Saint Louis University (SLU) vs. University of Missouri (Mizzou)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical school do you think I should attend?

• SLU

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Mizzou

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

WaterCLurker

Aspiring Jedi Knight
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm entirely aware that I might have a lopsided view of the two schools because I have no experience with SLU and a lot of experience, both good and bad, with Mizzou.

Also, I'd very much like to leave Missouri for a residency in the northeast (strong ties).

Saint Louis University

Pros:
  • In St. Louis
    • Large city - lots to do in terms of activities
    • Urban under-served population
      • Presumably busier trauma – I could completely see myself going into EM
  • Large class that pulls students from across America - greater diversity in the student body
  • Seemed to be a great deal of support for students
    • true P/F - no internal ranking
    • serious concern for student health
    • very approachable professors - weekend office hours offered
    • seemed to have a good support system for residency matching
  • Residency matches across America
    • Students have matched into some of the residency programs that I may like to attend
  • Mostly traditional lecture-based learning (recorded, not mandatory, etc.)
  • A clean slate
Cons:
  • Higher tuition (but this actually doesn't matter all that much to me because GI Bill)
  • Lower avg STEP score in comparison with Mizzou (on par with national average, I believe)
  • Fewer opportunities for research it seems, but I'm not 100% clear about this
  • Tenet kind of ran SLU Hospital into the ground (SLU Hospital was recently acquired by SSM though), a lot of good doctors left and a couple of programs crashed and burned in terms of national ranking in the last decade, including some that I might be interested in
  • Potentially more cons that I'm not aware of because I'm an undergrad at Mizzou and not SLU

University of Missouri

Pros:
  • Cheaper tuition (but again, doesn't really matter all that much)
  • Consistently higher avg STEP (several points higher than national average)
  • Went here for undergrad so I'm friendly with several doctors in a specialty that I like and have worked as a student in their department for years
    • Many more opportunities for research?
    • Many more opportunities for networking?
  • PBL curriculum - they go all in and it honestly seems like it works, if the STEP scores are any indication
  • I'm more familiar with the area, the transition would not be as difficult and I've already have a bit of a life here
Cons:
  • In Columbia, which is very much a college town
  • nearly 90% Missouri residents so very little in terms of student body diversity
  • Seems like there may not be as much support for the students
    • it's all peer to peer teaching
    • PBL does not have professors per se, there's no one to help when you need help?
    • much less structure - apparently students can use whatever textbook they like and no two students uses the same (or just about, anyways)
  • focuses very much on rural medicine and family medicine - two areas I will never have any interest in
    • mostly rural under-served population
  • Matches to residencies mostly in the midwest - true that it's probably all based on preference but how could I have a chance at the northeast if no one has ever heard of Mizzou before?
  • The terrible terrible press that Mizzou is now nationally known for...
    • subsequent 32 million budget deficit projected for next year and the indefinite hiring freeze
    • don't know if any of this will affect the medical school though
  • 10% - 20% chance I'll get lottery'ed and shipped out to Springfield, MO for my last two years - something I absolutely do not want at all. I've got a family and I can't just move willy-nilly. It's also at a hospital with a bad reputation for patient care and that's never had either residents or medical students before.

Tl;dr : I suppose it all comes down to curriculum and risk. PBL seems like a high risk, high reward scenario. Get through it and you're super prepared (with potentially great LORs). Get lost and fail out of med school. Also, the chance that I might be unwillingly shipped off to Springfield is far too high for my preference (0%).

I know that I'll be much happier living in St. Louis but I don't want to live happily for 4 years and then get stuck at a less desirable residency program for the next 3-5 years.

Opinions? Is this grass is greener on the other side syndrome (looking at SLU from Mizzou)? Or are they actually offering free cocaine on the other side of the fence?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would love some current student input! This is a great breakdown. The major tripping point for me with Mizzou is the chance that I could be lotteried out to Springfield! OP, which did you choose?