sucks, right? Well, I've just scheduled my regional interview with St. Louis University on Feb 8, when is your interview? Hope to see you there.

Hey! That's funny, we're in the exact same spot. I'm interviewing with SLU February 6. I'm not sure where/what time/etc. Have you heard anything else from them yet?

What are your thoughts on SLU?

Hey all,

Last year I had to make a decision after being accepted to a handful of schools (2 of which were RF and SLU). I ended up here at SLU and I can tell you why I chose it over RF. First I think it was a grading issue. All the tour guides talked about while I was at RF was grades grades grades, how smarter they felt everybody else was, class rankings, who studies most, ect. It seemed to be burned into their brains and their was definitely a feeling of competitive paranoia I didn't like. I think that exists at any medical school to some degree, but A-F grading really brings it out. At SLU the environment is generally laid back, plus a P doesn't carry the stigma that a C does. In the end class rank is what matters, but I still would hate the possibility of a C filled transcript. Another reason I didn't like RF is the fact that they have no affiliated hospital. Moving across the country sucks, and I didnt want to compound it with a move from North Chicago to Chicago after only two years. One thing I like at SLU is how the hospital is actually connected to the med school, and there is a close affiliation between the two. It is great to be able to run across the street and see what you are learning about in real patients. Third, I like the Jesuit perspective on medicine. I am not Catholic, but it is cool to have religious morals emphasized. I think we overlook the spiritual aspect of healing sometimes. Fourth, St. Louis is a fun town with lots to do. The bar-goers go out all the time, and if you aren't into that scene (I dont drink), there is something every weekend that is fun to do, and most of it is free. The zoo, museums, botanical gardens, ect. are all free to St. Louis residents. My wife loves it because she has plenty of cheap activities when I get busy with school. SLU has a lot of clinical opportunities (free med-student run clinics) if you are into that. I volunteer at La Clinica, a spanish speaking clinic run by the students. It is a good way to practice taking history, drawing blood, giving shots and keep up my Spanish skills. I know they have a Chinese clinic and an English Speaking free clinic (the HRC) as well. Lastly the administration (Dr. Wilmore, Dr. S and Dr. Smith in particular) here are great advocates and really help you prepare for your career. I already have opportunites lined up for summer research and great first year elective choices, and it is because the faculty take every opportunity to keep us informed of what is going on. The things I don't like about Saint Louis: High cost, location (it really isnt dangerous if you are smart, but the fact that you COULD get mugged isn't cool), older facilities (mainly just structural not technological since we do have recorded review sessions for anatomy labs on DVD and online, an online Histology microscope program that was super helpful, good websites for classes, ect.), and a small % of the PHD instructors. I would say I am pretty satisfied here. RF had nice facilities, but that wasn't enough to convince me. If you have any other questions, PM me.

RFU has a shockingly good residency match list, actually, but yeah as far as reputation SLU >>>>>> RFU

Don't forget about the opportunity to perhaps do some rotations at barnes-jewish or mallinckrodt hospital at Wash. in St. Louis. I'm personally really, really into rad onc and one of my grad professors, who happens to be the chair of rad onc here at UCLA, told me to check out the "world famous" rad onc department at mallinckrodt hospital at Wash U.

SLU has a good regional reputation too, you can tell because people know what you're talking about when you say "St. Louis U" vs Rosalind Franklin. Not that RFU is a bad a school at all, but reputation-wise SLU does win out.

okayplayer said:
Hey! That's funny, we're in the exact same spot. I'm interviewing with SLU February 6. I'm not sure where/what time/etc. Have you heard anything else from them yet?

What are your thoughts on SLU?

Hi okayplayer, if you want to know what time of your interview, log in your application page, click on my interview, then click View Itinerary link, you will see the time and location. I will be interviewed from 9-9:30 at Embassy Suite. Go ahead and check your itinerary link, if you couldn't find it, pm me.

Good luck with your interview.

okayplayer said:
Thanks. Mine is at the Embassy Suites too. I'm guessing the time that is highlighted in blue is our interview time? Kind of a confusing format..

yeah, the highlighted portion is the time of ur interview. gl!

Trust me, you'd welcome that move from North Chicago to the city even if you do feel settled. I think RF has a good reputation here in Chicago, and doing clerkships outside of your affiliated hospital is a good way to your foot in the door for residencies.

I didn't interview at RFU, but I did at SLU w/ Dr. Westerman, who was old school and one of the nicest interviewers I've had. No worries if you get him, and the students I stayed with really like him as a professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi people,

I am a fourth year at SLU and on my way out. I can tell you that SLU will provide you with an excellent medical education. Clinical skills are emphasized. Everyone is laid back, not snobby or egotistical at all. All of the administrative hierarchy are very nice and helpful. The education at SLU also prepares you very well for boards (USMLE steps 1 and 2), so you don't have to worry about that. And you can definitely do whatever you want to in terms of residency. We always have very good matchlists. So far in terms of early match, we have 3 in neurosurg, 5 in optho, 6 in urology. Some areas of St. Louis city can be shady but if you pick a good neighborhood to live in then you should be fine. Again, if I could change anything it would be to make the tuition cheaper but it isn't going to happen. Otherwise I think it has been great, and you shouldn't have any problems paying off your loans when you get out.

well, this might be contradictory to what others are saying, but I'll tell you my impression of the school and the city (I interviewed in dec. and have since been accepted). firstly, St. Louis is boring. This might be a result of my background of living in big cities, but I honestly have never been to a more boring "big" city (except for maybe Milwaukee). The streets of the downtown were surprisingly very dead; it just didn't seem like a fun place to spend 4 years. Even as a child, I visited St. Louis with my family, and I always remember these visits as being extremely uninteresting. With that being said, I dont know how St. Louis compares to the areas surrounding the other schools that interest you. As for the school itself, I'm sure it's a great school, and they are constructing a new research center, which I found to be cool. However, on my interview day, they did a great job of making me feel unwanted. No interaction with any deans, no real opportunity to talk to students, just an interview and then sit in a room for 3 hours until lunch with fellow interviewees. No one really tells you about the curriculum or the perks of the school; furthermore, the immediate surrounding area seems kind of dreary. anyways, just my two cents, hope this helps.

The things I don't like about Saint Louis: High cost

Where are you from? Montana?

This might be a result of my background of living in big cities, but I honestly have never been to a more boring "big" city (except for maybe Milwaukee). The streets of the downtown were surprisingly very dead; it just didn't seem like a fun place to spend 4 years.

Um.... nobody goes downtown. There are like 10 MUCH BETTER places to go for night life. Look at one of my old SLU posts for more info on these... Just because you don't where to go in the city doesn't mean those of us who do don't know to have a good time.

As for the school itself, I'm sure it's a great school, and they are constructing a new research center, which I found to be cool. furthermore, the immediate surrounding area seems kind of dreary.

My boyfriend sells equipment to research labs like this and from what he tells me SLU has no extra money for any new equipment. so pretty much they just built a brand new fancy building but nothing else will change. Surrounding area=very dreary

How many people does SLU interview, and how many acceptances are given out? Interviewed about 2 weeks ago, and waiting to hear back. Figured I would try to figure out my chances.

Also, does a waitlist from SLU usually = rejection?

I didn't interview at RFU, but I did at SLU w/ Dr. Westerman, who was old school and one of the nicest interviewers I've had. No worries if you get him, and the students I stayed with really like him as a professor.

I have my first (and maybe only) interview at SLU coming up with Dr. Westerman. Good to hear he's nice and a good professor...any tips for the interview? Thanks....I'm kind of nervous!

I'm interviewing with Dr. Willmore in newport beach, california (marriot) and am wondering if anyone has any advice/tips/insight? This is my 3rd interview but from what i read SLU seems like a really awesome school and i'm getting nervous!

I have my first (and maybe only) interview at SLU coming up with Dr. Westerman. Good to hear he's nice and a good professor...any tips for the interview? Thanks....I'm kind of nervous!

I don't have any specifics, but just relax, be yourself, and go the the SDN interview feedback and practice with some of the questions other people have posted, such that you at least have an answer for the questions.. you don't wanna be going "um...." when he asks "why medicine" or "what was ur biggest challege"

oh and GOOD LUCK!

if its any consolation, SLU just upped its class size to 175

Me too, maybe I'll see you there ;) Do you happen to know which room we go to, or do we just ask at the front desk?

From what everyone has told me, Dr. Willmore is super easy to talk to so I'd just prepare to answer the typical questions.

I'm interviewing with Dr. Willmore in newport beach, california (marriot) and am wondering if anyone has any advice/tips/insight? This is my 3rd interview but from what i read SLU seems like a really awesome school and i'm getting nervous!

Me too, maybe I'll see you there ;) Do you happen to know which room we go to, or do we just ask at the front desk?

From what everyone has told me, Dr. Willmore is super easy to talk to so I'd just prepare to answer the typical questions.

Thanks i'm interviewing at 2pm on 2/13 u? and i was just planning on going to the front desk...

I interviewed with Dr. Willmore a few years back (5 yrs) and we talked about fly fishing in Montana (where I'm from). He's really into fishing. It was a really relaxed interview, and he said at the end of it that I had a great chance of getting in (wink wink) and I got the letter a week later.

If you know anything about fishing (flyfishing in particular), go there.

Good luck.

I interviewed with Dr. Willmore a few years back (5 yrs) and we talked about fly fishing in Montana (where I'm from). He's really into fishing. It was a really relaxed interview, and he said at the end of it that I had a great chance of getting in (wink wink) and I got the letter a week later.

If you know anything about fishing (flyfishing in particular), go there.

Good luck.

He mentioned fly fishing to a student that was passing by while I was interviewing there and I only talked to him for about 2 minutes during lunch (I interviewed with someone else).

I interviewed today and don't think it went especially well. Has anyone been rejected post-interview this year, or do I get to pop that cherry? ;)

Sorry to hear that, hopefully it went better than you thought it did... GL

Has anyone interviewed with Dr. Shoemaker? I would like some insight into his interviews if possible!

I interviewed with Dr. Shoemaker on December 4, and it was the best interview I've ever had (in any capacity)!!! He is really conversational, and seemed like he really knew my file well. My personal statement, AMCAS activities, and non-medical background were all included. From my experience, he really tries to get a sense of the whole applicant, and doesn't try to intimidate you at all. He told me at the end of the interview that he couldn't see any reason I wouldn't get an offer, and my e-mail came two weeks later!! My interview day at SLU was my first shot, and all of my later interviews have paled in comparison. Best of luck!! :luck:

Any word on Dr. Heaney? just curious what others' experience has been

any idea on how many ppl SLU interviews? Does an interview in march equal an interview for the waitlist?

also, any ideas for housing when we go to interview there? do they offer student housing? is the school far from the airport?

They do let you stay with students. There is a "links" button in the interview section of the online status page that you can request a student host with, if I remember correctly. There are lots of affordable hotels close to the airport with free shuttles as well. Not sure how far the school is from the airport, but I believe there is a train that goes to the main campus, and a shuttle that goes from there from the medical center. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

How many people does SLU interview, and how many acceptances are given out? Interviewed about 2 weeks ago, and waiting to hear back. Figured I would try to figure out my chances.

Also, does a waitlist from SLU usually = rejection?

Anyone? How many do they interview, and how many acceptances are given out?

SLU rocks! My first choice was my state school (Iowa...which I'm in the final pool at and waiting), but I think I'm going to go there even if I get in to Iowa. I actually talked to two students who did the same thing. The cost of Iowa (being instate) and the facilities are nice, but I just really "clicked" with SLU. I love the area despite some bad press and the students I talked to (even some I met who weren't there to sell the school) all seemed very positive and honest.

I heard that SLU usually gets back to u within 2 weeks... good luck... have you heard back yet?

I heard that SLU usually gets back to u within 2 weeks... good luck... have you heard back yet?

Thanks..They told us 4-6 weeks, and Monday will be 4 weeks for me. I called admissions last week, and they told me there was no decision yet. I really liked the school, so I am hoping for an acceptance!! :D

any idea on how many ppl SLU interviews? Does an interview in march equal an interview for the waitlist?

I've heard (and if you look at MSAR) they interview around 900-1000 and accept about half that. They're upping their class size this year though so they might interview/accept more but I would assume the ratio would stay about the same. Don't know anything about interviewing for the waitlist though, sorry.

also, any ideas for housing when we go to interview there? do they offer student housing? is the school far from the airport?

I second Justin's post. There's a link on the interview scheduling page for you to set up staying with students while you're there (it's $25). That's what I did, and it was great. I took the train from the airport to their house (it costs $3.50) and they drove me to my interview the next morning (when you sign up to stay with them, they're obliged to make sure you get to your interview on time the next day, which is nice). I'd totally recommend it. The school is about a 30 min train ride from the airport. Don't take a taxi..it's like $40 vs. a $3.50 train.

Good luck!!:D

I'm not sure how many people they interview, but my interviewer said they have to accept around 450 people to fill the class.

He is old school. You should know what that means.

Has anyone had Dr. Cooper?

I had her for a regional interview. She yawned so I don't think I really nailed it. Anyone have a so-so experience and still get accepted?

I had her for a regional interview. She yawned so I don't think I really nailed it. Anyone have a so-so experience and still get accepted?

Yeah, I interviewed at SLU in early December. I didn't think the interview went all that well and it was really fast (like 15-20 minutes). The interviewer even said something to the effect of "you are giving me standard answers."

Anyway, I thought I had no chance there after that, but about 1 month later I got an email saying I was in. So, you never know. It seemed like a pretty good school, though I have since withdrawn my acceptance because of cost (I got into my state school which is well-respected and much cheaper than SLU).

SLu get back to me today. exactly one week. hope every school could have such efficient adcom. good luck to you all.

SLu get back to me today. exactly one week. hope every school could have such efficient adcom. good luck to you all.

I'm guessing it was an acceptance? If so, congrats! What the hell is taking them so long to get back to me? It's been 4 weeks and 2 days...:(

I got an acceptance from SLU yday... exactly 1 week after my interview as well! Good luck to all those still awaiting a decision... (btw my interview with Dr. Willmore was fantastic) :D

I'm from CA, I definately should have gone to a regional....it seems like all the regional interviewees find out in 1 week while everyone who went to SLU was told 4-6 weeks....what's up with that? :mad:

Congrats Anglp....we had our interviews on the same day (albiet in totally different locations)...here's hoping I hear sooooooon!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from CA, I definately should have gone to a regional....it seems like all the regional interviewees find out in 1 week while everyone who went to SLU was told 4-6 weeks....what's up with that? :mad:

Congrats Anglp....we had our interviews on the same day (albiet in totally different locations)...here's hoping I hear sooooooon!

AHA that's it. You all went to regional interviews. Thanks itonlytakesone, I was starting to stress out. I didn't know we had the option to attend a regional interview??

Anyway..hopefully I will hear back soon!

AHA that's it. You all went to regional interviews. Thanks itonlytakesone, I was starting to stress out. I didn't know we had the option to attend a regional interview??

Anyway..hopefully I will hear back soon!

I think the regional interviews were on the west coast (LA, Seattle, etc)...glad I could help you out but c'mon!! I thought I was doing myself a favor flying out to SLU to actually get a look at the school I'm applying to/show the ADCOM I'm interested...and we get the longer wait.

At my interview I was told 4-6 weeks and after 4 weeks a 'politely worded e-mail' requesting status would be appropriate....so it's only been a week for me, but if I were you, I'd get right on that ha ha ha....good luck!!!

I think the regional interviews were on the west coast (LA, Seattle, etc)...glad I could help you out but c'mon!! I thought I was doing myself a favor flying out to SLU to actually get a look at the school I'm applying to/show the ADCOM I'm interested...and we get the longer wait.

At my interview I was told 4-6 weeks and after 4 weeks a 'politely worded e-mail' requesting status would be appropriate....so it's only been a week for me, but if I were you, I'd get right on that ha ha ha....good luck!!!

I know! And it seems like most of the regionals are getting accepted! I already made a "politely worded phone call" :D on monday which was exactly 4 weeks after interview, and I was told there was no decision yet. I don't want to push them by calling/emailing again. Maybe I can call again on Monday at the 5 week mark?? Or no? I can't take the wait!!

I also interviewed regionally w/ cooper, but haven't heard back yet. she wasn't too enthused in my interview either, so hopefully that's just her style..

btw: thats one bad ass avatar - is it symbolic of anything?