Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Saint Louis University

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by PathApp82, Dec 19, 2008.

1. PathApp82

Medical Student
    Does anyone know anything about the pathology residency program at Saint Louis University?

They are the only program I didn't receive an interview invitation from and I was just wondering if anyone knew how many applicants they traditionally interview each year. Also, I wanted to see if anyone else here had a similar experience or if anyone here DID get an interview invitation from them. Just curious. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pianoboe01

Pianoboe01 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When I interviewed at Wash U, I heard SLU is having major problems, but I don't know specifics. Apparently a couple residents have transferred from SLU to Wash U.

4. Auer Rod

Medical Student
    I heard the same thing. When I made a trip out to St. Louis, I was warned by a few people to avoid applying to SLU for path. They are still searching for a Chairman and have lost a lot of faculty and a few residents.

I wouldn't take any offense to them not offering you an interview. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't participate in the match this year.

5. Napoleon1801

10+ Year Member

I've gotten all my interviews too, except for SLU. I emailed them saying that I really needed to find out if I was going to get an interview so I could budget ahead of time, but I got no response from them. All I have is that mysterious email in November that said if you don't get an interview invite in December then you haven't been selected. From what these other posters are saying, it sounds like SLU is a sinking ship. Maybe they'll get some people through the scramble. :rolleyes:

6. PathApp82

Medical Student
    Thanks for the info! From what people are saying it sounds like a program I wouldn't want to be at anyway. Never a good sign when the residents are bailing ship...

7. longlakeboy

longlakeboy Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They didn't go through the match last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the same this year. They didn't tell me that, I had to hear it through the grapevine, despite the fact that I was a student there and did two rotations. Until that point I was left wondering why I was getting interviews at all of these great programs in other cities but couldn't get one from my own school.

8. SLUsagar

SLUsagar rock chalk jayhawk
    10+ Year Member

i hate to rip on my alma mater, and despite the fact that it's been a few years since i've left and move on to a bigger and better residency program, but i've both heard and chatted with some of the residual path folks at SLU and they've told me that things right now are a mess. Their chair basically got run out of the job last year and they're still looking for a replacement, in addition to basically ANY pathologist willing to work (proof: see any of the recent pathologyoutlines.com job lists, and you'll see like 3+ from SLU looking for pathologists). They basically started on a downward spiral after one of their allstars, Beth Brunt (liverpath GURU), left for neighboring WashU.

So until they get their act together, do your research before applying. Perhaps by next year things will straighten out. The medschool has great path faculty and teachers, hell i learned a lot of path at SLU, which really helped me land my residency spot out West. I know WashU pretty well and I think they're a very strong midwest program, perhaps one of the tops in the region, with some of the Chicago schools and Clev Clinic in the same caliber (if you consider CC midwest).

9. longlakeboy

longlakeboy Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

10. Ziehl-Neelsen

Ziehl-Neelsen I'm perfectly calm, dude.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As another disappointed SLU alumnus, I can only echo what has been said here... If you are an applicant with other prospects, under no circumstances should you apply to SLU.

Of interest to those familiar with the program... I graduated in 2007 and interviewed with the department just before the apocalypse. Dr. Herrera(an AFIP trained, nationally recognized nephropathologist) was the new chair and had great plans for the department, including a renal fellowship and a significant increase in research funding. And with great teachers like Dr. Janney, Dr. Brunt, Dr. Brink, and Dr. Vogler, I thought that the program was on the rise. In fact, 2 of my classmates chose to stay at SLU, and while I liked the program, I matched elsewhere due to my military commitment.

I spoke to my brother in law who was finishing his Phd there last year, and he attributed the devestation to the new dean. Apparently, the new dean made massive cuts in all departments which led to an exodus of the doctoral research faculty as well as clinical faculty. Dr. Herrera fought it for a while, saw the writing on the wall, and took a position at Bostwick's consult group; the senior faculty followed suit (for the most part) leaving for greener pastures. The ones I really feel for are the residents who are the collateral damage in the whole process. Thankfully, it seems like many were able to go to Wash U, which has had problems filling classes the last couple of years for whatever reason.

#9 Ziehl-Neelsen, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009